I've Done This Before So Why Am I Scared?

Discussion in 'General Community Discussions' started by DXSMac, Oct 13, 2007.

1. DXSMac

DXSMac
    Expand Collapse

During my working career (I'm 51 and retired), I have relocated from one end of the country to another four different times (BY MYSELF), and during my career, I spent about half of my career on business travel using my car, often driving up to 500 miles in one day to get to a destination (and most trips I was by myself!).

I'm planning a trip from WA to CA (1200 miles one way) for Thanksgiving in my RV, so why do I feel apprehensive? I'm going to do it, but I'm feeling apprehensive. Is this a good thing? Am I feeling apprehensive because I'm 51, not 25 any more? Or am I feeling apprehensive about the fact that it's a BIG OL HUGE RV (Ok, only 30 feet, Class C..., but it's HUGE to me!) and not a car? Or am I worried about hitting snow somewhere and how do I handle it? I'M NOT SURE WHY I FEEL APPREHENSIVE, BUT IT'S PROBABLY ONE OF THE THREE OR ALL THREE!

I've been RV'ing for four years. I anticipate this trip will take me 1.5 weeks, and that includes building in some "rest" or "what if" days.... I have taken trips of 2 weeks, where I went from WA to OR, and stayed 3 days or so at many different places. I did ok! But I'm feeling apprehensive about travelling from WA to CA!

How do I get over this panic attack? :eek:

Ok, I also had a panic attack before I took my RV on a ferry (I was worried that when I made a sharp left turn to get on the ferry, I would "whack" the car in the next lane.... and believe it or not, I was actually worried that my RV would sink the boat......) but I got over it after I got on the ferry (and there were four more RV's bigger than me, so if the boat sinks, IT'S NOT ME!!!!)!

Ok, I know I just "GOTTA DO IT," but how do I get over this panic attack before I go? :unsure:

AAAAACCCCKKKKK!!!!

JJ

2. pianotuna

pianotuna
    Expand Collapse

Hi,

You will be fine in an RV in the snow--far better traction and far better visibility than a measly old car. Besides if the going gets rough you can always pull off the road (preferably at the next town) and have a nice boondocking experience.

I've driven my RV in very bad weather conditions--and at extremely low temperatures.

Have a *great* trip!

3. Beastdriver

Beastdriver
    Expand Collapse

DSCMax: A little anxiety ain't a bad thing. It keeps you on your toes and makes you conservatively cautious. We've driven a 40-footer an average of 10,000 miles each year for the past five years, traversing all the states at least twice. My rules are (1) stop driving when you are tired, (2) stop driving if the weather gets bad, (3) stop driving if the traffic becomes unbearable, (4) never drive more than 200-250 miles per day unless there is no other alternative, (5) don't travel on or around holidays. And, if all else fails, just stop until you get over your jitters. You sound like a cautious driver to me--the sort of people I like on the road around me. You can do this!

4. DXSMac

DXSMac
    Expand Collapse

Well, I will probably be fine driving from WA to OR, but driving from OR to CA will probably panic me! I'm going to avoid LA at all possible costs, but my destination is outside LA. AAACCCKKKK! I'm still panicking! I'm going to leave the previous Friday.

The main reason I'm doing this trip (besides visiting a friend) to California is to get myself used to long distances in my RV. One of these days I want to take my RV to Pennsylvania to see the Flight 93 Memorial. I really want to see that, but the thought of driving my RV across the country.... AAAACCKKKKK!!! And I refuse to fly! Flying has become more of a hassle than it's worth. Might as well see the country instead of "passing over it."

JJ

5. DXSMac

DXSMac
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(Beastdriver @ Oct 13 2007, 01:15 PM) [snapback]8640[/snapback]

(3) stop driving if the traffic becomes unbearable,

Um..... what if I'm on an LA freeway with horrendous traffic? You can't just stop...... I'm going to try to avoid LA if I can, but my destination is outside LA.....

(4) never drive more than 200-250 miles per day unless there is no other alternative,

My limit is 300 miles, but I've never done more than two days in a row where I drove 300 miles, I will be testing this on this trip!

(5) don't travel on or around holidays.

Well, this will be Thanksgiving..... But I'm going to leave the previous Friday and hope to arrive Tues or Wed. I was going to start returing Friday, day after Thanks day, but maybe I should wait until Sat, who knows.....

On trips like this where I am uncertain, I ALWAYS make sure I stay in parks with WiFi, so I can monitor road conditions.

I'm really nervous about this trip, but like I said in another post, one of these days I want to drive to Pennsylvania to see the Flight 93 thingie. I'm using this CA trip to "test the waters" on long distance driving.

JJ

6. Florida Native

Florida Native
    Expand Collapse

We were on a ferry from Deleware to Cape May, NJ and I hac to flip in my mirrors we were so tigh. I could not place my finger between the flipped in mirror and the trailer next to me. We love ferry and take them any time we can. The thing to remember is you are in charge, not the ranger or man on the boat. Stop if you feel uncomfortable. You will be fine. Those off days really help. Don't know if you have a toad, but the exploring around is so much fun.

7. BBear

BBear
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(DXSMac @ Oct 13 2007, 04:24 PM) [snapback]8641[/snapback]

Well, I will probably be fine driving from WA to OR, but driving from OR to CA will probably panic me! I'm going to avoid LA at all possible costs, but my destination is outside LA. AAACCCKKKK! I'm still panicking! I'm going to leave the previous Friday.

The main reason I'm doing this trip (besides visiting a friend) to California is to get myself used to long distances in my RV. One of these days I want to take my RV to Pennsylvania to see the Flight 93 Memorial. I really want to see that, but the thought of driving my RV across the country.... AAAACCKKKKK!!! And I refuse to fly! Flying has become more of a hassle than it's worth. Might as well see the country instead of "passing over it."

JJ

I drove my first motorhome when I was 20 and I still remember how apprehensive I was when the first tractor-trailer passed me and I thought I was going to get pushed off the road and I remember the first rain storm I drove it in that was so bad I couldn't see...I still have those apprehensions today driving a car, but I just don't let them bother me.

Also, with age, I find the amount of time I spend driving has become less...I used to be able to drive a motorhome 600 plus miles in one day with no problem...now 300 miles in a car is about my limit, LOL.

DXSMac, I live about 15 miles from the Flight 93 Crash Site...if you need any help or have any questions about the area, please let me know, I'd be happy to help you. :)

8. Browzin

Browzin
    Expand Collapse

DXSMac

Ok maybe we can help a little. We make the commute from Federal Way, WA. to Yuma, AZ. around Thanksgiving every year. The only place you will need to worry about snow will be on the pass (I-5 OR/CA boarder). It would have to be a bad storm to close the road down. In the far fetch chance that happens, just pull over with all the trucks and wait for the plows to lead you through. (We have only got caught one time and had to wait for the plows in 30 years of making the trip.) (You also have the option of going down Hwy 101.)

If you mention what town you are going to in the L.A. area everyone will be able to give you better ideas on what route would be the best to take (most important is the day & time that you travel through the L.A. area).

Now there really isn't any thing to panic over or to really worry about, you are travelling at a good time of the year and giving your self plenty of time.

9. DXSMac

DXSMac
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(BBear @ Oct 13 2007, 09:47 PM) [snapback]8650[/snapback]

DXSMac, I live about 15 miles from the Flight 93 Crash Site...if you need any help or have any questions about the area, please let me know, I'd be happy to help you. :)

I'll remember that! I really want to see that place!

JJ

10. DXSMac

DXSMac
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(Browzin @ Oct 13 2007, 10:00 PM) [snapback]8651[/snapback]

The only place you will need to worry about snow will be on the pass (I-5 OR/CA boarder). It would have to be a bad storm to close the road down. In the far fetch chance that happens, just pull over with all the trucks and wait for the plows to lead you through. (We have only got caught one time and had to wait for the plows in 30 years of making the trip.) (You also have the option of going down Hwy 101.) [/b]

If you mention what town you are going to in the L.A. area everyone will be able to give you better ideas on what route would be the best to take (most important is the day & time that you travel through the L.A. area).

I kind of thought that would be the "snow place", between Grants Pass, and maybe Weed or Yreka, after that, should be ok.

I'm headed to Lancaster, will try to stay at Antelope Fairgrounds. That's the closest RV Park to where my friend lives. RV Parks are severly lacking in that area. According to MapQuest and to the Good Sam trip Routing, I think I can avoid LA by going around.

I don't pull a toad, too chicken at this point. My "transportation" is a little electric bicycle (www.egovehicles.com) that goes 25 miles on a charge. I wear a helmet.

JJ

11. Browzin

Browzin
    Expand Collapse

Going to Lancaster, that's out in the desert, no traffic problem, we go that route sometimes when heading to Yuma, it all depends on the mood we are in at the time and if we need fuel or not.

You can take I-5 down to Bakersfield and then cut over to 58 to Mojave and then take 14 and go straight into Lancaster, the only thing you have to contend with is Tehachapi Pass, (about once a year it will have snow for a few hours, nothing to worry about that early in the year.), Or you can take 99 at Sacramento all the way down to Bakersfield & take 58 to Mojave & 14 to Lancaster, (we take 99 down, more towns, more places to stop, more campgrounds, etc., etc.) 99 does have a little more traffic, (but not enough to make it any thing like I-5 between Seattle and Tacoma, if you can handle that traffic you can handle every thing else on the trip with out a bit of a problem).

As far as the snow on the pass, you will only find it on I-5 at the top of the Siskiyou pass, it will only be for a couple of miles at most, at that time of the year, and that is if a freak snow storm comes in an snows that low that early, (Jan/Feb then yes, you should expect snow on the pass)

12. DXSMac

DXSMac
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(Browzin @ Oct 14 2007, 02:36 PM) [snapback]8666[/snapback]

You can take I-5 down to Bakersfield and then cut over to 58 to Mojave and then take 14 and go straight into Lancaster, the only thing you have to contend with is Tehachapi Pass, (about once a year it will have snow for a few hours, nothing to worry about that early in the year.), Or you can take 99 at Sacramento all the way down to Bakersfield & take 58 to Mojave & 14 to Lancaster, (we take 99 down, more towns, more places to stop, more campgrounds, etc., etc.) 99 does have a little more traffic, (but not enough to make it any thing like I-5 between Seattle and Tacoma, if you can handle that traffic you can handle every thing else on the trip with out a bit of a problem).

That's the exact way Good Sam trip planning thingie routed it. As for Seattle....I hate driving the RV between Everett and Seattle, I SWARE the freeway lanes are narrower through there! And when you are in an RV and have an 18 wheeler on both sides, well, I was never clausterphobic before, but I became one at that point! One time, instead of going down through Seattle, I took the ferry to Port Townsend with the hope of connecting back up at Olympia, but my Magellan got screwed up and I think I spent about two hours going in circles. I think I will go around on I-405, more miles, but I avoid Seattle....

I think I will map out all the Costco stores between here and there, cheap gas there....

JJ

13. Browzin

Browzin
    Expand Collapse

I-5 between Everett & Seatttle is a total different mess all of its own, even if the express lanes are open. Our oldest daughter moved last year from Everett to Mountlake Terrace so we are very familiar with that mess. Like you we try and avoid that stretch of I-5 nightmare, we take the 405 to hwy 9 to hwy 2 and come into Everett that way, like you say it is a little longer but unless you hit commute traffic it is not bad. (It still will be the worse traffic of the entire trip for you.)

When you make your list of Costco Gas locations make sure that the particular CostCo has gas pumps, not all Costco locations have Gas, also try and pick the ones with easy freeway on/off (example: Federal Way Costco has easy on/off but Lacey Costco is way off beaten path). We normally start with Costco @ Federal Way then stop at Wilsonville Costco then Medford Costco then Redding Costco followed by Sth Sacramento Costco then Bakersfield Costco. This breaks up the drive and keeps the tank from getting below 1/2 full.

14. DXSMac

DXSMac
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(Browzin @ Oct 14 2007, 09:50 PM) [snapback]8673[/snapback]

When you make your list of Costco Gas locations make sure that the particular CostCo has gas pumps, not all Costco locations have Gas, also try and pick the ones with easy freeway on/off (example: Federal Way Costco has easy on/off but Lacey Costco is way off beaten path). We normally start with Costco @ Federal Way then stop at Wilsonville Costco then Medford Costco then Redding Costco followed by Sth Sacramento Costco then Bakersfield Costco. This breaks up the drive and keeps the tank from getting below 1/2 full.

Thanks! I agree, I won't go way out of the way for a Costco. If it's "easy on off," then I go.

JJ

15. jperera

jperera
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(DXSMac @ Oct 14 2007, 05:31 PM) [snapback]8669[/snapback]

QUOTE(Browzin @ Oct 14 2007, 02:36 PM) [snapback]8666[/snapback]

That's the exact way Good Sam trip planning thingie routed it. As for Seattle....I hate driving the RV between Everett and Seattle, I SWARE the freeway lanes are narrower through there! And when you are in an RV and have an 18 wheeler on both sides, well, I was never clausterphobic before, but I became one at that point! One time, instead of going down through Seattle, I took the ferry to Port Townsend with the hope of connecting back up at Olympia, but my Magellan got screwed up and I think I spent about two hours going in circles. I think I will go around on I-405, more miles, but I avoid Seattle....

I think I will map out all the Costco stores between here and there, cheap gas there....

JJ

16. jperera

jperera
    Expand Collapse

17. gwbischoff

gwbischoff
    Expand Collapse

If you're only going as far as Lancaster you won't get anywhere near our lovely traffic.

I live within spitting distance of 5 major LA freeways so trust me, you won't experience anything like what's further south.

On that note, if you are planning on going through LA, be prepared. You may have seen this on the news:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20071015/ap_on_...VUinP7s6xVsaMYA

Now, that's between Lancaster and LA. As of this morning (10/15), I hear it has been reopened but it must be a nightmare.

Also, you might want to do some more research about the Antelope Valley Fairgrounds. I've driven by it and I wasn't all that impressed. It's OK, but I'm not sure what you like/dislike.

Oh, and BEASTMASTER, I could't agree more with the "A little anxiety ain't a bad thing" comment.

I was really apprehensive when we bought our Class A and after driving it a while, I have to remind myself that I'm driving a 13 ton-35 foot long rolling apartment.

My mantra as I'm buckling my seatbelt is "Take your time, Dummy. Take your time, Dummy. Ohm."

18. BBear

BBear
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(DXSMac @ Oct 14 2007, 11:21 AM) [snapback]8655[/snapback]

QUOTE(BBear @ Oct 13 2007, 09:47 PM) [snapback]8650[/snapback]

I'll remember that! I really want to see that place!

JJ

Just keep in mind, the nearest campgrounds are about 20 miles from the site.

I believe it will be a memorial you'll never forget...I know I haven't since the first I saw it...I couldn't leave. Really weird, because you're standing in the middle of what was farmland and then a reclaimed strip mine and you think to yourself why here and then you realize better it crashed here then what its intended target would have been. What's also neat is all the ambassadors who will answer questions for you are all residents of the area.

I'm almost going to feel sad when the permanent memorial gets built, because I really just love the simplicity of the temporary one.

19. DXSMac

DXSMac
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(gwbischoff @ Oct 15 2007, 12:18 PM) [snapback]8681[/snapback]

Also, you might want to do some more research about the Antelope Valley Fairgrounds. I've driven by it and I wasn't all that impressed. It's OK, but I'm not sure what you like/dislike.

Believe me, I would stay somewhere else if I could, but according to the reviews on here, this is all there is! :eek: My other option is a state park. Lancaster is lacking in RV parks.

JJ

20. gwbischoff

gwbischoff
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(DXSMac @ Oct 16 2007, 09:40 AM) [snapback]8699[/snapback]

QUOTE(gwbischoff @ Oct 15 2007, 12:18 PM) [snapback]8681[/snapback]

Believe me, I would stay somewhere else if I could, but according to the reviews on here, this is all there is! :eek: My other option is a state park. Lancaster is lacking in RV parks.

JJ

I couldn't find a review for this one anywhere but it might be worth looking into:

http://www.shadyelms.com/

I don't have any experience with it personally other than finding their website.