Criteria For Rating A Campground

Discussion in 'Destinations and RV Parks' started by RVer from Oregon, Oct 4, 2008.

1. gwbischoff

gwbischoff
    Expand Collapse

2. dean&maria

dean&maria
    Expand Collapse

The one criteria that I would like to see described in park reviews is how accessible nearby attractions really are by foot. This is a big factor in my park criteria because we are specifically seeking parks that you can walk to the water or other types of attractions. We own a motorhome and choose to not tow a vehicle, and so typically have only kayaks and bicycles. When a park website or personnel claim that you can walk to the water in less than 5 minutes only to find that it is over a mile (not bad for a walk but tough to carry the kayak), then they are going to get a bad review from me. As a side note, I'm not a huge tree hugger (I do drive a motorhome!), but do find it sad that so few of our fellow campers get out and walk around or ride bikes or boat in something that you have to use your own power to operate. Apart from my fellow dog owners who are out there walking dogs throughout the day, we rarely see anyone walking or biking, etc - but we do see a ton of people in every form of tow vehicle and golf cart/ATV.

3. DXSMac

DXSMac
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(dean&maria @ Nov 10 2008, 04:08 PM) [snapback]13838[/snapback]

The one criteria that I would like to see described in park reviews is how accessible nearby attractions really are by foot. This is a big factor in my park criteria because we are specifically seeking parks that you can walk to the water or other types of attractions. We own a motorhome and choose to not tow a vehicle, and so typically have only kayaks and bicycles. When a park website or personnel claim that you can walk to the water in less than 5 minutes only to find that it is over a mile (not bad for a walk but tough to carry the kayak), then they are going to get a bad review from me. As a side note, I'm not a huge tree hugger (I do drive a motorhome!), but do find it sad that so few of our fellow campers get out and walk around or ride bikes or boat in something that you have to use your own power to operate. Apart from my fellow dog owners who are out there walking dogs throughout the day, we rarely see anyone walking or biking, etc - but we do see a ton of people in every form of tow vehicle and golf cart/ATV.

I usually include those kinds of things in my review because I don't tow a car, either. I'm doing a blog on rv'ing toadless (without a tow car). Check the link in my signature.

JJ

4. mikel

mikel
    Expand Collapse

I try to make my best objective judgement, which based on my likes and dislikes have some subjectivity sprinkled in regardless.

Marking a park down based on what they do or don't offer doesn't really enter into my judgements. Exceptions do exist of course. Example we live in central Texas and go to San Antonio quite a bit for concerts, holidays, etc. I've rated the same place a 9 then less than a year later a 2 due to conditions of the park, management attitude, reservation problems, etc. I guess basically lower ratings occur due to happenings that could be prevented.

Human error is common, construction happens, but dirty toilets, showers, failing amenties and the such that need attention and don't get it in reasonable time frame all enter into the equation.

mikel

5. BBear

BBear
    Expand Collapse

Regardless of what criteria you use, you should explain the campground fully in your review so that it would benefit everyone who camps there regardless of if they are staying in a 40 foot motorhome or a tent or a cabin.

My days of staying in a motorhome are long gone and I've gone back to staying in a tent and sometimes now will also stay in a cabin, but when I do my review, I try to take all types of camping and/or recreational vehicle equipment into consideration. Although low-hanging branches in a park may not affect me, it would a person traveling in a motorhome or TT, so I will mention if there are low-hanging branches for their benefit. The same with pet policies and Wi-Fi, although I don't need either, I will mention in a review the pet policies and if a campground has Wi-Fi or not so as to give that information to those who require such.