What Kind Of Music Do Rv'rs Listen To?

Discussion in 'General Community Discussions' started by DXSMac, Jun 12, 2008.

?

What music do RV'rs like?

1. Country Western (older or newer)

1 vote(s)
    16.7%
  2. Frank Sinatra, Tony Bennet, et. al.

1 vote(s)
    16.7%
  3. Big Band

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. 50's

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. 60's or 70's Rock

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. 80's music

3 vote(s)
    50.0%
  7. New Age

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Jazz

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Lawrence Welk Champaign Music

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. Other

1 vote(s)
    16.7%
  1. DXSMac

DXSMac
    Expand Collapse

I was just checking what music do most RV'rs listen to? I guess I'm assuming it's country/western, but I wanted to see.

Me? I mostly listen to new age (prefer the Windham Hill and the Narada musicians), and I do like Josh Groban (I think he is classified as "pop"). I also enjoy Al Stewart (that's AL Stewart, not ROD Stewart.... Rod is British, Al is Scottish....).

I also enjoy Neil Young (Formerly of Crosby, Stills, Nash, and Young), Moody Blues and Yes. And, my prize possession is the "It's a Beautiful Day" album (oh boy, I'm showing my age with use of the word "album") that has "White Bird" on it...... I got it copied to a CD.

JJ

2. pianotuna

pianotuna
    Expand Collapse

Hi all,

As I was, for many moons, a freelance classical violinist in Toronto, I prefer to listen to classical music.

3. DXSMac

DXSMac
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(pianotuna @ Jun 12 2008, 11:21 PM) [snapback]11819[/snapback]

Hi all,

As I was, for many moons, a freelance classical violinist in Toronto, I prefer to listen to classical music.

Oh my. I didn't even think to include that in one of the options. On here, when you set up a "poll," you are only allowed ten options for each question. I was trying to fill up all ten, and I didn't even think to put "classical." SHame on me!

I like to wake up to Classical on National Public Radio. I always set my clock radio for 30 minutes before I really have to get up, and I listen to the radio. Well, when I was younger, I had it set to a "rock" station. This caused an issue. The "30 minutes" would go by way too fast and I wasn't ready to get up yet. So, I came up with an idea. If I wake up to Classical music, by the time the 30 minutes went by, I would be SO FREAKING BORED TO DEATH, I would be ready to get up. It worked! For a few years....... Then, I started enjoying the "morning classical wake-up." In fact, I noticed that on days when Ravelli's "BOLERO" was part of the lineup, it would be a GREAT DAY!

I still do enjoy the "morning classical wake up" and it still kind of s-t-r-e-t-c-h-e-s out the 30 minutes before I MUST get out of bed....

So Pianotuna, you were a violinist? Do you work now as a piano tuner?

JJ

4. Jerry S

Jerry S
    Expand Collapse

JJ,

You forgot to take your own advice. Back on 1/29/08 in your poll about state parks, you chastised yourself for limiting the categories listed in the poll to your experience. Also, some of your categories are too specific. Your categories for Sinatra, Big Band, and Welk, for example, could be one category. Then there is the question of "Political Correctness". Where is gospel, blues, R&B, soul, Motown, hip-hop, rap, etc.?

My guess is that "Other" will edge out CW or 60's. Some of the other categories will garner few votes even if you get a lot of respondents to the poll.

5. pianotuna

pianotuna
    Expand Collapse

Hi JJ,

That would be the Ravel Bolero.

Yes, I do tune pianos for a living--and use my RV for business trips--which is why (given that I live in Saskatchewan) I have so much cold weather camping experience.

One of my clients has a grand piano in their mobile home! Almost-an-RV? LOL

QUOTE(DXSMac @ Jun 13 2008, 08:22 AM) [snapback]11822[/snapback]

Oh my. I was trying to fill up all ten, and I didn't even think to put "classical." SHame on me! Then, I started enjoying the "morning classical wake-up." In fact, I noticed that on days when Ravelli's "BOLERO" was part of the lineup, it would be a GREAT DAY!

I still do enjoy the "morning classical wake up" and it still kind of s-t-r-e-t-c-h-e-s out the 30 minutes before I MUST get out of bed....

So Pianotuna, you were a violinist? Do you work now as a piano tuner?

JJ

6. FosterImposters

FosterImposters
    Expand Collapse

:eek: Rats...cannot choose more than one music style? Soooo, we're another of the 'other' category. Good grief...no reason to limit one's listening!
    We have a CD 'pod' here with everything from Willy Nelson, Alison Krauss, Shania Twain, Carrie Underwood, Nanci Griffith...to some magnificent soundtracks from Peacemaker, Forest Gump, Chocolat, Rainman, Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil, Madagascar...
    Female Vocals ranging from Patsy Cline to Celine Dion, Loreena McKennitt, Etta James, Kathy Mattea...
    Male Vocals ranging from John Denver to Jan Hammer, Sting, Paul Simon, Elton John, Tony Bennett...
    Jazz, Classical Guitar, Bayou, Soul...whatever category Fleetwood Mac is.
    And... if you've never driven in LA traffic w/o Steppennwolf Born to be Wild, or Stones Jumping Jack Flash...you just haven't lived!
    B)

7. DXSMac

DXSMac
    Expand Collapse

Ok, I screwed up the poll again. :eek: I was trying to catch all possible genres and I was wondering how I could fit them into "only" ten options. At the end, I found I had slots leftover and was trying to find SOMETHING to fill it with. How could I not remember all those genres that Foster AND JERRY S pointed out? Ok, fine. I'm 52, "sometimers" is setting in......

I put this same poll on another forum and got lambasted for assuming the C/W thing. Well, most RV'rs I have met in person like CW.

And Fosters, I agree with you, I hate it that you can only pick ONE.

That's the last time I do a poll.....

8. FosterImposters

FosterImposters
    Expand Collapse

Ha! Don't you dare back down JJ. I loved digging thru our stash to list some goodies!
    Forgot we have XM radio tacked onto our Directv assortment...so listen to stuff I'd probably never purchase. Try MC Hammer in bumper to bumper traffic...awesome! They never cut this RV off! Ha!

So....if you see a little blonde, G'ma type, fist pumping or head bopping while eating up the miles in the RV... wave.
    Cheers! B)

9. Florida Native

Florida Native
    Expand Collapse

I listen to talk radio pretty much all the time while driving the RV. Music is only when I can't get good talk radio.

10. DXSMac

DXSMac
    Expand Collapse

oh, and speaking of driving, I LOVE to be driving down a long grade with Tom Petty's song.... oh.... I think it's called "Running Down a Dream....."

I don't have any Tom Petty CD's, not a big fan, but for some reason, I LOVE that "Running Down a Dream" song..... :lol:

JJ

11. Jerry S

Jerry S
    Expand Collapse

JJ,

To use your own lingo, "LORDY!!!". I can't be the only one of your elders on this forum who rolls their eyes every time you act as if 52 is old. We all slow down mentally and physically starting during our 40s, but you make it sound like you are ready for the "home". To many of us, you are ONLY 52.

You don't have to stop doing polls, just put a little more thought into it. To use a phrase you did in a recent forum topic, think "outside the box". You could also ask a few other RVers for their ideas before commiting to an online poll. A little outside input could have prevented the problems you have had with your polls.

12. Lee and Fran

Lee and Fran
    Expand Collapse

Everything except other, newage and 80's. LOL But I did vote country since I like it first, followed by old gold or 50's thru 70's, then the classics like braum, bethoven, chechowski, and so on and than easy listening, followed by things like jazz, blues, and cajun. That should name a bit.

13. Holiday Rambling

Holiday Rambling
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(DXSMac @ Jun 13 2008, 01:25 AM) [snapback]11818[/snapback]

I was just checking what music do most RV'rs listen to? I guess I'm assuming it's country/western, but I wanted to see.

Me? I mostly listen to new age (prefer the Windham Hill and the Narada musicians), and I do like Josh Groban (I think he is classified as "pop"). I also enjoy Al Stewart (that's AL Stewart, not ROD Stewart.... Rod is British, Al is Scottish....).

I also enjoy Neil Young (Formerly of Crosby, Stills, Nash, and Young), Moody Blues and Yes. And, my prize possession is the "It's a Beautiful Day" album (oh boy, I'm showing my age with use of the word "album") that has "White Bird" on it...... I got it copied to a CD.

JJ

We listen to "oldies" mostly but do enjoy alternative music such as "Celtic Women". If you haven't heard of these young ladies and like celtic music, I highly recommend you check them out. We were fortunate to see them in concert back in March and they were simply wonderful. The have the voices of angels. :)

14. rangiebob

rangiebob
    Expand Collapse

We added Sirius to our radio in the cab last year, so now we have endless choices while we're traveling down the road. We listen to NPR for news, classic rock, hard rock, classical, opera, oldies, all Bob Dylan, all Rolling Stones, all Elvis, all Frank Sinatra, depends on our moods!

15. shaynas_mommy

shaynas_mommy
    Expand Collapse

Seems like I'm a minority here, but I listen to everything from rock to country to rap to techno. I am obsessed with music and will be going to school later on to hopefully become an on-air d.j. I'm a true rock chick at heart though. Anything from the old stuff like Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd etc. to the new stuff like Hinder, Daughtry, etc.

16. DXSMac

DXSMac
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(shaynas_mommy @ Jul 16 2008, 08:24 AM) [snapback]12285[/snapback]

Seems like I'm a minority here, but I listen to everything from rock to country to rap to techno. I am obsessed with music and will be going to school later on to hopefully become an on-air d.j. I'm a true rock chick at heart though. Anything from the old stuff like Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd etc. to the new stuff like Hinder, Daughtry, etc.

I always thought I would be "hip" and always know what the current music was. However, I think I "lost track" in the 80's somewhere. Led Zeppeling, Pink Floyd, YEAH! Hinder, Daughtry.... um.... WHO? :D :lol:

The reason I know I lost track in the 80's is when I was on a travel assignment, in one of the smaller cities in Georgia (I think it was Augusta), I had heard that Roger McGuinn (The BYRDS) was going to do a solo act at one of the local bars. I ran in and excitedly told my team leader, who said, YEAH!!! I was in my 30's at the time. There were a couple of 20 somethings on the team, who said, "um.... WHO?????" That's when I realized I had gone "over the hill." Aw MAN!!!!!!! :eek:

JJ

17. shaynas_mommy

shaynas_mommy
    Expand Collapse

JJ, that is too funny. I'm going on 26, and I can just see myself rocking out when I'm in my 50's. Oh, and I LOVE 80's music, lol.

18. Texasrvers

Texasrvers
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

Hinder, Daughtry--who??

Led Pink who?

Bring on Elvis and the Beatles!!!!

19. Onemoretrail

Onemoretrail
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

I enjoy listening to New Country on my Sirius satellite radio, but listen in occasionally to CBC radio to get the news back home.

20. Rollin Ollens

Rollin Ollens
    Expand Collapse

Wow! This is an old thread. I had to go back to the initial post. There were posts from uses that have not been around for a while. I wonder how they are making out and if they are still RVing.

For what ever reason, I did not take the pole back then but I can say my answer would probably be the same today. I listen to almost everything except opera and rap.

Darrell