Denver to Grand Teton Route Help

Discussion in 'Trip Planning and Travel Concerns' started by steveav8r, Oct 26, 2021.

1. steveav8r

steveav8r
    Expand Collapse

New user here and I am looking for some route help for a trip next July to Moran WY. Google Maps shows a straight forward route from Denver CO to Moran through Laramie and Dubois but when I use RV Trip Wizard it routes me through Utah and Idaho. Can someone offer some insight as to why RVTW takes the long way? Is the more direct route with a travel trailer a bad idea? I have used both mapping services for rv trips before but I would rather not have to travel so far out of our way to get to Moran. I acknowledge there is good reason based on past experience with RVTW but.....lol. We will be pulling a 28' travel trailer with a NA half-ton pickup. Thanks in advance!

2. Onemoretrail

Onemoretrail
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

I input Denver to Moran Junction and managed to get the RVTW trip planner to direct me through Laramie and Dubois. Not sure why you got a different route unless you input a way point that changed your route.

3. Janet H

Janet H
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

Trip Wizard offers RV safe routing by default (avoiding some roads). You can change this setting in your trip settings - change to standard routing.

standard routing.jpg

You can also enable "drag route" and drag your route to any other road you prefer.

The RV routing is similar to truck routing - and may be overkill for many smaller rigs.

TravelingWorkerBees likes this.
  4. Onemoretrail

Onemoretrail
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

I should add that I have driven most of the route that you preferred, at least from Loveland to Moran. It should be no problem for your rig.

TravelingWorkerBees likes this.
  5. steveav8r

steveav8r
    Expand Collapse

Thanks so much for the help! I am actually travelling from NW Oklahoma and just thought showing Denver as my starting place would garner more attention. I cleared all my trips in RVTW and started from scratch and it continues to route me from NW Oklaho to Denver to Laramie then west to UT and north into ID then east to Moran. If I start in Denver it does then route me up through Dubois to Moran, strange. I prefer the rv routing as I got into trouble with a non-rv friendly route in southern California a few years ago, lol. Again thanks for help!

6. steveav8r

steveav8r
    Expand Collapse

So I should have no problem taking I-25 to Casper and on west to Moran?

7. Onemoretrail

Onemoretrail
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

If I remember correctly I took US 287 from Loveland to Laramie, I-90 from Laramie to Rawlins, back on US287 & US26 from Rawlins to Moran. I never went on US26 out of Casper, so couldn't say for sure. If you take I-25 to Casper and then US26 to Moran it will be a longer route.

I tried your route from Guymon, OK to Moran, WY and found the trip planner went almost direct on US287 up to around Denver then I-25 to Cheyenne, WY before heading on I-90 to Rawlins and then back on US287 and US26 to Moran.

#7 Onemoretrail, Oct 27, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2021
  8. steveav8r

steveav8r
    Expand Collapse

Thanks again for the help! Now the plan has changed slightly. The family wants to stay on the east side of Yellowstone so we will staying near Cody WY. I reset my RVTW for Cody and it routes me on I-25 all the way to Billings MT then south to Bridger MT, Powell WY and on to Cody. What the heck?!?

Attached Files:

9. Onemoretrail

Onemoretrail
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

The reason the trip planner has you routed through Billings is due to the Bighorn Mountains. US14 and US16 from Sheridan and Buffalo are steep and windy. I drove on US14 from Cody to Sheridan years ago and it's a spectacular drive, but you may not think so when towing a trailer. It may be better to route through Casper to Cody via US20 to Thermopolis and WY120 to Cody.

Rollin Ollens likes this.
  10. TimKate

TimKate
    Expand Collapse

So...RV Trip Wizard asks for all the information about our "Rigs". Janet, are you saying the routing is not specific to that information? For example, I'm only towing a 16ft trailer with a 9ft height and propane. Are you saying that I'm being provided the same routes as a Class A regardless?

11. Janet H

Janet H
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

Not necessarily. The height, weight and length info is used to both show you low clearance hazard alerts and/or route you to bypass roads that are not appropriate. Often the routing is the same regardless of rig size but on back roads you will especially see route differences.

Paythebill and TimKate like this.