trip to Gateway Arch next year

Discussion in 'Trip Planning and Travel Concerns' started by Fitzjohnfan, Jun 28, 2022.

1. Fitzjohnfan

Fitzjohnfan
    Expand Collapse

Hi folks, I'm planning a trip to the Gateway Arch for next year in May 2023. We are driving a 35' motorhome and I was wondering if you folks have any suggestions on parking near the park. On an older thread on another forum, someone suggested parking south of Poplar Dr. on Sullivan Blvd (becomes S. Wharf st) along the river, but this was an old thread, and I was wondering if this is still possible. Our 2nd option would be to park further away and take an Uber/Lift/shuttle, etc to the park, but a slight complication is that my wife uses an electric scooter (that breaks down into pieces). I know, thats why most of you have a towd, but we wont have one on this trip.

Thanks for any suggestions you can provide.

--Chris G.

jessicasnow50 likes this.
  2. Rollin Ollens

Rollin Ollens
    Expand Collapse

We were there in November of 2019. We tow a two door Wrangler and even found it difficult to park on a street near Busch Stadium and the Arch. I suggest a Taxi from your RV Park. We stayed at Cahokia RV Parque just across the river. It's close to the Arch but we weren't really impressed with the Campground. You will love the trip up the Arch. It's like riding in an oversized front load washing machine! We thought the views from the arch were incredible. Well worth the visit.

Darrell

jessicasnow50 and Paythebill like this.
  3. jessicasnow50

jessicasnow50
    Expand Collapse

Hi, I am new to this forum. I have read your message about the trip which is really pretty helpful.

Rollin Ollens likes this.
  4. Rollin Ollens

Rollin Ollens
    Expand Collapse

Welcome to RV Life and the Forum. I'm glad you found my post helpful. That is what we are all about. You will discover that there are many folks here that are willing to share what knowledge we have. In return, we hope you will do the same.

Safe travels.

Darrell

Paythebill likes this.
  5. garmp

garmp
    Expand Collapse

I too would suggest Uber or such as downtown parking can be a real pain. If you just want a place for the night or so our Elks Lodge is putting 30amp hookups pm our parking lot for 4 spots. Its only a parking lot, but not another building in sight with a view of the Jefferson Barracks bridge. No water, no sewer $20 a night.

Paythebill likes this.
  6. Fitzjohnfan

Fitzjohnfan
    Expand Collapse

thanks for the suggestion Gramps! would i have to become an Elk to be able to stay there?

Paythebill likes this.
  7. weighit

weighit
    Expand Collapse

We also have been to the Arch three times now and at first we tried to get into an rv park closer to the down town area. Rates and crowds made us pick Cahokia RV Parque and it was less money, but you had to drive a few miles to get downtown. The park was tired but did what we needed,and you did get some traffic noise from the road outside the park. We saw many folks living there and we figured they ere working in the area, but nobody ever bothered us in any way.. And yes, seeing the top of the Arch is really something. Enjoy the trip.

Paythebill likes this.
  8. garmp

garmp
    Expand Collapse

weightit, sorry but you have to be an Elk. Any lodge, but for members only. Sorry if I mislead you, but just threw it out there in case. Many people do stay at Babler State Park then trek into the city, but I think most of them have a toad. Babler is a nice park.

9. weighit

weighit
    Expand Collapse

Hi GARMP, wasn't me asking about the elks

10. garmp

garmp
    Expand Collapse

Ooops. Hey original poster. Gotta be an Elk. See above. Sorry.

11. Rollin Ollens

Rollin Ollens
    Expand Collapse

That was Chris asking, but I was awaiting the reply too. I pass by many Elk's parks that appear to have room but I chose to keep going not being a Elk (nor Moose or Deer for that matter). I doesn't seem right to join just for the luxury of staying at their parks. :(

12. garmp

garmp
    Expand Collapse

You are so right. You don't join to get RV spots. You join to help others. Support your community, Vets, the under privileged and one another. It is a very worthwhile organization. RV spots are just a plus, or Elks helping each other.

Rollin Ollens and weighit like this.