Rving Cats

Discussion in 'General Community Discussions' started by Texasrvers, Feb 22, 2007.

1. Texasrvers

Texasrvers
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

I just read the post about New England in June which mentioned RVing with cats about which I have some comments. We have RVed at one time or another with 4 small dogs; 3 dogs and 1 cat; 3 cats; and right now 2 cats. Although we really loved our dogs, we think it is easier to travel in an RV with cats. However, we are lucky that all of our cats have been good travelers. Many cats aren't, and that may be why you don't see more of them in RVs.

The pluses are you don't have to get up in the middle of the night or go out in the cold and rain to walk them. They can use a litter box all by themselves, although many people would not like to deal with that in an RV. Also you can leave cats in the RV while you are sight seeing. I know you can leave dogs also, but you have to come back every few hours to walk and/or feed them. Cats can stay by themselves all day, and will sleep most of the time. Also we have never known them to bark while we are gone.

Minuses are most cats cannot be leash trained so you can't take them on strolls with you like you can do with dogs, and it is usually not a good idea to let them sit outside with you especially if there are dogs around. If you have an RV that must be towed (trailer or 5th wheel) it might be a bit of trouble to move a cat from one vehicle to the other, and I certainly don't think it would be a good idea for them to ride in the RV alone. We have a motor home so that is not a problem for us.

When we are driving down the road one cat rides on my lap and the other sleeps back in the bedroom. (When we had our third cat he rode on the couch.) We don't even have to stop to walk or feed them. They can handle either of those tasks while we are driving--even at 60 mph. When we set up for the night we put a pad on the dash and that becomes their den.

Finally I have to confess that our pets are the reason we decided to get an RV. We wanted to travel, and we just couldn't think of leaving them behind. We would miss them too much. An RV seemed like the best solution, and now 7 years later we're still having fun!

2. Cheryl Fuller

Cheryl Fuller
    Expand Collapse

TexasRVer, we do have a cat, but he has never gone in the rv with us, as the dogs do. Frankly, it would probably be easier to get my 1200 lb. horse to go willingly in the motorhme. Smokie - the 35 lb. cat - detests being in a moving vehicle. When he has had to go to the vet, he has to be crated and then he wails, hisses, spits, and carries on, scratching at the crate the whole time. He is so worked up by the time we get there that they have had to give him a sedative injection thru the cage before they dare open the gate. If he were not sedated, he would not be able to settle down enough after the car ride to be treated nor would we get him back into his crate. He is not a young thing - almost 12 - and normally doesn't have much interest in anything but laying around, but open the car door and even look as if he is going to be put inside and he totally goes berzerk. Besides, he HATES the dogs and keeps his distance, which would be hard in a motorhome. I think he has the attitude that he was here long before they invaded his space and he would just as soon that they make their home elsewhere!!! How wonderful you can travel in peace with all of your furry friends....

3. abn

abn
    Expand Collapse

Of our seven cats, three love to go in the RV. The other four prefer to stay home. Of the three that like to go, one even took to a leash with no problem. The other two prefer to stay inside the rv and watch things thru the windshield. Unfortunately, we recently lost our best rv cat.

4. Texasrvers

Texasrvers
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

Cheryl,

A 35 pound cat?!!! And I thought our 15 pounder was big. I can see how one that big would be difficult to manage if he didn't want to cooperate.

Our female cat is much smaller at 5 and 1/2 lbs. and is 14 years old. She is our little old lady. The big one is 9 years and still likes to play but the female won't have anything to do with him. She can still put him in his place though when he bothers her.

abn,

That is neat about your "leash" cat. We have only seen one other one that was walking on a leash. I know ours would not do very well. We lost a great cat 2 years ago. He was the companion to our female as they were raised together from kittens. The two male cats loved to rough house, but as I said above the little female just doesn't like to. It's very hard to lose one. You get so attached to them.

5. BigRigger06

BigRigger06
    Expand Collapse

We have a pot-bellied pig and a bird, and we also bought the RV for them to travel with us. The pig is a real challenge to get in and out of the bus. A 7 foot ramp had to be modifed a few times, added rubber slats so he could get a grip and he still has trouble going up. It's all worth it for the looks and conversation a pig starts. The pigs name is Frank Pignatra and he's almost 2 years old. Our bird is a Golden Capped Conure and is about 16 years old and my little sweetheart. It's definitely a lot of work and trouble to take your pets along, but we couldn't see any other solution if we were going to travel. Sometimes I wish we had just got a small dog like everyone else, but then we wouldn't be who we are. :D We love our pets.

6. campinggirl1964

campinggirl1964
    Expand Collapse

Texasrvers, I'm glad you picked up on this topic, because after it inadvertently came up in "New England in June" I started wondering why you don't see many cats while rving/camping. I have to be honest, I really do not like cats - at all - I'm not afraid of them like some people, I just do not like them (probably because when I was little my older brothers had a cat that often got fleas that seemed to particularly like me and my mother; and when I was in my early teens and got my first dog, a cat attacked it). We do have a 6 year old lhasa-apso/poodle - unfortunately, we've never taken him away with us because we like to do a lot of sightseeing when we travel and, because he's quite a barker, we wouldn't want to leave him in the rv for very long unattended (although he too, like others I've read in other threads, does enjoy "the weather channel" when he needs to be shut in a room at home!). Reading your posts has enlightened me as to why some cats just don't travel well - however, it looks like there might be more cats on the road than I thought, we just don't see them out and about - or hear them!

Eric&Rita - your pot-bellied pig looks adorable, and I imagine you gather quite a crowd when he is with you (BTW, I love the name!). We saw a man walking through a park a year or two ago with a beautiful bird on his shoulder (OK - I have to tell you - I am afraid of birds - I think they are beautiful, but I will keep my distance - again, a childhood memory from babysitting someones bird) (sounds like I have some childhood issues, doesn't it!!!!). I can't remember where we were - perhaps it was you we saw!

7. BigRigger06

BigRigger06
    Expand Collapse

CampingGirl1964,

Frank Pignatra because he has blue eyes. And I already saw Frank Swinatra and didn't like that name as much. We mostly call him Franky. I didn't mention the birds name in the last post, Hotrod, because she has a flame paint job. My nephew is terrified of the bird, we have never been able to break him of that, and as far as I know there was never a particular incident that would explain the fear of birds. He says it's because they can fly so he figures he couldn't get away from them if he wanted. She is a lovey-dovey bird and usually nice, but she can bite and does intentionally poop on people she doesn't like. We leave the TV or radio on while we are out so they are not completely bored. I didn't mean to hijack this tread away from cats, I don't hate cats, I just don't like their attitude.

8. Jackie & Tony

Jackie & Tony
    Expand Collapse

I think RVing with cats is a tricky one.
    Our neighbors next to us at the moment have a beautiful well behaved cat - they take him out for walks each day on the leash and he just loves it. We also have fulltime Rving friends who have just had to take their cat to the Humane Society (one that DOES NOT put the animal down) because they tried everything with Hemingway, he was going crazy in the RV and wanted to claw his way out all the time, they have another cat that has adjusted perfectly to their lifestyle. So this is totally dependent on the cat's personality - that's for sure!

Eric&Rita - I just love your pot bellied pig and bird, they're adorable. How you you manage with "potty time" with the piggy??

9. Texasrvers

Texasrvers
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

I think it is interesting to talk about all kinds of Rving pets and hear about their adventures on the road. So campinggirl, I don't think you hijacked the topic. I'm just sorry you do not like cats. They can be great pets, but they definitely have a mind of their own. We jokingly say ours let us live in their house, but that may may be truer than we think. I'm convinced they just keep us around to be their "staff." I grew up with both cats and dogs, but my husband only had dogs as a child and didn't particularly like cats either. After we married our first pet was a cat because we were both working and living in an apartment, and a cat was just a better choice at that time. After a few weeks my husband decided cats weren't so bad after all, and now he really likes them. He was very attached to the one we lost 2 years ago.

Jackie, I think you are right. It is tricky to travel with cats, and as you pointed out, some just never adapt. However, I bet there are more cats traveling in RVs than we think. We just don't see them because they generally stay inside. On one trip we stayed next to a couple who had 7 cats. Luckily they had a huge motor home. We have also noticed cats sitting on dashboards and in windows. So they do seem to be out there. I'm surprised too to hear about more cats on leashes. We've only seen one, but it sounds like they are out there too.

Eric&Rita, your pig and bird are so cute. I think it is so great that you built a ramp so Franky could go with you. That shows a real commitment to wanting to have your pets with you. I'm sure we would have done the same thing. After all they are a member of the family.

10. BigRigger06

BigRigger06
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(Jackie & Tony @ Feb 24 2007, 11:31 AM) [snapback]6208[/snapback]

Eric&Rita - I just love your pot bellied pig and bird, they're adorable. How you you manage with "potty time" with the piggy??

Frank will let us know when he has to go and will give us enough time to find a place to pull over and let him out for a potty break. When it's really bad outside, like raining or very cold, he is willing to use a litter box (an inflatible kiddie pool filled with sawdust litter), but only for #1. He will only do #2 outside. Pigs are very vocal when they are hungry or want to go outside. Otherwise he likes to lay around and sleep most of the time. We have another inflatible kiddie pool that we put about 200 colored plastic balls into and add some snacks and watch him root around hunting for every morsel.

[​IMG]

11. RLM

RLM
    Expand Collapse

Folks> Since I’m the one who started this pet thread with my inadvertent mix up between a feline and a ferry boat, I have read with interest all the comments on pet travel and the various ones owned. I’m sending them to our friends who will be traveling with us and bringing their cat. I think they will enjoy reading all of the comments.

Personally, I’m a fish person. Unfortunately, I couldn’t get the water to stay in the aquarium while we were moving. :)

RLM

12. pianotuna

pianotuna
    Expand Collapse

Ummmm RLM,

What about your fresh water tank? *veg* LOL!

It would cause you to bring a new level to the term "winterize" too!

QUOTE(RLM @ Feb 25 2007, 11:05 AM) [snapback]6226[/snapback]

Folks> Since I’m the one who started this pet thread with my inadvertent mix up between a feline and a ferry boat, I have read with interest all the comments on pet travel and the various ones owned. I’m sending them to our friends who will be traveling with us and bringing their cat. I think they will enjoy reading all of the comments.

Personally, I’m a fish person. Unfortunately, I couldn’t get the water to stay in the aquarium while we were moving. :)

RLM

13. Texasrvers

Texasrvers
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

Wow, RLM, you sure did start something, but I think it has been fun to talk about our pets. I also noticed you wondered about the litter box staying in one place. Just so you won’t lose any sleep, we keep ours in the shower, and I put one of those non slip place mats under it so it stays put quite well actually. It is one of the ones that has a detachable hood over it. The hood has a handle on top so it is very easy to pick up and move when we need the shower. This has worked out best for us, but I have heard of several other places where litter boxes have been kept. I guess if you really want to take your pets with you, you find a way to work out all the problems whether it’s a ramp for a pig or a litter box for a cat or even putting your fish in the fresh water tank! :lol: PS Tell your friends I hope their trip with their cat goes well.

14. Texasrvers

Texasrvers
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

I know this is an old thread, but I just saw something that made me want to bring it up again. Have any of you seen the TV show about million dollar motor homes called Motor Mansions II on HGTV. All of the coaches are amazing, but there was one where one or two of the underneath bins had been converted into a cat condo. The cats could go back and forth through a passageway in one of the kitchen cabinets. It was really neat, but I'm sure it was also big $$$$$$. Just thought some of you might want to see what we had done to our coach. :lol: :lol:

15. sillypup

sillypup
    Expand Collapse

Texasrvers,

I'm glad to hear that I'm not the only one that went and bought an RV for my pets,lol! First the car, then the house, and now an RV!!! Where is this going to end? :lol:

I'm a newbie, and I have 4 dogs that I plan to eventually travel with, and if that works out, the parrot may have a chance too....

Like you, I wouldn't dream of leaving them at home, where I go, they go!

Mia

16. jmo

jmo
    Expand Collapse

Great thread. Went back and read them all. Travel with a cat and two dogs (medium size). Doug the cat doesn't come out from bedroom until we park. I can't say he likes the moving part but he is very much himself when we land. Dogs definitely require more attention. All are very social. Fortunate they all have a good attitude. We come and go at home as well as when RVing. Ever heard expression when a single person complains about not "meeting" anyone? Get a dog. As with Pignatra...you always meet people walking a pet.

17. riggarob

riggarob
    Expand Collapse

:D When we got our 1st coach, 3 years ago, we just left the door to it open, and eventually "Sweet Pea" (our 10 year old, at that time, cat) stuck her nose inside. She now travels w/ us every where. We're usually gone 6 months of the year. When we got the new, bigger coach, it took her (and our 2 1/2 year old grandson) a while to go inside, but now we can't keep them out ! However, she hates riding in a car !! So, Sweet Pea is now 13, and still traveling, but cries like a 12 year old who wants to out on a week nite when she has to ride in the car, instead of the MH. Dogs are out, because of all of the previously mentioned xtras you have to go thru.

18. J59T

J59T
    Expand Collapse

We adopted a kitty from a family of feral cats at a RV park in North Texas and he has proved to be an excellent traveling companion. My husband was patient to train him to a leash. We can leave him in the RV while on day trips and can't imagine life without our kitty Sanger.

19. DXSMac

DXSMac
    Expand Collapse

I have a cat, and kitty was 6 when I got my first RV. The first trip with kitty was traumatic. I think kitty thought I was going to dump him somewhere! My cat is normally aloof and "I'll let you pet me when I feel like it" kind of cat. Well, during the first trip, he kept trying to get on my lap while I was driving on a winding road through mountains! During the whole trip, he was cuddle cuddle cuddle (not normal for my cat!), and "Whatever I did wrong, I'll change.... etc."

I finally just told kitty that I wanted to have him with me, that's why the RV, so he wouldn't be alone in an empty house with a pet sitter that came by for five minutes a day. (But I did have an excellent pet sitter!)

Now, kitty knows the drill. He heads straight for the bed and buries himself. If I'm travelling mostly on freeway, I'll let him hang out in the bed. But if I'm going to travel a lot on any type of winding road, I'll crate him (so he won't poop and barf all over the place). There's been many times I let him hang out in the bed only to have to find a place with laundry facilities so that *I* could have clean sheets to sleep in, after kitty got carsick.

JJ

20. SEP

SEP
    Expand Collapse

Hi all :) I'm from the UK and we are doing a little (actually there's quite a lot needed!) research before we buy our first motorhome. We are thinking of one which is about 24' which I know on the whole motorhomes are much smaller than RVs so this was my main concern: the moggy.
    We are planning a trip up to a year but will have to take the cat with us. He is a fabulously mischeivous British Blue with a face like he ran into a brick wall, but we love him dearly and couldn't leave him.
    I don't think we'd risk letting him out of his basket while we are on the move, only when we have parked. But from reading the posts all your cats have been on leads and have responded well, as well as being inside for many hours while out sight seeing?
    My other concern is the litter tray in this small space and how it's been dealt with.

Any tips, tricks and reassurances would be appreciated!