Class C option 350 Ford or 4500 Chevy

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Paythebill, Apr 16, 2018.

1. Paythebill

Paythebill
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

We are seeking the wisdom of all who have experience with either the 350 Ford chassis or the 4500 chev chassis for a class C motorhome.
    This past weekend the DW and I disgusted the possibility of upgrading to a class C motorhome from a 26 TT.
    Once I got the DW onboard with the idea, off we went to go shopping for the perfect unit. At one dealer, we came across a unit we feel will fit our needs. In fact there were two units, both from the same manufactor with exactly the same options and trim and same price. The only difference between the two was the chassis. One was on the 350 Ford chassis with a v10 engine, the other is on the 4500 chev chassis with the 6.0 engine. Both are gas. Presently, TV for the 26 TT is a chevy 2500HD with 6.0 engine. This truck is just outstanding, I have nothing but good service from the truck. I really have no brand loyality but I wonder why the motohome manufactor offers two different chassis options and why would a buyer select one over the other.
    Not trying to start a war over Ford vs Chevy, but there has got to be some advantages and disadvantages between the two chassis.

BankShot likes this.
  2. Rollin Ollens

Rollin Ollens
    Expand Collapse

Hey Ron; I wish I could give you a real viable yea or nay for either option. I have had both although the GM was a 70s era small block 400 cid. I had no problem with the engine or drive train but the cab floor used to get so hot you could not rest your bare feet on it. I eventually added an extra heat shield to the passenger side exhaust manifold to make it bearable. I'm sure you will not have that problem. I have had two Ford V10s since then and again no major problems. I have noticed that their seems to be more Ford Chassis around than the GM for Motor Homes but I think I see more GM Pickups than Fords. Go figure!

I honestly don't think it will make that much difference. I think the Coach Body is the only thing I would worry that much about but if they are identical, you can probably flip a coin. If you are running a GM now and are happy, I would stick with it..

Sorry I couldn't be more of a help.

Darrell

BankShot and Paythebill like this.
  3. Fun finders

Fun finders
    Expand Collapse

All I can tell you is that they both have almost the same horsepower at 365,but the v10 has 375ft.lbs of torque compared to the chevys 375 ft.lbs. If you will be towing a toad the v10 would be a better choice in my opinion.

Paythebill likes this.
  4. Fun finders

Fun finders
    Expand Collapse

Sorry the v10 has 457ft.lbs of torque not 375

Paythebill likes this.
  5. Fitzjohnfan

Fitzjohnfan
    Expand Collapse

This is kinda comparing apples to oranges, and full disclosure, I'm more of a Chevy guy, but, my first motorhome was a 33', 1991 class A Tiffin Allegro Bay with a Ford 460 engine. I now own a 1989 32' Fleetwood Southwind with the Chevy 454 engine. I have the impression, I had fewer mechanical problems with the Chevy, but keep in mind, I had the Ford when I was younger, and not as knowledgable about preventive maintenance.

Chris g.

Paythebill likes this.
  6. NYDutch

NYDutch
    Expand Collapse

The Ford Triton V10 is a much different critter than the previous 460 V8, and as mentioned, the V10 has more torque than the Chevy V8. That extra torque would be most noticed when towing and/or climbing hills. The coach manufacturers offer both cab/chassis combinations for much the same reasons they offer different floor plans, to appeal to different buyers tastes. Whether it's brand preference, dash layout, seating, etc., having the brand choice lets dealers appeal to a wider segment of buyers.

BankShot and Paythebill like this.
  7. Paythebill

Paythebill
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

Thank you to all that responded to my request. It does make sense that a manufactor would offer more chassis options, thus marketing to a wider segmant of potential buyers. The differences between the two chassis and engines configurations in my opinion are very minor. So I will test drive them both and go with the one that feels right.

BankShot, Rollin Ollens and NYDutch like this.
  8. freeLance

freeLance
    Expand Collapse