Silly Rules

Discussion in 'General Community Discussions' started by DXSMac, Apr 14, 2008.

1. DXSMac

DXSMac
    Expand Collapse

I was reading a few reviews and someone rated a park down because of a rule of "NO ALCOHOL OUTSIDE THE RV." Ok, up front, that does seem like a silly rule. However, there may be a driver for it. This campground was located in Tennessee. Um......some of those southern states have "dry" counties. I'm guessing that was the "driver" for that rule. I lived in Georgia for 13 years, I found out all about wet and dry counties and the political issues they cause. So, if you are in a campground with a rule that seems silly to you, I would inquire as to what the "driver" for the rule is. And don't accept "just our policy" as an answer, that is never an answer!

Any other "silly" rules you have run across? Perhaps we can figure out the rationale for them.

JJ

2. gilda

gilda
    Expand Collapse

deleted

3. BBear

BBear
    Expand Collapse

The one sign I can never get over I saw at a campground pool "No Urinating In The Pool!" Ummm, like someone has to be told that, lol, but unfortunately I guess it does happen.

And, at the same pool a large sign states "No Diving" right next to a diving board...umm, that's just like giving candy to a child and telling them they can't eat it!

4. DXSMac

DXSMac
    Expand Collapse

Gilda, OH MY! Getting a discount for a certain religion???? I'm stymied!

BBear, I agree with you, telling us not to dive when there is a diving board??????

JJ

5. markfoto

markfoto
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(BBear @ Apr 14 2008, 04:00 PM) [snapback]11194[/snapback]

The one sign I can never get over I saw at a campground pool "No Urinating In The Pool!" Ummm, like someone has to be told that, lol, but unfortunately I guess it does happen.

Especially from the diving board! :blink:

6. BBear

BBear
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(Markfoto @ Apr 15 2008, 06:38 PM) [snapback]11223[/snapback]

LOL...swan dive. :eek: :p ;)

7. Jerry S

Jerry S
    Expand Collapse

On the "no diving" issue: About 20 years ago as our society was becoming more and more litigious, many insurance companies raised the premiums for liability insurance for businesses with swimming pools. For most parks it was easier and a lot cheaper to simply ban diving rather than spend the extra money. I think that some local governments even banned pool diving for safety reasons. That's one reason you almost never see a newer park with a depth of more than 5 feet. Many older parks with diving boards and/or adequate depth instituted the ban but did not remove the boards. Others actually removed the boards. I try to stay in parks with pools during my May to Nov travels. This usually amounts to 30+ different parks each year and I am lucky if a couple allow any diving and have only been to one park in recent years that had a board you could use.

So this silly rule is the the result of safety/insurance/lawsuit concerns.

8. FosterImposters

FosterImposters
    Expand Collapse

:lol:
    "Signs, signs, everywhere a sign. Blocking the scenery, breaking my mind..."
    Jerry makes a good point...our society has become goofy with the lawsuit mentality. One result are the often hilarious disclaimers posted on everything from our food containers to gas station pumps.
    Yep: it had "Do not drink" right on the pump.
    :eek:

9. BBear

BBear
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(Jerry S. @ Apr 16 2008, 12:02 AM) [snapback]11236[/snapback]

On the "no diving" issue: About 20 years ago as our society was becoming more and more litigious, many insurance companies raised the premiums for liability insurance for businesses with swimming pools. For most parks it was easier and a lot cheaper to simply ban diving rather than spend the extra money. I think that some local governments even banned pool diving for safety reasons. That's one reason you almost never see a newer park with a depth of more than 5 feet. Many older parks with diving boards and/or adequate depth instituted the ban but did not remove the boards. Others actually removed the boards. I try to stay in parks with pools during my May to Nov travels. This usually amounts to 30+ different parks each year and I am lucky if a couple allow any diving and have only been to one park in recent years that had a board you could use.

So this silly rule is the the result of safety/insurance/lawsuit concerns.

You're absolutely right, Jerry S. But, you know what's really sad, when it came down to it most of the "accidents" that took place with regard to diving and diving boards mostly were that of negligence on the part of the person hurt and not that of the owners of the pool, the makers of the pool, the diving board, etc..yet the owners and pool and diving board companies found it easier to accept blame and have their insurance companies deal with it and settle instead of fighting it. And, hence, people got away with millions because of an accident that actually was their own fault.

10. DXSMac

DXSMac
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(FosterImposters @ Apr 16 2008, 10:15 AM) [snapback]11244[/snapback]

:lol:
    "Signs, signs, everywhere a sign. Blocking the scenery, breaking my mind..."

Aw MAN!!!!! Take me back to the 70's!!!!!! :D Simpler Time!

JJ

11. Texasrvers

Texasrvers
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

QUOTE(BBear @ Apr 16 2008, 12:58 PM) [snapback]11248[/snapback]

the owners and pool and diving board companies found it easier to accept blame and have their insurance companies deal with it and settle instead of fighting it. And, hence, people got away with millions because of an accident that actually was their own fault.

Isn't this one reason why insurance rates are so high?!

12. BBear

BBear
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(Texasrvers @ Apr 16 2008, 02:47 PM) [snapback]11252[/snapback]

Isn't this one reason why insurance rates are so high?!

One of the reasons, yes.

13. FosterImposters

FosterImposters
    Expand Collapse

Ok...I've got a rule question. What is with the NO WASHING OF RV IN PARK. Yet one can HIRE someone to come by and wash the RV...no problem. :huh:

It's not a 'splatter your neighbor with suds' issue. The 'professional' RV washers do that just fine... :lol:

14. DXSMac

DXSMac
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(FosterImposters @ Apr 27 2008, 12:54 PM) [snapback]11362[/snapback]

Ok...I've got a rule question. What is with the NO WASHING OF RV IN PARK. Yet one can HIRE someone to come by and wash the RV...no problem. :huh:

It's not a 'splatter your neighbor with suds' issue. The 'professional' RV washers do that just fine... :lol:

I'm glad SOMEONE asked that question, I haven't figured out the driver for that! However, I have sanitized my fresh water tank in parks that said "no washing" and nobody said boo..... This involved a lot of driving around the park to slosh the tank, then a lot of dumping and refilling and dumping.......

Let's see.... we can split hairs with..... "I'm not washing, I'm rubbing spots off....."

JJ

15. BBear

BBear
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(FosterImposters @ Apr 27 2008, 03:54 PM) [snapback]11362[/snapback]

I've always thought the "No Washing of RV In Park" rule was to conserve water. I've never heard of hiring someone to come into do it, but maybe they're allowed so long as they bring their own tank filled with water like a lot of these powerwasher professionals have. But, if they don't bring their own tank and they're using the campgrounds water, I'd definitely bring up why they can do it and not the camper.

16. Parkview

Parkview
    Expand Collapse

17. mikel

mikel
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(Markfoto @ Apr 15 2008, 02:38 PM) [snapback]11223[/snapback]

NYYYCE!!

18. TexasRee

TexasRee
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(BBear @ Apr 28 2008, 12:08 PM) [snapback]11376[/snapback]

I've always thought the "No Washing of RV In Park" rule was to conserve water. I've never heard of hiring someone to come into do it, but maybe they're allowed so long as they bring their own tank filled with water like a lot of these powerwasher professionals have. But, if they don't bring their own tank and they're using the campgrounds water, I'd definitely bring up why they can do it and not the camper.

To get around the "no washing to conserve water" rule, a friend would wash his rig using water from the fresh water tank. When someone came and told him he could not wash the rig, he showed them that he was using "his" water. Of course, when finished, he filled up the tank. He said that nobody ever challenged him on it!

The professional services that are available in the nicer resort areas generally carry their own water supply.

http://www.jerry-jurhee.blogspot.com/

19. donee

donee
    Expand Collapse

I agree with the "No Washing".
    One park I was in had the same rule.
    Then they advertise that they are going to have a power washer come in and anyone interested apply at the office.
    Does that make sense???

20. TexasRee

TexasRee
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(donee @ Jul 2 2008, 01:51 AM) [snapback]12144[/snapback]

I agree with the "No Washing".
    One park I was in had the same rule.
    Then they advertise that they are going to have a power washer come in and anyone interested apply at the office.
    Does that make sense???

Of course, it makes "cents" and dollars, too. You can expect to pay $1.50 to $2.50 per foot (length of rig). I expect in some cases that park gets a cut of that. Many of the services do a poor job--in fact, sometimes it seems that the more they charge, the worse they do--partly because they are not doing it frequently so don't have the proper equipment and people do do it right.

A lot of times you will get a better wash at a truck wash.