"What Method Do You Use When Backing UP?"

Discussion in 'General Community Discussions' started by BankShot, Feb 3, 2019.

?

"What Method Do You Use When Backing Up Your RV?"

Poll closed Mar 24, 2019.
  1. Use hand signals from my co-pilot

33.3%
  2. Use Walkie-Talkies

38.1%
  3. Use park or campground personnel

4.8%
  4. I do it alone w/o assistance

38.1%
  5. Let someone else do it

4.8%
  6. Other method_______________________________________________________________________________

23.8%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. BankShot

BankShot
    Expand Collapse

Just a quick thanks to all who participated in this poll. With 30 responses the use of "Walkie-Talkies" and "Doing it alone w/o assistance" were a dead heat tie with 8 votes each. I have great respect for those that are both willing and able to maneuver their RVs in and out of sites, etc. with no aid from anyone or anything but their mirrors and on board cameras. I've done it a few times and lucked out but most of the time whenever I do try my ever watchful eyes co-pilot intercedes, grabs a Talkie and goes out to start barking out those three infamous commands, "tail right, tail left, and straight back". And of course my response to each is a proper "yes dear".............:D

BankShot............(aka Terry)

2. Dujazz

Dujazz
    Expand Collapse

I'm a newbie to RV'ing, but have driven delivery trucks over 35' with only mirrors with out ever a problem. We rented a 27' RV with back-up camera and while driving in a park, came across an overpass too low to go under. Did a three point left turn on the road just in front of the bridge and when backing, the rear of the RV was over the side of the road and I caught (just touched) the very top of the ladder with a tree limb that I couldn't see in the back up camera(pointed mostly down) or the side mirrors. I was in the road, so didn't take the time to get out and survey the area, but having a spotter whenever possible seems like the safest way to make sure you don't hit something difficult to see.

mdcamping, Paythebill and NYDutch like this.
  3. BankShot

BankShot
    Expand Collapse

Hi Dujazz and welcome to the CGR forum. There are folks that are able to back up under most circumstances without the aid of anything but their mirrors and on board camera monitoring systems, however I have always preferred having my trusty co-pilot outside and at the ready with her walkie-talkie to let me know if I am coming to close to hitting something, etc. I'd much rather have her scream at me than me to cause costly damage to our coach. Takes just one time and one miscalculation to have that happen. Hope to see more posts from you as you travel on down the road. Be sure to post reviews for the places you do stay at................

Regards, BankShot..............(aka Terry)_

mdcamping, Paythebill and NYDutch like this.
  4. Jason Goodwin

Jason Goodwin
    Expand Collapse

Ive always thought that just having my Missus hurl both advice and abuse at me whilst reversing did the trick Terry....... @BankShot :D:po_O

5. BankShot

BankShot
    Expand Collapse

-----------------------------------------------------------------
    Tell us Jason. When you blokes back up down there, does being on the wrong side of the road mean that you have do go right instead of left and vice versa.............:p

Regards, Terry...............(aka BankShot)

Jason Goodwin and Paythebill like this.
  6. Luvtheroad

Luvtheroad
    Expand Collapse

We usually scream at each other at the top of our lungs, affording much amusement to anyone passing by, and then sulk for a couple of hours. It seems to have been working for the last nine years, as we haven't side-swiped anything yet (fingers crossed....we'll be taking off again next Friday).

7. BankShot

BankShot
    Expand Collapse

Ah ha - - - So that's who was doing all the yelling a screaming at one of the parks we stayed at on our last trip!!! Man, you folks really get going don't you..........:eek: Does the park manager ever come by to let you know you are bothering others with your outbursts.............:p

Travel quietly, BankShot............(aka Terry)