Health concerns while traveling

Discussion in 'Trip Planning and Travel Concerns' started by treesprite, Mar 6, 2020.

1. NYDutch

NYDutch
    Expand Collapse

Paythebill likes this.
  2. The5goodwins

The5goodwins
    Expand Collapse

Yeah guys its also happening here people really need to calm down. Toilet paper was the first. Its getting a bit crazy here with a stimulus package providing around $750AUD to about 5 million Aussies (About a quarter of us) We will get it and have already decided to spend it on travelling to support country businesses. With the impact of the devastating fires and now this it will take us a while to recover. On a good note ill be posting a trip report in April from Esk.... @Rollin Ollens more lamb on the spit mate:D

Rollin Ollens, Paythebill and NYDutch like this.
  3. treesprite

treesprite
    Expand Collapse

The stores here, in addition to paper products, are sold out of rice (go to an Asian market if you want it), some types of cereal, pasta, some types of dried beans and lentils, flour, sugar, brown sugar, most chef boyardee products (yuk, why?), most types of laundry products, most disinfectant cleaners and all cleaners that contain bleach, eye glass cleaner (it's mostly alcohol, and that's what I had to buy for alcohol), and some other things.

In addition to being out of everything, restaurants are being forced to do carryout and delivery only, and the governor says he will take away the business licenses of any places that don't comply. It's like marshall law here.

Paythebill likes this.
  4. Paythebill

Paythebill
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

Like it or not, it’s what is needed to beat this virus.

The5goodwins and NYDutch like this.
  5. docj

docj
    Expand Collapse
    RVing Expert

No offense intended but the term is "martial law" which relates to military government replacing civilian government.

Paythebill likes this.
  6. kate_wanderer

kate_wanderer
    Expand Collapse

Same here. No need to panic right now.
    As for me - I'm just trying to stay away from crowded places (busy cafeterias, malls, concerts etc.), washing/sanitizing my hands frequently, wearing a mask when I'm not feeling well and I need to go somewhere (to keep others safe since having even a regular flu is not fun).

Better stay safe and healthy, I believe, than to go anywhere - and that's why I decided to cancel one big May trip I planned. Might go camping in the woods instead.

Paythebill likes this.
  7. treesprite

treesprite
    Expand Collapse

Thank you. Simple mistake. Sometimes the phone keyboard chooses it's own way of doing things if a typo causes a letter to be skipped or added. My phone is hard to hold due to its size, so I have to type with my thumbs and it causes such things to happen a lot.

The president is the commander and chief of the military. State governors also have power over non-civilian forces. I seriously doubt every person would follow a mandatory quarantine without a show of non-civilian force, and it is quite lpossible that could happen in my area which is about 12 miles from the White House

#27 treesprite, Mar 18, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2020
    Paythebill likes this.
  8. treesprite

treesprite
    Expand Collapse

West Virginia is now longer the only state to have no cases of the virus. WV would be my choice of places close enough for me to escape to if I had the opportunity (my job comes with some caregiving tasks, so it won't be reducing hours, though it might increase them).

Paythebill likes this.
  9. Rollin Ollens

Rollin Ollens
    Expand Collapse

To complicate matters: Our crappy Canadian Medicare program is very limited for those of us that spend a bit of time out of country. We have to prop up the coverage with an "Out of Country" policy. Some insurance providers of these policies include (in small print) that they will limit certain aspects of the policy once a pandemic has been declared. One has ten days to be back in country. If you don't make it, some or all coverage is null. We were not sure of what our idiot Prime Minister was to do about closing the border so we opted to had back early anyway. Sigh.....life was so easy and untroubled two weeks ago. To whom it may concern; In my opinion, Mr. Trudeau has earned the designated description of idiot. If you disagree, you are entitled to your opinion just as I am. :)

Darrell

10. BankShot

BankShot
    Expand Collapse

Hey Darrell - Good to see you active on the forum again. Seems like both countries have a great percentage of idiots and/or morons running things. Hope you and Jerry make it back okay with no problems and that if you do need to use your health insurance that you will get full coverage in all areas you need it for. Travel safely and stay healthy...................

Best regards, Terry................(aka BankShot)

The5goodwins, Paythebill and NYDutch like this.
  11. NYDutch

NYDutch
    Expand Collapse

We're in a Georgia state park for a few more days, and this morning there was a number of early departures with Canadian plates. When I was out walking later, I noticed that the site tags left on a number of empty sites were for departures beyond today.

The5goodwins and Paythebill like this.
  12. docj

docj
    Expand Collapse
    RVing Expert

The border closing specifically permits Canadians to return from the US. But some are expressing concerns as to what self-quarantine they will be subject to and whether their RVs will be considered "essential vehicles."

I don't think that they will be prevented from bringing home their RVs, but I have read that they may be subject to a 14-day quarantine after returning to Canada.

The5goodwins, Paythebill and NYDutch like this.
  13. mdcamping

mdcamping
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

Lots of business are now closed in Ct especially any business that can accommodate 50 or more customers. I'm involved in healthcare and where I work for the most part is on lock down. Strange coming home from work to see my neighbors either in their yards, jogging or walking their dogs where just a week ago there wasn't a sole because everyone was working.

Mike

The5goodwins and Paythebill like this.
  14. treesprite

treesprite
    Expand Collapse

I managed to get a 12 roll pack of TP today. I was at MOMs Organic Market, it was the only pack on the shelf. Went there for TVP, which is a staple for people who don't eat meat. ... it was sold out, along with beans and lentils.

NYDutch likes this.
  15. NYDutch

NYDutch
    Expand Collapse

I stopped in an Office Depot today for some printer paper, and was surprised to see they had a supply of 12 mega roll packs of Charmin Ultra Soft and Ultra Strong. We didn't need any yet, but I snagged a package anyway since there's no telling when other stores will get back to normal stocks...

16. treesprite

treesprite
    Expand Collapse

I found a single box of 100 latex gloves, and a single 10-pack pack of latex gloves, in the grocery store in a spot where I think someone was trying to hide them (at the bottom of the inside part of one of those space-saver sliding door displays of little household gadgets). They aren't sterile gloves, but they don't need to be for personal protection against other people's germs that might be on any surfaces that you touch. Why do so many people think that the wearing of gloves in this current situation will help anyone other than the actual wearers?

I would love to be off camping somewhere in the mountains right now. I'm so stressed out from things that aren't related to this virus situation.

NYDutch likes this.
  17. parkhopper99

parkhopper99
    Expand Collapse

I was planning on going to national parks at the end of the month but I guess Ill have to postpone the trip. I'm a huge coin collector and I've heard that you can buy collectible coins on national parks. I cant wait for this whole thing to die down. I'm tired of staying in my house.

18. treesprite

treesprite
    Expand Collapse

They sell them at the history info/gift shops along the C&O Canal, the entirety of which is a national park (it spans from Washington DC to Cumberland MD, 80-some miles).

19. Onemoretrail

Onemoretrail
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

No ands, ifs, or buts - all Canadians entering the country are subject to a 14 day "self isolation" and must go directly from the border to their residence. No stopping for groceries, gas or anything. So I would suggest those RVers coming back get some groceries stateside first.

20. Rollin Ollens

Rollin Ollens
    Expand Collapse

I don't have a problem with the 14 day isolation and I have enough food and drink to last until we get home but I have a problem with the gasoline. We were told to enter the country at the closest port from our US location. That made Estevan Saskatchewan our point of entry. I wish my coach had the ability to travel from there to Western Alberta with out fueling especially at the price of Canadian fuel!

We had eliminated all events that included coming close to others as soon as we heard about the pandemic. We then quarantined ourselves once we first heard of the order to return to Canada.

We have now been on the road for five days and traveled 1266 miles with no outside close contact with other people. We have stayed at 4 different campgrounds and one Walmart parking lot. Campgrounds were paid for via booking on-line and or stuffing cash in an envelope and sliding it into a mailbox or across a counter. Fuel has been taken on easily without any close encounters with people. Key pads and nozzles wiped down before use. I need propane today. We have been in contact with Tractor Supply to make arrangements so no close contact will be required there either.

If the Canadian Government thinks that I can't travel the next 700 odd miles doing the same, then they can kiss my grits!!

Just an FYI I really fell in love with Cajun Food. We bought a supply of Dirty Rice, Red Beans and Rice, Frozen Okra etc to enjoy back in Canada. It will all be gone!!! All because someone in China had to have some bat soup!!! :)

I'll let you know how we make out at the border. We expect to cross on Monday. We could today but I have heard it could take two or three hours to get through and after driving another 300 miles today I don't think I want to line up for that long.

Darrell