Walking Through Campsites

Discussion in 'General Community Discussions' started by drmcleod, Aug 22, 2008.

1. Wadcutter

Wadcutter
    Expand Collapse

I taught my kids from an early age not to cut thru others campsites and now my 4 yr old grandson has learned not to cut thru others campsites. If a 4 year old can learn to respect others then you would think those 20 and up would be able to learn it too. Unfortunately, not so.

2. teddyrow

teddyrow
    Expand Collapse

Hi all,

I'm new to this forum, but I face this problem of people cutting through our campsite. We have a seasonal campsite that we have spent a lot of time, effort and money on. We've planted tons of flowers and have a water fountain, but the main reason I don't want people walking through "our" site is because of our dogs. We follow the rules by keeping our dogs on a leash and we don't allow them to bark and we make sure to clean up after them. However, if someone walks through our site, then I can't guarantee that they won't bite. They have never bitten anyone, but I always have the fear that they might and then who would be at fault? We have a small creek running beside our site that the kids play in and I enjoy watching and talking to them and I enjoy them having fun, if fact, it is the same creek that I played in when I was a kid. But, I do wish parents would kindly teach their children that for their safety that they shouldn't walk through people's campsites.

3. Butch

Butch
    Expand Collapse

Sometimes the parents do not know any better themselves, so they surely can not teach the youngsters any different. Personally we respect the other occupants sites, and only wish that they would respect ours..............it does not always happen....

4. susiequeue

susiequeue
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(RL36 @ Aug 23 2008, 03:04 PM) [snapback]12871[/snapback]

Heres my 2 cents, Ive had peaple kindly ask "Do you mind if we go through your site" I dont mind that. As long as its not a habit. But if peaple use it as a walkway or kids think they can rudly run and scream through my site then thats wrong, inconsideret and should not be done. The whole reason for us RVers and campers is not having to deal with that kind of c/g rudness. So I say, I pay good money to stay at that c/g so please stay out of my site, thank you! :D

We camp in several different types of campgrounds, including fields at race tracks. I think it is unacceptable to walk through someone else's site. It's too easy for someone not familiar with your site to walk into tent ropes, awning arms, cords for electric, etc and do damage to them. Plus it is just rude. The area under my awning is like my front porch at home, it's for me to sit on and wave at people passing by and invite them in if I so choose. I have been camping since early childhood along with my 7 brothers and sisters and our parents made sure we knew that it was not polite to walk through anyone else's campsite. Just my 2 cents! I'm new to this site and am really enjoying all the information I'm finding! :D

5. RLM

RLM
    Expand Collapse

drmcleod> Thank you for your kind words. You hit the nail on the head… “we’d all enjoy ourselves a little bit more…”

Kirk> I’d like one of those “Tolerance and courtesy should always rule” signs too.

6. sparky

sparky
    Expand Collapse

I do NOT go thru some ones site--it's theirs---my feeleing--I have been camping for more than 30 years---
    I need the exercise any way---walk around--
    Sparky in Va.

7. wmah

wmah
    Expand Collapse

I was a little amazed this last weekend where a few sites down a couple older kids would cut through the back of sites just feet away from tables across 3 or 4 sites to go to the showers/restrooms instead of the 30 feet to the paved path and to the showers/restrooms. Although and we were not even the ones next to them there was one other site between us and when they did come this way they had to go down a sloop to get to a sidewalk and then backtrack a bit. Since this was a KOA and a busy Labor Day weekend I am not going to complain anyways since most KOA's are supposed to be a family campground and we did enjoy watching the kids play on the play equipment with their dog even though the sign read "no pets on play ground"
    That said I would stay there again even if I knew it would happen only because of the wheelchair shower/restroom.

I have seen some campgrounds where design is a problem. imagine a 300 foot long rows with sites on each side and restroom in the middle row and someone with a site in the middle of the row would want to take the shortest route possible at that point to do some quick business before making a mess or they are just lazy.

8. dog bone

dog bone
    Expand Collapse

i too was also taught as a youngster not to walk thru someones campsite. you all have covered most of the reasons.
    we also have a seasonal site and because of a campground screw up people have been walking thru my site and others. the campground has a bath house in the middle of the seasonals and put the tenters on the outside of the loop.for the people to use the bath house, if they used the road, would be a 1/4 mile walk. laziness, rudeness and emergencys come into play. walk 100' or a 1/4 mile what do you think happens.
    the campground has since moved the tent sites to another area.

9. skippy102162

skippy102162
    Expand Collapse

I have taught my children that it is rude to walk thru other's campsites since the first day we went camping, but in all honesty, had I not been reading forums such as this, I wouldn't have known it, although it is really common sense if one really thinks about it.

My kids even today will comment when others walk thru our site, but we try not to make too big of a deal out of it just because we also want to be neighborly. Bottom line is, we don't cut thru other people's sites, but I cannot control other folks ignorant actions so choose not to be grumpy over something so minor. Life is too short to be in a wad over these silly issues--just go and try to have fun anyway--put something in the way of their walking thru or whatever, but don't get in too much of a wad over it if you can!!! Camping is suppose to be relaxing, fun and laid back.

10. kjh

kjh
    Expand Collapse

With kids it's sort of expected, but I would expect adults to be more considerate. In all our years of camping I don't remember this ever being a problem for us, but I know it happens a lot. I guess we are just more "laid back Southerners"!

11. Tom

Tom
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(drmcleod @ Aug 22 2008, 08:46 AM) [snapback]12845[/snapback]

So, before I give anymore of my opinion on the subject, I would like to get other opinions. So, give me an earfull... please.

This thread seems to be "revived"... but, in answer to walking through a stranger's campsite... NO!

I am kind of surprised at the relatively few negative responses here.

We have taught our kids from the first time we camped not to cut through other campsites. As another poster said, if a 4-5 year old can learn this, why can't teenagers?

If people ask (again, ASK) to cut through our site for some half way decent reason, great. Just don't make it a habit (unless, again, there is a legitimate reason).

Once we have met our neighbors, and they make it known it is okay to cut through their site, then our kids are allowed to... AFTER they ask, EVERY time! Wife and I, even after getting to know neighbors, do not cut through their site.

At our local state park, the sites are huge, and cutting through a corner of someone else's site may not be that big a deal, simply because of how far away you are from their camper (I still won't cut through a site there out of politeness). But the vast majority of campsites at private campgrounds we have been too are simply far too small for it to be considered anything but rude... In my opinion.

If you have no problem with people cutting through your campsite (even if it is so small they have to walk under your awning), that is fine. That doesn't mean other people like it if you do that.

I am not a mean old nasty man (at least, I don't think so...) but a little of what I consider to be just common courtesy and being polite goes a long way.

12. FosterImposters

FosterImposters
    Expand Collapse

Cutting through an occupied campsite is just rude.
    Currently set-up at an RV park which has not yet begun to fill with the usual gang of snow-birds. PLENTY of unoccupied spaces to walk. Never ceases to amaze me: the breed of folks that just HAVE to walk right beside my rig... then stop to let their "#*!!" dog relieve itself.
    :blink:
    I'm going to get a paint-ball gun...

13. DXSMac

DXSMac
    Expand Collapse

I agree it is rude... but.... I recently stayed at an RV park where the RV's were kind of... "stacked" against each other, and you can't help BUT be rude! I noted that in the review!

JJ

14. FosterImposters

FosterImposters
    Expand Collapse

Agreed. :p
    We too have been stacked like cord-wood and had to brace against the RV next to us to navigate around ours. Only plugged in the electricity overnight and left the next morning.

Good thing about being THAT close...usually enough stuff outside everyone's RV (chairs, tables, bbq, dog bowls...) that make walking between sites a hazard! :lol:

15. Trentheim

Trentheim
    Expand Collapse

Before my wife and I were blessed with our daughter, I would have been okay with people maybe cutting across the outer edges of the campsite. Now, though, I have to say no. Personal security is paramount now that we have a 2 yr old to watch over. This means no adults cutting through the campsite. It also means that kids will probably get a look or two-- the younger they are, the more relaxed I am in their transgressions.

Even then, nobody, no time, should be cutting through my camping equipment, under my awning, on my picnic table, over my fire pit, etc... unless they are an invited guest to my site.

I love to talk to people and will converse happily, but the bottom line is that I now have a child around and I have to protect her first.

16. Oregon Ms

Oregon Ms
    Expand Collapse

I find it alarming to find anyone in my space uninvited.

17. Holiday Rambling

Holiday Rambling
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(Wadcutter @ Aug 22 2008, 09:56 PM) [snapback]12866[/snapback]

Some of the parks where we've stayed we've encountered "trespassers". Typically it's been in public parks. Tolerance? No tolerance when 3-4 teenage/20 yr old kids parade thru our campsite, walking between my grandson and the campfire while he was sitting there cooking a hotdog , and stepping over the hotdog stick he was holding. No tolerance when a couple in about their 50s walked next to our camper and then complained when my wife came out the 5er door that she nearly hit them with the door. Tolerance? No way. That's just plain rude, inconsiderate conduct by people who have never learned any manners.
    Cutting thru someone's campsite because it's closer to the bathhouse? Tough, lay off the Twinkies and Coke, go for a walk and walk around other's campsite. The walk will do you good. I wouldn't think of encroaching on another's site and I expect the same from others. "common sense"? Common sense is don't go where you aren't uninvited.

[SIZE=14pt]Ok, I'm another camper unhappy about people cutting through a campsite. This is what just happened to me while staying at a very upscale RV resort near Myrtle Beach, SC. My husband had taken our dog out for their 1 mile lap around the campgrounds lake while I was preparing dinner. Our camping neighbors kept cutting through the back of our site instead of walking to the back of their site and then onto the paved walking path. On their way back to their camper, I was standing at the stove looking out the kitchen window when I saw them approach. At first I thought they were going to knock on my door, they were that close. But no, they walked behind the RV and stood and "peeked" in our fullview rear window trying to see inside our RV. Yes, you read correctly, faces pressed to the glass looking in. I was appalled! Our truck was parked right in front of the RV and yet that didn't seem to deter them. When my husband came back, he said he saw them clear across the lake. I still can't believe it! :eek: [/SIZE]

18. Texasrvers

Texasrvers
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

T Lynn,

I'd call that a lot more than just cutting through!

19. drmcleod

drmcleod
    Expand Collapse

I'm still torn.

Like I said previously, I want to go camping in a place where everyone is friendly, nice and neighborly. I don't want to be the "grumpy old man" in site #123. I think it's great to have a community of neighbors where it's okay to walk through someone's site to get to where they're going.

Having said that... All of the points made on this thread are valid!

I don't want my safety or security compromised.

I don't want people looking at my stuff when they pass through.

I ESPECIALLY don't want someone peering into my RV like a peeping Tom!!! (this type of behavior is reason to contact the park management and file a complaint)

I don't know, maybe the good 'ole days of friendly neighborhood campgrounds have passed into yesteryear. It seems as though it's okay to pull in and put up the invisible fence around our space. Seems kind of sad. I don't want to agree with all the reasons that are mentioned here... but I do.

20. catman2130093

catman2130093
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(drmcleod @ Dec 5 2008, 02:08 PM) [snapback]14347[/snapback]

I'm still torn.

Like I said previously, I want to go camping in a place where everyone is friendly, nice and neighborly. I don't want to be the "grumpy old man" in site #123. I think it's great to have a community of neighbors where it's okay to walk through someone's site to get to where they're going.

Having said that... All of the points made on this thread are valid!

I don't want my safety or security compromised.

I don't want people looking at my stuff when they pass through.

I ESPECIALLY don't want someone peering into my RV like a peeping Tom!!! (this type of behavior is reason to contact the park management and file a complaint)

I don't know, maybe the good 'ole days of friendly neighborhood campgrounds have passed into yesteryear. It seems as though it's okay to pull in and put up the invisible fence around our space. Seems kind of sad. I don't want to agree with all the reasons that are mentioned here... but I do.

I don't like it, it's rude. I don't do it either. Apart from someone looking inside (Amazing!)the thing that irritates me are the *****les that walk their dog to my lot to let it do it's business, especially when my cats are sitting inside the rv behind the screen door.....makes a paint gun sound tempting...