USA September 2022 (We hope)

Discussion in 'Trip Planning and Travel Concerns' started by The5goodwins, Oct 20, 2021.

1. The5goodwins

The5goodwins
    Expand Collapse

OK guys haven't been on for a while but here it is for your perusal and ideas.

Brisbane to LAX.....and then.........
    https://goo.gl/maps/ABDdSszAPvmxQhGe7

Roughly is as follows;
    Salt Lake City (Cheaper than Denver for car hire by literally $1000)
    Salt Lake City to Zion National Park
    Zion National Park to Monument Valley
    Monument valley to Moab
    Moab to Denver via Brekenridge or similar locations
    Denver to Casper Wyoming via Cheyenne
    Casper to the Grand Tetons
    Grand Tetons to Yellowstone
    Yellowstone to Idaho Falls
    Idaho Falls back to Salt Lake City

Decided after my injury it was time for my wife and I to have a trip to ourselves......NO KIDS

Duration will be around 4 weeks.

Will be by car and hotel as it turns out that RV hire when you add the camping ground costs is apparently significantly more.

Planning for September 2022 at the earliest depending on COVID borders etc and Australia opening again.

Looking for feedback from the crew and anyone who has ideas from accomodation locations to things to see.

NOTHING like our initial plan:D:p

#1 The5goodwins, Oct 20, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2021
  2. BankShot

BankShot
    Expand Collapse

Well hello there Mr.Goodwin. Been so long I seem to have forgotten your first name? I think it is Gordy, right? Or is is possibly Marcello? Oh, now I remember, it's Jason.........I think???:p Anyway, glad to see you on the forum again after a long respite and some healing time. Great that you have a nice trip like this all planned and that this one will be with just the significant other. Bet the both of you are really looking forward to this. We've been to most all of the places you mentioned and you will definitely have yourselves a wonderful time away together. I'll be keeping my fingers crossed that nothing comes along to prevent you from taking this trip. By the looks of what's currently happening here in the states, COVID will still be around and probably by then in a couple or more different strains. Don't want to be negative here but reality seems to have set in and we all have to face the facts of how and with the overall "incompetency" going on in our country, it's a wonder we've done as well as we have in trying to combat it. All the best to you and the family. Be well and safe.................

Regards, Terry................(aka BankShot)

Paythebill and The5goodwins like this.
  3. Onemoretrail

Onemoretrail
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

Your proposed trip itinerary looks good. I have been through much the same area (except Denver) and you will see most of the highlights for that region. Hope you can visit as planned and enjoy your journey despite Covid.

4. newkcmoedoe

newkcmoedoe
    Expand Collapse

You may run up against bad weather in the mountain areas (Colorado, Yellowstone, Grand Teton etc) in late September. Also, you will need to make reservations well in advance for accommodations near Yellowstone and Grand Teton.
    Rental car rates are currently all over the board due to supply issues. They may change dramatically by next year. Same with COVID requirements and restrictions. I personally wouldn't be planning pleasure a trip to another country until things settle down a bit unless that was the only time I could make the trip due to health or other issues unrelated to actual travel.

5. Rollin Ollens

Rollin Ollens
    Expand Collapse

Greetings Jason;

I think you have chosen a spectacular loop. One I think you may enjoy especially without the kids. We have traveled most of your route more than once. We have NOT been from Moab to Denver though. I will say that I don’t envy you living out of a suitcase for a month and having to eat restaurant food but I’m sure you will survive. You may also want to fine tune your trip planning. Since COVID arrived, the “out doors” has become a very popular thing to visit. It is very difficult to book a campground (or motel) on short notice these days. Perhaps things will settle down in the time to come. Here's hoping!

You will have checked out what to see and do for most of your major destinations so I will just add bits and pieces and some advice for your consideration.

Leg one. Most of what you want to see will be in southern Utah. Adding to the obvious such as Zion.........

- Capitol Reef National Park. A very small park but lots to see and do in one day. Some easy hikes and some great scenery. Pack a lunch. There are no food services there.

- Bryce Canyon National Park. Another smaller one. The hiking is a little more strenuous. Again, some incredible views.

- If you plan on staying in or near St George or Hurricane Utah, and want some up close looks at some great desert scenery, you can rent off road machines to use in Sand Hollow State Park. Again, some very nice scenery. Just an FYI, September in Southern Utah is still quite warm (high 20s C). Make sure you pack plenty of liquid with you when hiking or off roading.

Leg two.

- Expect to spend some time in and around Page Arizona. You can take roads 89 or 89A. Both are very scenic. Sites worth checking out: Marble Canyon, Horseshoe Bend, Glen Canyon Scenic overlook trail. We have not done the Glen Canyon Dam tour (not even sure there is one) but it might be worth while. There are plenty of other trails in the area. Some pretty strenuous. Again, it’s warm in September.

- A day trip out of Page is the Grand Canyon Village. The South Rim Lookout is what words can’t describe. The experience of looking way way way down to the Colorado River is incredible. If you are very adventurous, you can take a 2 day mule ride from the rim all the way down to the river. (We have not done it but it has been on our bucket list for a while). FYI any type of adventure or excursion (be it a helicopter tour or mule ride) pretty much needs a reservation.

You may want to consider using Page as a base to visit Monument Valley. It would be another day trip. There isn’t a lot of accommodation available there and what there is, is pretty pricey. There is a Jeep tour that will take you through the valley that is quite nice.

There is so much to see and do in Moab. The obvious include Arches, Canyon Land, Dead Horse Point etc. These you can see from the comfort of your vehicle but hiking some of the trails is so much better. Moab is JEEP town USA. You can rent a Wrangler or other ATVs but if you are not used to steep rock climbing you can still experience some incredible off roading on a tour. A tour will be a lot easier on your pocket book (and maybe your nerves).

Leg three. You are on your own. I 70 is an interstate so it should be in good condition. You will be leaving the “warm country”. You will need to adjust your clothing.and you may run into some weather. I think Snow Tires are a requirement during some months. You will have to check your dates and consult Colorado's Department of Transportation.

Leg four

From Denver to Casper. Unless you have a specific reason to go all the way up to Casper from Denver I suggest that you take I 80 to Jackson from Fort Collins. The route to Casper is pretty boring compared to what you have recently experienced. There isn’t much in Cheyenne or Casper (we did like the National Historic Trails Interpretive Center, Immigrant Rock and Fort Casper Museums but unless you are into the Oregon Trail history, there isn’t much there. We have not been to Jackson but it is the south entrance to the Grand Tetons and Yellowstone. Both the Grand Tetons and Yellowstone speak for themselves. Awesome! Once you leave West Yellowstone and head back to Salt Lake there is not much to see. Oh ya. You will find the temps in Yellowstone a little cool in the evenings but it should be comfortable during the day with just a sweater.

I know you will have an amazing journey Good luck. Stay safe, stay warm.

Darrell

6. mdcamping

mdcamping
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

Good to hear from you Jason, hope all is well with you & your family. As usual me being a east coast guy I am no help but sounds like you have a great trip planned.

Don't forget to post plenty of pic's :cool:

Do you need someone to carry your luggage? :D :p

Mike

7. The5goodwins

The5goodwins
    Expand Collapse

Happy New Year all I hope this year will bring you many travels and adventures.

So thanks to COVID:mad: this trip is now September 2023 and it will be just my wife and I (Kids are old enough to look after themselves:)

I have to break what is one trip into halves as Google Maps won't allow you to do route planning due to weather when you use it despite not wanting to travel at this particular time.

Up to 4 weeks duration and it will be a drive and hotel holiday.

Part 1 is Family & Yellowstone.
    We are thinking flying to Billings and spend time with family before travelling the bear tooth pass through to Gardiner and 4 or 5 nights in Yellowstone from there.

After that the plan is to exit the park via the Grand Tetons and a stay in Jackson Hole.

From here I can use the mapping. The proposed route is as below;

https://goo.gl/maps/KUqsCF3C2SRRMDTY6

From Jackson its an overnight in Rock Springs before heading down to see Dinosaur National Monument followed by a stay in Steamboat Springs.

The trip will then move through Vail on to Frisco and Breckenridge.

From there we travel down through FairPlay and on to Salida. From there across to the Royal Gorge Railway and then to Colorado Springs.

From there through to Denver with a planned overnight through to Boulder, Estes Park and Rocky Mountains National Park.

Return to Australia via Denver.

We like the fact that the single biggest drive is from Jackson Hole to Rock Springs (Can't break it down on the map no waypoints left) at around 3.5 hours and the other destinations are around 1 to 2 hours meaning we can take our time.

Questions;
    1. Have I missed anywhere? we like the flow of the trip and it allows for easy travel days and time to explore areas.
    2. Traveling South out of Yellowstone, is that easy or not.
    3. Any advise you have on things not to miss in any of the towns. I hear the Colorado Micro Brewery scene is amazing.......mmmmmmm....Beeeeeer
    4. Yellowstone, is 4 nights enough? what is not to miss.

Thanks all
    It has been a pretty trying couple of years for us all. We wanted to go this year but it makes sense to let this settle and our eldest son get his license to transport the others around as our eldest, with her disability, cannot get a license.

I have been watching and liking particularly those post from the old gang;
    @BankShot @mdcamping @NYDutch @Onemoretrail @Rollin Ollens

8. Rollin Ollens

Rollin Ollens
    Expand Collapse

Welcome back! The forum has been pretty dry this last while so it's nice to see some action. I can't comment on much of your trip as I have never ventured into central Colorado. However, four or five days in Yellowstone should be plenty. There are basically two loops. The
    Geyser Basin is probably the most famous but the whole park is worth seeing. Your trek through Colorado in September should be colorful. Fall is a great time to be in the mountains. You will also be passing by some very famous world class ski resorts. Back when I was much younger and had a passion for skiing i could only dream of visiting Breckenridge, Aspen, Vail, Steamboat and so many more in such a small area. Sadly, I never made it to any of them. When you finally get to Colorado Springs, nearby is Pikes Peak https://www.pikes-peak.com/attractions/pikes-peak-americas-mountain/ It is worth the drive but note there is a huge temp difference. Make sure you have a warm jacket for when you get to the top. Also near by is The Garden of the Gods. https://www.gardenofgods.com/

I note that you have not been sending us pics of your "home" camping adventures. COVID must be slowing your travels at home too. send us some when you can.

Safe travels

Darrell

9. BankShot

BankShot
    Expand Collapse

OMG it's the bloomin' Aussie!!! About time you paid the forum a visit!!! Some of us were thinking you may have trekked off into an extended walkabout and got lost.........:eek: Your trip sounds like a very well planned and enjoyable one for sure but I will add one more place you may want to visit while in the Jackson Hole area. North of Jackson approximately 33 miles is Jackson Lake and on the east side of the lake is Colter Bay Village. There is an RV park, motels, and camping cabins and some really great views of the Grand Tetons and other areas across and around the lake. Certainly worth at least a day trip there if it would fit into your schedule. We've been there several times and enjoyed each time immensely. Glad to see you back Jason. It is Jason is it not as it's been so long I almost forgot your name.............:confused: Glad to hear all is going well for you. How's the hand coming along if I might ask.............???

All the best, Terry.................(aka BankShot)

10. The5goodwins

The5goodwins
    Expand Collapse

Thanks Terry its getting there........ COVID slowed us down here that's for sure with the van being idle for quite a while. Hope you are well mate:D

Paythebill and mdcamping like this.
  11. The5goodwins

The5goodwins
    Expand Collapse

I note that you have not been sending us pics of your "home" camping adventures. COVID must be slowing your travels at home too. send us some when you can.

Safe travels

Darrell[/QUOTE]

Good to hear from you Darrell,

Bit of a beach driving holiday to Sandstone Point and an open fire on the beach with possibly a cruise later in the year....... Stay tuned:)

12. Fitzjohnfan

Fitzjohnfan
    Expand Collapse

Hey, welcome back to the forum! when you come through Denver, let me know the day and maybe we can meet for lunch! fi you have any questions on Colorado, feel free to PM me. Yes, we have a bunch of microbreweries and if you want me to hook you up with one, just let me know. You could even take the Coors brewery tour in Golden and get some free beer at the end.

My boys also have just outgrown most of our camping trips and just the wife and I do most of the traveling now.

Hope it all works out as you planned.

Keep us posted.

Regards,
    Chris G.

13. mdcamping

mdcamping
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

Good to see you back Jason! I'm missing your piks from down under. yeah covid STINKS! Hope you get back to the USA in 23 :cool:

Mike

14. Paythebill

Paythebill
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

Jason, glad to see you are back. The trip you are planning is very exciting. Hopefully inflation and the price of fuel will not present a serious threat to your plans.

The5goodwins and mdcamping like this.
  15. The5goodwins

The5goodwins
    Expand Collapse

Thanks Chris.....forgot one of the old gang and it was one that lives in Denver:rolleyes: Would love to catch up. One we get more planning I will let you know the dates.

Jason

Rollin Ollens and Paythebill like this.