Blue Ridge Parkway

Discussion in 'General Community Discussions' started by WOOLFY, Jul 15, 2008.

1. WOOLFY

WOOLFY
    Expand Collapse

Need ideas on CG's as were planning on doing the Blue Ridge Parkway Sept./ Oct. time frame. Were going to start in Front Royal VA. and end up in Waynesville NC. If anyone has done this how long does it take to go the 470 miles at an easy pace. Any suggestions for campgrounds would be helpful or how to find them on the parkway.

2. Texasrvers

Texasrvers
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

We have driven several parts of the Blue Ridge Parkway, but not continuously from one end to the other. We have also stayed at cg's near the parkway, but not right on it. On the northern end we stayed at Country Waye Luray RV Resort in Luray, VA. That is near Front Royal I think. The road there is called Skyline Drive as it goes through Shenandoah NP, but then it joins the parkway farther south. On the southern end we have stayed at Campfire Lodgings in Asheville, NC and Creekside Farms in Waynesville, NC. All of these parks were great and are reviewed on this website.

One of our favorite stops along the parkway was Grandfather Mountain. Also the Biltmore Estate in Ashville was incredible.

You have picked a beautiful area for your trip. The fall colors should be spectacular. We were there in spring and got to see all the beautiful flowers.

Hope you have a great trip.

3. John Blue

John Blue
    Expand Collapse

I agree with Texasrvers on other places to camp. More places you may wish to look at, Meadows of Dan, VA. Campground in at Hwy 58 off Park Way. Park has open (sun) sites as well at ones in the trees. Nancy's candy shop and places to eat 1/2 mile. Mabry Mill one mile north on Park Way with place to eat as well. Great place to eat about 10 miles south on Park Way, I think word Dear come to mind. View is out of this world, people at Medows of Dan can help more. Very nice park in Galax, VA as well. Fox Trail Family Campground at Fancy Gap, VA short ways off I-77.

One more item is the low tunnels south of Asheville. Need to get on gov. web site and down load this information. Roads were build back around 1930 and some are very low.

You will find people along this road to be very nice and food is great.

4. sparky

sparky
    Expand Collapse

I definately Agree on both Campgrounds
    I am in a good sam group we have been to both and love them.personally I prefer Meadows of Dan, there is a small CG on the parkway-at Bedford Exit-Rt.43 south-sharp top.rv's 30 ft or less---nice resturant and Gift shop etc-don't know the mile marker. be sure you have good brakes and lots of fuel---please take your time. I think the parkway has it's own web site---and be sure you watch for the tunnels---overpasses.
    sparky.

5. Holiday Rambling

Holiday Rambling
    Expand Collapse

Please do yourself a favor and stay at The Country Waye Campground in Luray, VA. This is a gorgeous park which the owners run themselves. They take great pride in their park and it shows. You have indeed picked a marvelous time of the year to travel this scenic byway. We visit this area every fall during "apple time". Happy RVing to you and enjoy the scenery!

6. RLM

RLM
    Expand Collapse

To answer your question about travel time via an 'easy pace': The highest posted speed limit along the BRP is 45 mph. The grades aren't prolonged, but it is a hilly drive in many areas. Then of course you have to add in the stops, which considering the scenic drive, may be many. Depending on where you get on/off the parkway, those access roads can be more curvy and inclined making for slower speeds in a RV. I'll add my stops two-cents worth:

Natural Bridge - there's a nice campground there too
    Mount Mitchell - highest point. Taking the RV up there is a challenge
    Mill Mountain Star- in Roanoke. The two campgrounds aren't anything to brag about
    Peaks of Otter - near Bedford

In Waynesville, one of the better campgrounds is Pride. I'd also recommend a trip up the mountain in Maggie Valley to The Swag, but not in your RV. If you're interested in horse back riding in the mountains, there is a stable half way up the mountain at Hemphill.

If you have a sweet tooth absolutely don't miss Whitman's Resturant and Bakery in Waynesville.

I like this website for detailed map of the park way.

http://www.blueridgeparkway.org/maps.htm

Enjoy your trip. Wish I were going in Sep/Oct. It will be gorgeous.

7. CampChaos

CampChaos
    Expand Collapse

Please plan on stopping at the Julian Price Park near Blowing Rock, NC. This is a national park with an RV campground (electric only) I believe. There is a great lake with trails and boating. Also, the Moses Cone manor house is nearby right on the parkway with miles of paved and nonpaved trails for walking or biking. It is truly spectacular. The tourist towns on Blowing Rock and Boone, NC (home of Appalachian State University- go Mountaineers!) are close by with excellent shopping and dining. Don't miss Tanger Outlets in Blowing Rock, a fine dinner at Twigs and ice cream at Kilwins in downtown Blowing Rock. Of course, don't miss the Blowing Rock itself....North Carolina's first tourist attraction. Tweetsie Railroad amusement park is also worth the trip. Please plan to spend a couple of days around Julian Price park enjoying all of this beautiful area of NC! Here is a link:

http://www.blueridgeheritage.com/NaturalHe...morialpark.html

8. hypogi

hypogi
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(WOOLFY @ Jul 15 2008, 05:22 PM) [snapback]12281[/snapback]

Need ideas on CG's as were planning on doing the Blue Ridge Parkway Sept./ Oct. time frame. Were going to start in Front Royal VA. and end up in Waynesville NC. If anyone has done this how long does it take to go the 470 miles at an easy pace. Any suggestions for campgrounds would be helpful or how to find them on the parkway.

The Fancy Gap KOA is a beautiful park with some of the nicest bathrooms I have ever seen in a campground. They only run about 32$ a night for a full hook up with cable and wifi. We love this park and try to stay here as often as possible. They have great reviews on this website also.