What car should I rent in NYC

Discussion in 'Destinations and RV Parks' started by RealCar, Oct 22, 2019.

Tags:
  1. RealCar

RealCar
    Expand Collapse

I'm planning on driving along Rt. 66 as a graduation present for myself. I'm going to rent a car because mine is not stable enough to make the trip. I'm going by myself, so I don't need a lot of space, but I'd like to have a cool car (a convertible would be nice). Any suggestions?

2. Paythebill

Paythebill
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

I would rent a Tesler..way cool:rolleyes:

BankShot likes this.
  3. BankShot

BankShot
    Expand Collapse

'''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''
    Hey Paythebill - - - I believe the name is Tesla?,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,:p

Regards, BankShot...........(aka Terry)

Paythebill likes this.
  4. Paythebill

Paythebill
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

Bankshot you are absolutely correct... be it spelled Tesler or Tesla, still a very cool car...:oops::oops:

BankShot likes this.
  5. Anniston

Anniston
    Expand Collapse

I couldn't agree with you more.

6. docj

docj
    Expand Collapse
    RVing Expert

As cool as a Tesla may appear to be, if you're planning to drive it out of the city across country, I, for one, wouldn't want to be dependent on the available charging stations. With all due respect to any Tesla enthusiasts, if you examine, in detail, the charging station location map (available on the Tesla website) you may discover that there aren't all that many near where you expect to be.

Recently, I examined the map for the area of coastal TX south of Houston. As I recall there were ~3-4 supercharger stations in all of Houston, one in Victoria and none in Corpus Christi, which had ~5 regular chargers, all at hotels. I guess if I wanted to plan my trip around charging stations it might be doable, but it's not the way I would want to plan my vacation JMO.

mdcamping and Paythebill like this.
  7. Onemoretrail

Onemoretrail
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

See if you can rent an older Corvette like the one in the 60s TV Show, Route 66. Now that would be cool.

Paythebill, BankShot and mdcamping like this.
  8. mdcamping

mdcamping
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

If I was doing this trip and If I had a choice between a Corvette or Tesla it would definitely be the Corvette! :cool: :cool:

Mike

Onemoretrail, Paythebill and BankShot like this.
  9. docj

docj
    Expand Collapse
    RVing Expert

Of course, you'd have to pack all your clothes in a briefcase!! :D

10. BankShot

BankShot
    Expand Collapse

Bring me back my '62 Corvette fuelie, an unlimited gas card, start me out west and while we're at it, give me permission to drive as fast or as slow as I want to, and I'd be outta here in a Meadow Vista second heading east of old Route 66.......... Oh Yeah!!!

BankShot...............(aka Terry)

Paythebill and Onemoretrail like this.
  11. Paythebill

Paythebill
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

Oh ya, I will have to agree. Forget the Tesla, go '62 corvette, rag top, 427 engine, hurst T-handle shifter on the floor. dual straight exhaust. Oh those were the days

Onemoretrail and BankShot like this.
  12. BankShot

BankShot
    Expand Collapse

-------------------------------------------------------------
    OH NO Paythebill !.!.! :eek: First I had to correct you on how to spell Tesler (oops make that Tesla) and now it appears you need just a slight refresher course on the '62 Corvette Rag top yes, as that was the only way to fly. 427 engine NO as the '62 came with a 327. Hurst T-handle shifter possibly, but only if you wanted to replace the excellent T-10 that it came with. Dual straight exhaust were illegal for street use but sure did make that ferocious 327 sing, and sing loudly....:D I installed a set of racing headers on mine that opened up thru a set of large capped cutouts on each side and yet I was still able to drive legally on the street by having the openings capped. Those were the days alright. Brings back lots of memories just typing here about them. Brings back thoughts about the old Cannonball Run me thinks............:cool: Thanks for them memories..............

Terry................(aka BankShot):)

Onemoretrail and Paythebill like this.
  13. Paythebill

Paythebill
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

LOL, oh my, oh my, Bankshot is correct again...:oops: the '62 corvette did come factory stock with a 327. 427 did not appear until '66 factory stock. But, if I remember correctly it was possible to shoehorn in a 427 into a '62 chassis. Ever hear the term sleeper? In my grease monkey/shade tree days we did some crazy things, like the time we modified a corvair with a 327. A total sleeper, fooled everyone. Made a few bucks with illegal street drag racing. Once the secret got out, it all came to an end..:(

Onemoretrail likes this.
  14. Janet H

Janet H
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

For a long trip I would go for COMFORT. For Route 66 driving solo I would choose a BMW or Mercedes Convertible. 30 mpg and all the new leather interior you could ever want. I know that Hertz has a fleet of premium rentals and probably other companies do as well

Paythebill likes this.
  15. leaf peeper

leaf peeper
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

For that long of a drive, comfort is the driving (pun intended) factor. Having owned BMW's, they don't have the cushy seats I'd require for long distance driving..at least none of the ones I had did. Also, having a convertible (66 'Stang), when driving highway speeds for long distances you'll be wind-blown to death.

I'd go for a Cadillac CTS with a panoramic sunroof. Heated or AC pillow-soft seats & opening the panoramic sunroof allows the airflow without the windburn. Plus, Cadillac's aren't your grandpa's car anymore - they're pretty sexy.

Lori-

Paythebill likes this.
  16. RLM

RLM
    Expand Collapse

I realize that this is an old thread, but I just could not help myself in making a reply (the Devil made me do it). I'd suggest renting an armored car if going to NYC. :)

mdcamping and docj like this.