Has Anybody Purchased An Rv Lot?

Discussion in 'General Community Discussions' started by rangiebob, Jun 1, 2008.

1. TexasRee

TexasRee
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(John S. @ Jun 22 2008, 09:31 PM) [snapback]11996[/snapback]

With all the sales declines in the motorhome industry now, the idea of a lot as a permanent base is interesting but I feel they will be alot cheaper soon. They have not felt the decline in sales yet that will come from a big decline in new sales. Now every year some RV will get taken off the road to hunting camps or to rot in a field. The new ones coming in are more than the ones going out and therefore you will have an increasing base of people looking to buy. BUt now the deleveraging of america and the slow down and near stoppage of sales is going to ripple through the entire RV industry. RV resorts are late stage and will be the last to be hit. I would be very careful buying one now.

I agree, John. I don't know about new sales in the OR Motor Coach Country Club in Indio. Those are so high priced as new lots that it is crazy. And resales are crazier. We are across the street where there are only resales. The prices have dropped significantly the last year, going along with the housing market.

We lowered the price a little on our lot---to the point that we would break even with the improvements. If it doesn't sell, we are not concerned, we will just continue to enjoy it until the market turns around.

Jurhee
    ---Are you on the Foretravel Owners list by any chance?

2. John S.

John S.
    Expand Collapse

Oh yes. I am the one on that list too. I have 195,000 miles now on my 3 Foretravels so far. I also own a Bornfree as well. SO I am a two motorhome owner . The BF is a new 2007 I bought at the end of the year..

3. TexasRee

TexasRee
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(John S. @ Jun 23 2008, 09:55 PM) [snapback]12012[/snapback]

Oh yes. I am the one on that list too. I have 195,000 miles now on my 3 Foretravels so far. I also own a Bornfree as well. SO I am a two motorhome owner . The BF is a new 2007 I bought at the end of the year..

I figured that was you, but not sure.

This is our first Foretravel, but there have been a BUNCH of others before this one--Mostly Country Coaches. We have really enjoyed the Foretravel.

Jurhee

4. John S.

John S.
    Expand Collapse

I am on my third Foretravel now. I have put on 195,000 miles on three units total. I have a 24 foot Bornfree as well for the short trips. It is funny they get the same mileage. I will say that I really like the new Foretravels but wanted the IFS when I was looking at a Nimbus in Oct. Now they have it but I will wait a while before looking again.

5. bj41

bj41
    Expand Collapse

Hi,
    I am new to this website and saw your post about buying a lot and thought I would give my 2 cents.
    I have noticed in Florida that alot of parks seem to be going this way and have visited a couple of them. I personally think what they want for them along with the monthly fees that it is an expensive way to camp. The lots that I saw were not any different than the sites that we camp on for a nightly , weekly, or monthly fee. I don't know if it is that way all over the country.
    My problem with it would be, what if I bought there and then decided I didn't want to be there any longer, how difficult is it to sell. I like the idea that if I want a change I can always book some place else.
    Just my thoughts.

6. TexasRee

TexasRee
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(bj41 @ Jun 24 2008, 06:15 PM) [snapback]12032[/snapback]

Hi,
    I am new to this website and saw your post about buying a lot and thought I would give my 2 cents.
    I have noticed in Florida that alot of parks seem to be going this way and have visited a couple of them. I personally think what they want for them along with the monthly fees that it is an expensive way to camp. The lots that I saw were not any different than the sites that we camp on for a nightly , weekly, or monthly fee. I don't know if it is that way all over the country.
    My problem with it would be, what if I bought there and then decided I didn't want to be there any longer, how difficult is it to sell. I like the idea that if I want a change I can always book some place else.
    Just my thoughts.

When you purchase a lot, it is real property, just like your house and you have the expenses that go along with "the joys of home-ownership" :p In some neighborhoods (stick house) you have HOA fees. You have maintenance, if you want to remodel, you have to pay for that. The same is true when you purchase a lot. Then, if you want to sell, it is like selling your house--it depends on the demand---what the market is doing at that time.

At Outdoor Resorts, Indio, CA , http://orindio.com/ and I expect the other similar Resorts, people come for the season. Different places have different seasons. In Indio, from October to April, the place is full---the rest of the time, there is almost nobody there. People don't come in for a weekend or something like that. About the only time anybody leaves is if they are going to a rally or something like that, then they come back. It is not "camping" as most of us think of camping. It is people living in their rig either seasonally or full time, where the climate is what they like. I have friends that winter in Indio, and have a similar lot in Oregon for the summer. Across the street from where we have a lot is the Motorcoach Country Club http://www.motorcoachcountryclub.com/main.php It is very expensive--as you will be able to tell by looking. Not camping there, for sure!!!

There are restriction on the rig that you have. For instance, in both, Class A coaches only. There is a minimum length restriction, but I don't remember what it it.

In reality, you can come to a place like this for the season and the rent won't be much more than the HOA fees for the year. The difference is that the expense is spread out through the year, and you own the lot and can use it and remodel as you desire.

7. bj41

bj41
    Expand Collapse

Hi,
    I do understand that it is like real property and you can do whatever you wish to it along as the resort doesn't have stipulations about what you do.
    For me, I am not sure I would want to go this way, I think it is alot of money to lay out as the ones that I have visited start at about $70,000 and that is the low end and being retired and not know how many years we would be able to travel to the resort makes me think twice.
    I realize it isn't camping as you think of parents with kids or camping in a tent, or pop up.
    We too have a Class A 2005 Motor Home and go to Florida at one resort for the winter and on our site we can do almost anything we want , but can't of course put up anything permanent.
    We are from NJ and the resorts (campgrounds) in our area, if you want you can do seasonal sites or year round sites and they allow you do alot.
    The bottom line is you have to do whatever works for you.
    I have visited on the web alot of resorts out towards your area and they are really beautiful.
    Good luck and Happy Traveling.
    PS I looked at your Blog, very nice and interesting.
    I keep a journal and pictures of our travels and the trip across country was very interesting seeing all parts of the country, never thought of a Blog, didn't know that much about them or how to go about putting together one.

QUOTE(Jurhee @ Jun 24 2008, 07:50 PM) [snapback]12042[/snapback]

When you purchase a lot, it is real property, just like your house and you have the expenses that go along with "the joys of home-ownership" :p In some neighborhoods (stick house) you have HOA fees. You have maintenance, if you want to remodel, you have to pay for that. The same is true when you purchase a lot. Then, if you want to sell, it is like selling your house--it depends on the demand---what the market is doing at that time.

At Outdoor Resorts, Indio, CA , http://orindio.com/ and I expect the other similar Resorts, people come for the season. Different places have different seasons. In Indio, from October to April, the place is full---the rest of the time, there is almost nobody there. People don't come in for a weekend or something like that. About the only time anybody leaves is if they are going to a rally or something like that, then they come back. It is not "camping" as most of us think of camping. It is people living in their rig either seasonally or full time, where the climate is what they like. I have friends that winter in Indio, and have a similar lot in Oregon for the summer. Across the street from where we have a lot is the Motorcoach Country Club http://www.motorcoachcountryclub.com/main.php It is very expensive--as you will be able to tell by looking. Not camping there, for sure!!!

There are restriction on the rig that you have. For instance, in both, Class A coaches only. There is a minimum length restriction, but I don't remember what it it.

In reality, you can come to a place like this for the season and the rent won't be much more than the HOA fees for the year. The difference is that the expense is spread out through the year, and you own the lot and can use it and remodel as you desire.

8. TexasRee

TexasRee
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(bj41 @ Jun 25 2008, 10:04 AM) [snapback]12053[/snapback]

Hi,
    I PS I looked at your Blog, very nice and interesting.
    I keep a journal and pictures of our travels and the trip across country was very interesting seeing all parts of the country, never thought of a Blog, didn't know that much about them or how to go about putting together one.

The blog is fairly easy. Sometimes it is difficult to get the spacing like I want it, but the site blogspot.com has the templates, colors, etc. And it is freel It has been something fun to do late at night after DH has gone to bed!

OUR GRANDSON IS COMPETING IN THE SWIMMING OLYMPIC TRIALS. IF INTERESTED, SCHEDULE INFORMATION IS SHOWN ON MY BLOG -- LINK BELOW.

9. bj41

bj41
    Expand Collapse

Thanks for the info on the Blog and Good Luck to your Grandson.

QUOTE(Jurhee @ Jun 25 2008, 10:09 AM) [snapback]12054[/snapback]

The blog is fairly easy. Sometimes it is difficult to get the spacing like I want it, but the site blogspot.com has the templates, colors, etc. And it is freel It has been something fun to do late at night after DH has gone to bed!
    OUR GRANDSON IS COMPETING IN THE SWIMMING OLYMPIC TRIALS. IF INTERESTED, SCHEDULE INFORMATION IS SHOWN ON MY BLOG -- LINK BELOW.