Walking Through Campsites

Discussion in 'General Community Discussions' started by drmcleod, Aug 22, 2008.

1. KentuckyCampin

KentuckyCampin
    Expand Collapse

I have been camping since I was a young boy in Cub Scouts/Boy Scouts. One thing that stands out to this day, is as a Scout, you always stop at another Pack/Troop entrance way to their CG, and ask "Permission to enter campsite". Of course it was always granted, and this was a way to teach young boys/young men to respect other peoples space.
    Fast forward 30+ years - I have 2 boys of my own now and they love camping. We have went from the tent camping, to pop-up camper and now a travel trailer. I have always taught my boys to never walk through another campsite without permission. It is common courtesy and respect for every other camper in the campground. I have noticed that through the years, that this is something that is disappearing from society. Common courtesy and respect of others.

I do not cut through other campsites that are occupied, and on the same token, I do not like for people to cut through my campsite. I have even had kids running around playing tag or hide and go seek ripping and tearing through my camp site!!! If I caught my kids doing that, they would be in deep trouble, to say the least. I just wish more campers would instill respect and common courtesy in their kids.
    Dogs, thats another thing!! I dont mind people bringing their dogs with them, however, we have had multiple problems with dogs and their owners. Everything from crapping in our campsite, barking constantly at everything that moves, and even getting loose and coming into our campsite and nosing around peeing on everything!!

I pay my hard earned money to be able to get out and enjoy camping with my wife and kids. I enjoy talking to our "neighbors" and I try to be friendly and helpful while out camping.

So to answer your question, no cutting through is not right. :D

2. jobob

jobob
    Expand Collapse

I think it is rude to enter another persons campsite uninvited. I saw someone walking their dog and letting it relieve itself on a cooler that was sitting in front of the rig next to me. I alway take my dog to the dog walk area and never let them go on tires or bushes. That's just plain nasty.

3. KentuckyCampin

KentuckyCampin
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(jobob @ Mar 19 2009, 10:47 PM) [snapback]15556[/snapback]

I think it is rude to enter another persons campsite uninvited. I saw someone walking their dog and letting it relieve itself on a cooler that was sitting in front of the rig next to me. I alway take my dog to the dog walk area and never let them go on tires or bushes. That's just plain nasty.

If I had a dog pissing on my cooler, I would drop kick it right out of the campground!! And then the owner would follow very closely behind!!
    I would probably come unglued if I walked out my camper and saw that!! :angry:

4. HappiestCamper

HappiestCamper
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(KentuckyCampin @ Mar 20 2009, 10:46 PM) [snapback]15570[/snapback]

If I had a dog pissing on my cooler, I would drop kick it right out of the campground!! And then the owner would follow very closely behind!!
    I would probably come unglued if I walked out my camper and saw that!! :angry:

Now I disagree - the dog isn't at fault. It's the stupid owner.

5. NandFamily

NandFamily
    Expand Collapse

We been campers for many years. I dont mind if its young kids. We usually just smile and most of the time they'll stop and chat a moment. Ask about our dog, where were from, etc. We dont mind if it's an older kid or someone who is looking for the bathhouse. We'll point them in the right direction even if it's through our spot. If it's an elderly (older)person, I'll walk you till you can see it, if you'd like. But if it's lots of kids and they keep doing it, we usually redirect them around our site, never being rude. We've never really had adults doing this. I have cut though empty spots. And will politely stay as far away as I can from anyone's camper that is near by. We dont mind people stopping by and starting a conversation. In fact, we enjoy that.
    Happy camping!!! We're off to Percy Quin State Park this weekend!!

Nandfamily -_-

6. 798hand

798hand
    Expand Collapse

wadcutter hit the nail on the head

7. 04 jayco ken

04 jayco ken
    Expand Collapse

I know this concept may be a little over the top but, common sense, common courtesy may come into play. I personally do not cut thru and try to raise my kids to think of others too. Some may not mind, I don't have an attitude about it but it is a respect thing. I feel the same as some other posts that at home if cutting thru to catch the bus or whatever but not just because it is easier. We only have so much room at campsite, and nothing is so far away to go on down a bit. If it is the kids that have been playing with your kids all weekend and they are going to play with or without your kids then all bets are off.

8. nicki

nicki
    Expand Collapse

I would never dream of walking through someone else's campsite. It is just common courtesy. I also have taught my children not to either, and I do not let the dog's leash extend into other peole's site while out walking. I think most people need their personal space, and I expect to be allowed mine. Just because you don't "own" the spot, you have indeed paid for it, so you are entitled to some degree of privacy.

9. Ohiojude

Ohiojude
    Expand Collapse

Last summer we camped in the KOA Andirondak MTNs. It was at night, really dark outside and my husband and myself sitting by the fire just talking and stuff. I happen to turn my head to see this kid about 12-14 yrs old walking up behind me. OMG scared the bejesus out of me! I screamed and he ran off.

I also have had people sit at my picnic table in my campsite, giving themselves a break i guess. Not even asking me if they can sit or to just to chat.

10. DXSMac

DXSMac
    Expand Collapse

When I camp hosted at a State park in WA state, we had the ULTIMATE. SQUATTERS!

There were two campsites, #49 and #50. Both sites are pretty spacious and far apart. The people in 49 had an RV, but no tents and weren't using their tent space. The people in 50 were using their tent space, but had parked their vehicles on the grass instead of in the RV area. Well, in the middle of the night, squatters came in with three vehicles and tents in the unused areas of BOTH the sites.

JJ

11. drmcleod

drmcleod
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(NandFamily @ Apr 6 2009, 03:45 PM) [snapback]15763[/snapback]

We been campers for many years. I dont mind if its young kids. We usually just smile and most of the time they'll stop and chat a moment. Ask about our dog, where were from, etc. We dont mind if it's an older kid or someone who is looking for the bathhouse. We'll point them in the right direction even if it's through our spot. If it's an elderly (older)person, I'll walk you till you can see it, if you'd like. But if it's lots of kids and they keep doing it, we usually redirect them around our site, never being rude. We've never really had adults doing this. I have cut though empty spots. And will politely stay as far away as I can from anyone's camper that is near by. We dont mind people stopping by and starting a conversation. In fact, we enjoy that.
    Happy camping!!! We're off to Percy Quin State Park this weekend!!

Nandfamily -_-

Now that's what I'm talking about!!

12. RockHound

RockHound
    Expand Collapse

New to the site, but have been camping all my life. I have seen a lot change in this time. 20 years ago, the atmosphere seemed a lot friendlier. People all over the campground mixing it up. Playing horseshoes and volleyball together. Now people for the most part like to keep to themselves and their families while camping. The way things seem to be changing for the worse these days, I find myself going this way, also. I want to keep my kids/family safe. As well as my stuff. I can't afford to replace things. More and more people have little or no respect for others and others property. This being said, I will cut through an empty site if I need to. If there is some sort of definite boundary between two sites, I might cut through. I would never cut right through the middle of someone's occupied site. Nor will my kids.

13. Tom

Tom
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(RockHound @ Jul 8 2009, 12:58 PM) [snapback]17459[/snapback]

I have seen a lot change in this time. 20 years ago, the atmosphere seemed a lot friendlier.

I have found that it is not so different, but you just have to be the first one to say "Hello!". Many, many times once I've introduced myself (and family) to neighbors, and ended up having a great weekend hanging out with "strangers" who suddenly are "friends". Nothing wrong with being the first one to make the effort!

14. 5happycampers

5happycampers
    Expand Collapse

This is a topic I have been thinking about lately :D My kids were taught that you do not go through an occupied site. For us, it seems to be one of the basic rules of campground etiquette.

However, we recently camped at one of the big campgrounds in Myrtle Beach. We were 2 rows over and 2 sites down from a bathhouse. Everyone seemed to cut through our site, even though they only saved themselves a few extra steps by doing that . It got to be very frustrating after awhile. Also, we had one neighbor across the way that would always bring her 2 dogs out of the camper - pick them up - CARRY them to a neighboring occupied site then let them down to do their business. When they were done, she scooped the dogs back up and carried them back into their camper.

15. Cheryl

Cheryl
    Expand Collapse

Did she at least pick up "their business"? If not, you should have reported her. That is way beyond rude.

16. RockHound

RockHound
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(5happycampers @ Jul 10 2009, 01:46 AM) [snapback]17485[/snapback]

This is a topic I have been thinking about lately :D My kids were taught that you do not go through an occupied site. For us, it seems to be one of the basic rules of campground etiquette.

However, we recently camped at one of the big campgrounds in Myrtle Beach. We were 2 rows over and 2 sites down from a bathhouse. Everyone seemed to cut through our site, even though they only saved themselves a few extra steps by doing that . It got to be very frustrating after awhile. Also, we had one neighbor across the way that would always bring her 2 dogs out of the camper - pick them up - CARRY them to a neighboring occupied site then let them down to do their business. When they were done, she scooped the dogs back up and carried them back into their camper.

Was it Pirateland? Just curious, as we just returned from there, and didn't have a very good experience.

17. nicki

nicki
    Expand Collapse

I just asked my kids, ages 9 and 10, if it is OK to cut thru other people's campsites, and they both shook their heads and said "No!" as in, "Of course not, silly!" Another related issue--people who walk their dogs on those long, extendable leashes that get up to 20 feet long, and let the dogs run out on these long leashes right up onto people's campsites, essentially allowing the dogs to "cut thru" other people's campsites. My dogs are unpredictable poopers--I would be mortified to have to walk up that close to someone else's camper to clean up the poop, so we keep those extendable leashes locked in a short position until we are in a big common area where we can allow a little more freedom. I would appreciate if others did the same!!

18. rangiebob

rangiebob
    Expand Collapse

I would no more walk through somebody else's campsite than I would walk across their grass at their home. I expect the same courtesy but don't always get it.

19. NorthernIllinoisPlumber

NorthernIllinoisPlumber
    Expand Collapse

Reading this post from last year ensures that I will get a sight away from the bathroom!

I was raised NEVER to cut through property....and property does extend to other venues. Hotels, apartments, cars AND campsites. You are paying for the use of a piece of property, and are responsible for the property. Just because you are renting for the night does not mean you should have to give up your right to privacy, and being left alone. I would think a good amount of people camp to be left alone?

With a smile tell them to go around.

20. GrandmaM

GrandmaM
    Expand Collapse

I won't cut through your site; please don't cut through mine.

And please keep an eye, literally, on your young children. It's great that children are friendly, and want to talk, but not everyone in a camper is a good person. If you can't see your child, he's too far away from you. As my granddaughter's karate teacher tells her class, there are only three things a polite child says to strangers: "Hello", "Goodbye" and "NO!!", the last being yelled as loudly as possible. Your child will never have to yell it at a campground if you are a responsible parent and keep him in sight.