Carefree electric awning

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Socialdistancingtiffinstyle, Feb 4, 2022.

1. Socialdistancingtiffinstyle

Socialdistancingtiffinstyle
    Expand Collapse

We have a 2013 Tiffin with an electric awning. It will extend fully and retract but when it stops retracting, it appears to be slightly open. The metal cap does not sit flush on either end. Anyone have an idea what would cause this? Or is this normal and I've never noticed it before? 16439926815746115787623741614144.jpg

2. BankShot

BankShot
    Expand Collapse

Hi and welcome to the forum. We have a Carefree awning and at times we have found that leaves, Pine needles and other misc, grime and dirt, etc. can get lodged/trapped inside the channel where the cap resides when closed. Best thing I can suggest is to ope the awning a few inches, take a ladder and get up there and take a look into that channel/cap area. I am thinking that you will find stuff in there that is keeping the cap from closing completely. Do the same at both ends as well as up an down the vertical channels that the control rods and shocks ride in. I check ours regularly and use an industrial silicon spray inside each one from bottom to the top. Also make sure when the awning is opening and closing that it rides smoothly with no "hiccups" along the way as sometimes all it takes is one rod or even a faulty shock to mess things up. It's a process of elimination but you should be able to find out what's causing those end caps not to close completely. Let us know how this works out for you and ope this tidbit of info helps. By the way, if you aren't already doing so be sure to use the flip side of this site to write reviews on the places you stay. And don't be a stranger on the forum as we are a friendly bunch and welcome anyone who happens by to stay around for a while..................

Safe and happy travels, BankShot..........(aka Terry)

#2 BankShot, Feb 5, 2022
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2022
    Paythebill likes this.
  3. Paythebill

Paythebill
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

I wonder if Bankshot’s suggestion solved the awning not closing fully.

4. BankShot

BankShot
    Expand Collapse

--------------------------------------------------------------
    Hey there Ron............We may never know the answer to that. I've responded to several posts lately whereby someone has posted a question and was looking for some answers or assistance and to date not a single response back from them. I realize there are "circumstances" at times that prevent someone from responding and at least acknowledging the responses received to their post, and that may possibly be the case at times, but my feelings are that there are posters that simply take the answers/responses, etc. they do receive and read and get what they need from them and just move on. Who knows why some folks do this. Thankfully the ones that do respond far outnumber the ones who don't take the time to. At least that's my take on this, others of course may have different thoughts about it and if so by all means join in and voice your opinion if you care to.............

Hope all is well with you and your family Ron and that the summer ahead will hold some really fun trips for you................:)

All the best, Terry..............(aka BankShot)

#4 BankShot, Feb 8, 2022
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2022
    Paythebill likes this.
  5. weighit

weighit
    Expand Collapse

I agree, you take the time to read the posters question, and then sometimes research an answer, or you might already know the answer. Take time to compose the reply and then never hear if they thought you were right wrong or crazy.. Many times I just read a post and do not reply when I probably should, but hate to waste my time.

BankShot and Paythebill like this.
  6. BankShot

BankShot
    Expand Collapse

---------------------------------------------------------
    I don't want to belabor this weighit but what you stated is exactly how I feel also. Why some posters do this is beyond my comprehension abilities (aka above my pay grade I guess). It's always nice to be able to lend a hand when advice or assistance is asked for and a simple thanks your advice was helpful, would be nice once in a while. I'll end on that note as the OP will probably never read what we are saying anyway and is long gone and outta here. Their user name perhaps says it all as they are most certainly social distancing on this forum............:confused:

Safe travels, BankShot........(aka Terry)

#6 BankShot, Feb 12, 2022
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2022
    Paythebill likes this.