"They Walk Among Us...."

Discussion in 'General Community Discussions' started by BankShot, Feb 5, 2017.

1. BankShot

BankShot
    Expand Collapse

So, there I am doing some pre-checks on the motorhome prior to our upcoming trip and a new neighbor down the road walks by and stops to say hello. Some short introductions and he says, "Nice motorhome you have there, how do you like it, etc." After answering a few more questions he asked, "What kind of mileage do you get with that thing", to which I replied, about 7.5 mpg. He seemed a bit startled to here my response and said that was really terrible mileage and that he thought it would get a lot better than that. I told him with a slight laugh nope, that's what it gets, uphill, downhill, into the wind or with a tailwind. He then said that he was glad he didn't have one like that. Some more small talk followed and I casually asked him if he had ever owned an RV. He said no and that his "toy" he enjoyed and used a lot was his mid 80s Ford Bronco that he had built up with huge tires and big engine, and "fourteen" (exaggeration on my part) shocks on each wheel, etc. I told him I'd like to see it sometime as I had also owned that same type of Bronco at one time. I asked him what kind of mileage he got out on the road with it as he said he had built it for both off road and highway use. His response................."Oh I get around 7-8 mpg on a good day". I don't believe I have to go any further with this story, his response told the rest of it . They walk among us.............. o_O

BankShot.............(aka Terry)

#1 BankShot, Feb 5, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2017
    Tallboy, Cyclonic, mdcamping and 3 others like this.
  2. RLM

RLM
    Expand Collapse

How do we know that you aren't one that"walks among us". :D

BankShot likes this.
  3. BankShot

BankShot
    Expand Collapse

You don't know because I don't walk, I creep around unnoticed and incognito most of the time.........:D

4. mdcamping

mdcamping
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

I remember my old 1993 F150, would get 12 MPG going down hill, with a tail wind and this was without towing!! While towing if I got bored I would just watch the gas needle drop to E :D

Mike

BankShot likes this.
  5. Rollin Ollens

Rollin Ollens
    Expand Collapse

I had a old Dodge P U that had a 440 CID with a Holly 850 double pump. I used to say, stepping on the gas was the equivalent of flushing a toilet with gas. But it would pass everything except a gas station.

BankShot likes this.
  6. BankShot

BankShot
    Expand Collapse

I think the next time I see this guy I am going to ask him something to the effect of, "Hey, we both have "fun" vehicles that get the same mileage but can your wife get up and grab you a sandwich and drink, or go to the bathroom while you're tooling down the road almost as high off the ground, with those huge tires you have, as I am?" Wonder what his response will be to that.............. :D

BankShot.............(aka Terry)

7. Cyclonic

Cyclonic
    Expand Collapse

As soon as you said 80's Ford Bronco I knew where that was going.

Cool truck to have though.