Iphone Users

Discussion in 'Destinations and RV Parks' started by Webmaster, Feb 29, 2008.

?

Do you have an iphone

1. Yes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No, no plans to get one

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. No, but I might get one one day.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Webmaster

Webmaster
    Expand Collapse

Some parts of the site are a little hard to navigate on an iphone, and I'm trying to decide how many people would take advantage of an iphone formated version of the site. (I'm just talking about finding a park, not the forums. )

2. pianotuna

pianotuna
    Expand Collapse

Hi,

I think formatting for web phones in general would be wiser than focusing on the iphone. That is if it is easy to do. Otherwise I'd not bother. The site is wonderful and more and more folks use laptops tethered to, or data cards in laptops.

QUOTE(Webmaster @ Feb 29 2008, 06:38 PM) [snapback]10475[/snapback]

Some parts of the site are a little hard to navigate on an iphone, and I'm trying to decide how many people would take advantage of an iphone formated version of the site. (I'm just talking about finding a park, not the forums. )

3. FosterImposters

FosterImposters
    Expand Collapse

Not using iphone at this juncture.
    Thanks for asking B)

4. Florida Native

Florida Native
    Expand Collapse

I have an internet ready Verizon phone that works well for email, but is very hard for websites. I think the technology will have to go thru one more leap before I am ready for phone website usage. This might be a couple of yeare for us. We really do love the site thought and appreciate all of your efforts.

5. jan-n-john

jan-n-john
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(Lindsay Richards @ Mar 5 2009, 02:33 PM) [snapback]15357[/snapback]

I have an internet ready Verizon phone that works well for email, but is very hard for websites. I think the technology will have to go thru one more leap before I am ready for phone website usage. This might be a couple of yeare for us. We really do love the site thought and appreciate all of your efforts.

We have had iPhones for about a year. They come in very handy as a way to avoid rip-off WiFi fees since you can connect without going through the WiFi.

While it is true that classic web browsing is not easy on a small screen, as you suggest, many applications have been done by regular web sites that are optimized for the small screen, and this is the way to go, and largely solves the problem you allude to. For example, I read the New York Times at home on my computer, but on the road it is very easy to read it on the iPhone through their iPhone app which has been optimized to use the small screen. There are many other examples of the same thing. I think Verizon is behind the curve on this, but there are other similar apps for other smart phones, or soon will be. It would be great if this site could also come up with a small screen version--it would be extremely handy to have that info while on the road. It has been expensive to do so, but I think cheaper tools are now becoming available to allow it to be done more readily. Anyway, the developer can charge for the app and get his money back. This is certainly something that is coming, since more and more access to the web is being done through smart phones rather than comparatively clunky computers or even netbooks, especially on the road.

6. catman2130093

catman2130093
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(jan-n-john @ Apr 30 2009, 08:19 AM) [snapback]16167[/snapback]

We have had iPhones for about a year. They come in very handy as a way to avoid rip-off WiFi fees since you can connect without going through the WiFi.

While it is true that classic web browsing is not easy on a small screen, as you suggest, many applications have been done by regular web sites that are optimized for the small screen, and this is the way to go, and largely solves the problem you allude to. For example, I read the New York Times at home on my computer, but on the road it is very easy to read it on the iPhone through their iPhone app which has been optimized to use the small screen. There are many other examples of the same thing. I think Verizon is behind the curve on this, but there are other similar apps for other smart phones, or soon will be. It would be great if this site could also come up with a small screen version--it would be extremely handy to have that info while on the road. It has been expensive to do so, but I think cheaper tools are now becoming available to allow it to be done more readily. Anyway, the developer can charge for the app and get his money back. This is certainly something that is coming, since more and more access to the web is being done through smart phones rather than comparatively clunky computers or even netbooks, especially on the road.

I agree! That said, the iphone's screen can zoom in and out to help with viewing. It takes patience, but it can be done.

7. Trentheim

Trentheim
    Expand Collapse

Having just jumped into "smartphone" ownership, I've already learned that the newer phones do a great job of showing traditional web pages. The display is small, but zooming is an option. I wouldn't worry about changing everything on the web site just for a relatively (yet growing) group of smartphone users. It seems that a goodly number of users travel with a laptop in their RV and have figured out how to make it work on the road.

Besides, the smartphones are great for retrieving information, but posting still is much easier with a full-sized keyboard.

J

8. WinnieViews

WinnieViews
    Expand Collapse

I just got an iPhone 3Gs and notice that when browsing this site in Safari on the phone, there's no scroll bar for the list that displays to the left side of the map. Makes it very difficult to browse for states or park locations.

I'd LOVE to see an iPhone-app created for this site...you could probably even make a little money with it as well. Right now, there are no real iPhone apps that are catering to RV'ers-- yet over 25% of all smart phone users are now using iPhones and the % is growing quickly.

Ugh-- doesn't look like the Campground Search page works for an iPhone 3Gs either....it just keeps coming back to the same search screen with no results!

Hope this can be fixed soon. I really would love to access this site via the iPhone while traveling.

9. Denali

Denali
    Expand Collapse

The site works quite nicely on the Droid Eris.

10. jangle

jangle
    Expand Collapse

Haven't had any issues with the site on my mobile, I have a Motorola Droid. Although if someone could make a Park Review app for the site....

11. Florida Native

Florida Native
    Expand Collapse

I just got the Verizon Droid and would love to have the campground portion of it on my Droid. Our style of camping is to decide in the afternoon where wee will be staying that night. Sometimes I will read 6 or 8 campground reviews of possible destinations for tomorrow and write them in my campground book. Having it "on the fly" would be wonderful.

12. Denali

Denali
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(Lindsay Richards @ May 28 2010, 06:19 AM) [snapback]22282[/snapback]

I just got the Verizon Droid and would love to have the campground portion of it on my Droid. Our style of camping is to decide in the afternoon where wee will be staying that night. Sometimes I will read 6 or 8 campground reviews of possible destinations for tomorrow and write them in my campground book. Having it "on the fly" would be wonderful.

While the site does works on the Droid, it obviously isn't optimized for phone's small screen. As an alternative, you can buy PdaNet for $18.95 and use your Droid as a modem for your laptop while you travel.

13. Moondoggie2k

Moondoggie2k
    Expand Collapse

I'm a bit late to the party here. I have a Motorola Droid and have been downloading apps like crazy. I've found one for just about everything that I can think of.

The two things that I wish we had was one for finding hiking trails in the area (distance, difficulty, directions, etc) while we're out camping and the other is to get reviews for campgrounds, just like is offered here. I know that I can browse it on the Droid, but I've seen some great integrations with web sites like eBay, Amazon, and even one for geocaching. I was really hoping that this site had an integrated Android app!

Android is all Java based and I'm a Java developer by trade. I'm dying to write an Android application, and I'd be willing to contribute if others are willing and we can get permission to integrate. We could make it a community effort!

Any takers?

14. John Blue

John Blue
    Expand Collapse

This website will be in an application very soon and you can down load it then. I do not know the date it will be ready but have look at the beta copy. I think everyone who has an Iphone, Droid or other type phone will like it.

15. Tulirose

Tulirose
    Expand Collapse

I would love to have an app for RVparkreviews.
    Keep us posted.

16. John S.

John S.
    Expand Collapse

It is not so much the iPhone butnthe iPad is amazing and uses Ipod apps and those made for the Ipad alone. I carried my laptop and Ipad for a week and never took the laptop out.

17. JamesSimon

JamesSimon
    Expand Collapse

i would also like to have an iPhone app just for mapping, cause theres some roads, GPS cant configure, out in the wilderness.

i just hope there's signal out there so i can reach your mapping directions. thanks!

and also, laptops are heavy pack to carry. so, serves a purpose too.

18. rvmamabel

rvmamabel
    Expand Collapse

Hi, don't have an iPhone, but I just got an iPad...it also works off of apps. The biggest frustration is that when I tap on a state in the home page, the state will come up, but I can't scroll down the menu of cities on the left. So, I have to do a lot of workarounds to get to a city that is close to the city I want to stay in...just a bit of a pain. If that could be fixed, it would be great. Thanks.

19. John S.

John S.
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(rvmamabel @ Jun 23 2010, 05:12 PM) [snapback]22688[/snapback]

Hi, don't have an iPhone, but I just got an iPad...it also works off of apps. The biggest frustration is that when I tap on a state in the home page, the state will come up, but I can't scroll down the menu of cities on the left. So, I have to do a lot of workarounds to get to a city that is close to the city I want to stay in...just a bit of a pain. If that could be fixed, it would be great. Thanks.

Interesting. On my iPad it looks just like my laptop. Wonder if the OS for the Iphone will be like the Ipad in function.

20. John Blue

John Blue
    Expand Collapse