Dog free campgrounds

Discussion in 'Destinations and RV Parks' started by 72redfirebird, Jun 3, 2022.

1. 72redfirebird

72redfirebird
    Expand Collapse

Anyone know of any dog free campgrounds in the Northeast? The last 5 outings we have had to endure barking dogs all day and most of the night. (Most recent, last weekend was 4AM to 2:30AM) Complaining to park office does nothing. Giving a bad review of the campground does nothing. We own and love dogs but usually board them if we go RVing. Any help finding a quiet dog free campground would be greatly appreciated.

mdcamping likes this.
  2. weighit

weighit
    Expand Collapse

Out of all the years we full time traveled and then more years of part time travel we have yet to encounter a rv park that had a dog or dogs keep us awake at night. I guess we have been lucky. I know some parks restricted the size of the dog allowed or even where in the park pets were allowed to go but never ran across a totally dog free park. .

3. 72redfirebird

72redfirebird
    Expand Collapse

4. 72redfirebird

72redfirebird
    Expand Collapse

You are certainly lucky to never have had the issues that we have with dogs barking disturbing our sleep and the entire next day. It's not just the barking, but the irresponsible adults. We've seen dogs poop and the owners not clean up after them. On one site after they left dog poop, little kids came in after they left and were playing in the dirt (and the poop). I had to run over and let the parents know what was happening. Pretty disgusting...

mdcamping and Rollin Ollens like this.
  5. Rollin Ollens

Rollin Ollens
    Expand Collapse

We have had dogs come camping with us for at least 50 years. Back in the day, when there were no rules, it seemed most picked up. Now days, plenty don't. We carry spare poop bags with us. When we see someone that looks like they are going to leave it, we quickly offer one of ours. Very rarely will someone ignore us. I like the parks that say you will be evicted if you don't pick up. I don't know if they would, but it would be nice if they did. We have never been disturbed by barking dogs though. One would think the owners wouldn't be able to sleep through it,

Darrell

6. Paythebill

Paythebill
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

I am not sure dog free campgrounds exist anywhere. Your looking for dog free, I'm looking for children free.......:eek::rolleyes:

racklefratz, weighit and mdcamping like this.
  7. NYDutch

NYDutch
    Expand Collapse

Four of the eight campsite loops at Letchworth State Park south of Rochester, NY are no-pets.

mdcamping and Paythebill like this.
  8. mdcamping

mdcamping
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

yeah I'm not aware of any park that is completely dog free. I do know of 3 or 4 parks in the Northeast that seem to attract responsible pet owners. If your intrested post back and I'll list them. ( no promises but just from my experience)

I think some of this circles back to how well the park is enforcing their policies, researching reviews, type of park and how well we accept dogs in situations. IMO :cool:

Overall we never had any issues with any dog except once a couple of years ago but I blame that more on the owner than the dog.

Mike

Mamunur Rashid and Paythebill like this.
  9. Paythebill

Paythebill
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

Are the other four campsite loops, no kids?

Rollin Ollens and mdcamping like this.
  10. NYDutch

NYDutch
    Expand Collapse

So
    Sorry, but no... :)

Rollin Ollens and Paythebill like this.
  11. Fitzjohnfan

Fitzjohnfan
    Expand Collapse

I agree with others, you will be hard-pressed to find a park that doesn't allow dogs. The best you can do is try to find parks that have rules about dogs and enforce them.

Paythebill likes this.
  12. Mamunur Rashid

Mamunur Rashid
    Expand Collapse

Did you find any?

13. GottaLuvLife

GottaLuvLife
    Expand Collapse

I'm in New York & some of the State campgrounds do not allow dogs. But maybe call campgrounds & see if you can request to be away from site with a dog since the ones that allow it do ask for that information.

14. NYDutch

NYDutch
    Expand Collapse

I've stayed at NY State parks that have pet free sections, but I'm not aware of any that are completely pet free. Do you know which ones that would be?

15. Statts Mills RV & Campground

We just bought a lakefront rv park in West Virginia and we are considering running it as pet free. Mainly because it would lower our insurance premiums big time... It's a tough call because we could lose business over having that policy but it sure would eliminate a ton of headaches... Thoughts anyone? Thanks!

Paythebill likes this.
  16. NYDutch

NYDutch
    Expand Collapse

As long as you understand that about 50% of RV owners have pets and you'll be giving up that business, it's your park, run it as you will.

17. Fitzjohnfan

Fitzjohnfan
    Expand Collapse

yeah, i think you will lose more $$ from lost revenue going pet free, rather than spending more $$ on insurance.

also, are you willing to kick people out if/when they smuggle pets in?

BankShot and Paythebill like this.
  18. weighit

weighit
    Expand Collapse

We no longer have our dog, but what got us to various rv parks was the reviews on the dog areas the rv parks had. You saying NO PETS in your park is going to cost you much more than what your going to save on insurance. Putting a cap on breeds or size also cuts some folks from coming to you, but it is your park and you get to do as you please. I do recall some parks charging us $5.00 for a pet, we had no issue with that. They had bags for pick up through out the park.

BankShot and Paythebill like this.
  19. BankShot

BankShot
    Expand Collapse

We've traveled for years with our dog and at times have paid a $5 fee and not had a problem paying it. Most parks do have doggie bags and we do pick up after our dog drops her load. As NY Dutch stated at least 50% (or more) RVers have pets with them and IMHO it would just not make sense to lose that 50% of your hoped for business. But as others have said, it is your park and you have to make that decision. Do some research tho before you go with the no pets/dogs policy.........:rolleyes:

Choose wisely, BankShot......*(aka Terry)

weighit likes this.
  20. NYDutch

NYDutch
    Expand Collapse

I suspect they'll find there's a reason there's so few "No pets" RV parks. Parks with with a "No pets" section, yes, but not the entire park.

Paythebill likes this.