Health concerns while traveling

Discussion in 'Trip Planning and Travel Concerns' started by treesprite, Mar 6, 2020.

1. treesprite

treesprite
    Expand Collapse

I'm curious about whether RV travelers are taking any extra precautions related to Corona virus. Are people changing their location plans at all, maybe going to more remote, less populated areas?

There are now 3 confirmed cases in my county, and about a dozen unconfirmed, so you might want to avoid the DC area (it's not like there are good RV spots here anyway....).

Dennis H and Paythebill like this.
  2. NYDutch

NYDutch
    Expand Collapse

We're paying more attention to hand washing and hand sanitizer use, but no other changes at this point.

The5goodwins, Pokeys1 and Paythebill like this.
  3. BankShot

BankShot
    Expand Collapse

We, like many others are concerned about this new virus, that according to the media and other sources is slowly taking root in this country. I, like many others , also feel the media is hyping it all just a tad more than necessary but in saying that we also are taking precautions not to be in areas that are congested like airports, indoor concerts and shopping malls, etc. We live in a fairly rural area and yet who knows who could drive in to visit family or friends and unknowingly be a carrier. So in essence there really is no "safe" place for any contagious virus that spreads by contact, or is air borne. We are not going to stop traveling and staying at RV parks, etc. but we will not be attending certain "gatherings" in clubhouses or going to places where there are "crowded venues". Who knows where this will go from here, let's just all hope and pray that a vaccine is produced soon that will help contain and stop it from spreading. I have my own thoughts and ideas of how this whole thing got started but this is not the place to be discussing that so I won't. Hope there are no members on CR that have been exposed and that nobody comes down with it. The summer season is just ahead and it's time to get the wheels a rollin', and that's exactly what we are planning to do. Got to go wash my hands now before I pick up this delicious apple fritter that's staring up at me from the plate to my left....:D

Safe and healthy travels to all, BankShot..............(aka Terry)

#3 BankShot, Mar 6, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2020
    The5goodwins, Dennis H and Paythebill like this.
  4. mdcamping

mdcamping
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

Seems to be leveling off in China, with summer around the corner hoping everywhere else will do the same. Yup just keep washing my hands.

Mike

5. Paythebill

Paythebill
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

I feel the same way about the news media. Everytime I hear another confirmed case on this virus, I ask the question, "Gee, I wonder how many individuals now have the Flu and of those with the Flu how many have died." For some reason the news media does not bring up those stats. As in years past during the flu/virus season, I will follow the CDC guidelines.

The5goodwins likes this.
  6. treesprite

treesprite
    Expand Collapse

I work for an agency that has to promote disease prevention, so this is just a few more emails on top of what they already send. However, the usual supply of prevention paraphernalia is depleted because the vendor sources are all out of supplies.

Terry,
    you need to come to the DC area, walk into any random Starbucks, talk to any random person. I hate this area for a lot of reasons, but the people here are a lot less likely to voluntarily sit in the dark.

At least this isn't the T-virus.

7. NYDutch

NYDutch
    Expand Collapse

I think the difference between the flu's 0.1% death rate and COVID-19's current 3.4% death rate is rather significant...

The5goodwins and Paythebill like this.
  8. Quaffnardy

Quaffnardy
    Expand Collapse

There are 1,832 confirmed cases and 41 deaths in the US already, I hope it doesn't get worse like what is happening in Italy now with 15,113 cases and 1,016 deaths.

9. treesprite

treesprite
    Expand Collapse

The age distribution is unusual. It kind of makes me think this is the real life prequel to Logan's Run.

Fitzjohnfan likes this.
  10. Fitzjohnfan

Fitzjohnfan
    Expand Collapse

I like the "Logan's Run" theroy but the virus would have to kill everyone over 30.

I'm also glad it's not the T-virus!

Here's my made up thought (not true, fake news): What if this was created by the government to reduce the ranks of the baby boomers to help Social Security last longer so they don't have to cut benefits?

BTW, Covid-19, reason # 39 to travel by RV, instead of by plane.

Just random thoughts. We are not changing any plans, as of yet. Still hoping to go to Durango, CO in late June or July.

Chris g.

The5goodwins and treesprite like this.
  11. treesprite

treesprite
    Expand Collapse

I would have had the same thought about baby boomers, except that it didn't come from the USA (does China have a retirement program for old people?)

You're right about RVs being safer than planes, but people can't cross the ocean in them. Wouldn't it be great if they could travel under water? Now I'm wondering if there are private RV submarines.

Supposedly at least one scientist from the lab admitted the virus came from there. That could be fake news, but given that the country is China, I wouldn't doubt them putting a gag on information.

I'm not scared, but I don't want to use leaves so please everyone stop hording toilet paper out of panic! At least I know FT RVers are not the ones doing the hording (or are they getting cargo trailers just to hailer TP?)

12. Paythebill

Paythebill
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

long for
    Long for the days when TP was the Sears catalogue....:eek:

The5goodwins, treesprite and BankShot like this.
  13. NYDutch

NYDutch
    Expand Collapse

The farmers will probably have a run on corn cobs next... ;)

The5goodwins, BankShot and Paythebill like this.
  14. BankShot

BankShot
    Expand Collapse

I went to our local market this morning and was talking with the manager. I told him I wanted to buy all the TP he had in stock and he said the store was sold out. He asked me what I wanted all the TP for and I said that I planned on setting up a stand out front and sell it for double the price. To that he just laughed and said I was too late that somebody already beat me to it. What really is up with this TP buying frenzy anyway. Am/are I/we missing something here............??? Just askin'.......:rolleyes:

BankShot.................(aka Terry)

15. Paythebill

Paythebill
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

Nothing but mass panic and hysteria. The Chicken Little effect..... "The sky is falling, the sky is falling"....

Has anyone notified the farmers to brace for the onslaught of the tp deprived?......:eek:

"CNN videos at 11"

The5goodwins likes this.
  16. NYDutch

NYDutch
    Expand Collapse

If your RV toilet has a hand sprayer rinse attachment, it can double as bidet sprayer... ;)

17. Fitzjohnfan

Fitzjohnfan
    Expand Collapse

Good point!!

Actually, we're still going off the normal bundle we purchased 3 weeks ago, but it's getting low. At least we still have the RV TP in the motorhome as a backup.

--chris g.

18. Rollin Ollens

Rollin Ollens
    Expand Collapse

We are nations of sheep. I'll bet that the reporter that started the T P mad rush is having a good laugh. Even here in back woods Arkansas paper products are sold out. No problems with the rest of groceries though. Shelves are all stocked....just no T P, Kleenex or wipes of any kind. At least no one is stealing the T P from the campground.....yet!

Sadly, I understand the Canadian Border may be closed so we have to cut our travels short. Heading back to the cold on Wednesday. :(

Darrell;

19. BankShot

BankShot
    Expand Collapse

-----------------------------------------------------------
    No worries Darrell, if you don't make it back to the border before it closes then just turn around, head south and you can hold up a while at the Park & Ride we met at right here in Meadow Vista. I'll bring down a few cases of good beer and we can weather the storm (yes it's currently snowing) telling each other tall tales of our recent travels we've made since our last meet up.............:D

Travel safely and go sparingly with the TP...........:p Terry..............(aka Bankshot)

20. NYDutch

NYDutch
    Expand Collapse

So far, the Canadian border is closed to all except Canadian and US citizens.

https://www.ctvnews.ca/health/coron...citizens-due-to-covid-19-pm-trudeau-1.4854503

The5goodwins likes this.