Thanksgiving Plans

Discussion in 'General Community Discussions' started by campingandtravels.blogspot.com, Oct 31, 2008.

1. campingandtravels.blogspot.com

Hi,

This will be our first year on the road for Thanksgiving. We were wondering what plans people have for the Big Day? We always like leftovers, and we think it'll take a week to cook everything in our tiny oven to be ready for dinner! :)

Suzanne & Brad
    campingandtravels.blogspot.com

2. BBear

BBear
    Expand Collapse

I've camped a few times over Thanksgiving and to make things easier and quicker, I roasted turkey breasts instead of a whole turkey. Takes up half the space, cooks in half the time and tastes just the same.

3. gwbischoff

gwbischoff
    Expand Collapse

We usually do the turkey at home, carve it up and re-heat it (or not) in the RV.

We all love the turkey sandwiches better than the regular Thanksgiving dinner anyway.

4. pianotuna

pianotuna
    Expand Collapse

Hi Suzanne,

It's time to get creative with a slow cooker and/or auxiliary 110 volt oven. Those can both double as food warmers if storage is possible. How about doing a joint supper with the neighbors at the campground--if every oven is cooking just one item it should be a snap!

Alas my oven has long since gone to "oven heaven" so I rely a lot on my slow cooker. It just fits into my sink--so I can trundle down the road and cook in it using the inverter.

QUOTE(campingandtravels.blogspot.com @ Oct 31 2008, 01:07 PM) [snapback]13738[/snapback]

Hi,

This will be our first year on the road for Thanksgiving. We were wondering what plans people have for the Big Day? We always like leftovers, and we think it'll take a week to cook everything in our tiny oven to be ready for dinner! :)

Suzanne & Brad

5. FosterImposters

FosterImposters
    Expand Collapse

Hello Suzanne and Brad! I strongly recommend doing some turkey/stuffing, beans/mashed potatoes, breads etc. !!! :rolleyes:
    BBear makes a great point: just do it all in smaller portions. Your RV will smell heavenly and you will be so pleased to pull it all off!!!
    A good wine made us laugh at all the gyrations to achieve our version of Thanksgiving dinner...in a MUCH reduced space. And you are SO right...the leftovers are unbelieveable!!!
    Already planning this year's version... B)

6. Holiday Rambling

Holiday Rambling
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(campingandtravels.blogspot.com @ Oct 31 2008, 03:07 PM) [snapback]13738[/snapback]

Hi,

Suzanne & Brad

We too spend Thanksgiving in our RV. Last year we actually grilled a turkey breast, it took about 2.5 hrs in a Holland Grill (which does not flare up, in fact their motto is: if you're lookin', you ain't cookin). It was absolutely the best turkey breat we have ever had and no mess in the RV. I also buy a quick prepare cornbread stuffing, Evans mashed potatoes (which I heat in microwave), a jar of chicken gravy (not turkey) and mix with the drippings I catch from the grill. Add a veggie, rolls and dessert and your Thanksgiving dinner is a smaller less labor intensive but still delicious meal. HAPPY THANKSGIVING! :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

7. BBear

BBear
    Expand Collapse

I have a super easy stuffing I make that you can tweak with spices & herbs, etc. to your taste, but I've found the less spice and herbs such as sage you use, the better the stuffing tastes.

All you need is a cup of chopped celery, 1 stick of margarine and a 1/2 cup of onion, put that in a microwavable 2 quart casserole covered and nuke for 6 to 8 minutes on high. If you don't have a microwave just put in skillet on stove and cook at medium to low heat until onion and celery are tender.

When that mixture has cooked you toss that over 8 cups of soft bread cubes (I usually just tear up one bag of store bought bread). Salt and pepper to taste and throw 3/4 cup of water over the top and mix all up and either stuff the turkey with it or you can put it back into the 2 quart casserole and then bake it separately from the turkey...40 minutes in a 325 degree oven or 20 minutes in 375 degrees covered, then remove covering and bake for additional 5 minutes.

This recipe is easy because it doesn't require a lot of ingredients especially eggs and most you can prep before hand, like chopping the celery and onion and tearing up the bread.

8. campingandtravels.blogspot.com

QUOTE(campingandtravels.blogspot.com @ Oct 31 2008, 12:07 PM) [snapback]13738[/snapback]

Hi,

Suzanne & Brad

Yeah - we were thinking a turkey breast would be the way to go too. :)

QUOTE(BBear @ Oct 31 2008, 12:38 PM) [snapback]13739[/snapback]

I've camped a few times over Thanksgiving and to make things easier and quicker, I roasted turkey breasts instead of a whole turkey. Takes up half the space, cooks in half the time and tastes just the same.

QUOTE(pianotuna @ Oct 31 2008, 02:00 PM) [snapback]13741[/snapback]

Hi Suzanne,

It's time to get creative with a slow cooker and/or auxiliary 110 volt oven. Those can both double as food warmers if storage is possible. How about doing a joint supper with the neighbors at the campground--if every oven is cooking just one item it should be a snap!

Alas my oven has long since gone to "oven heaven" so I rely a lot on my slow cooker. It just fits into my sink--so I can trundle down the road and cook in it using the inverter.

A slow cooker.......now that does give me some ideas. Thanks!!! B)

QUOTE(T Lynn @ Oct 31 2008, 11:11 PM) [snapback]13748[/snapback]

We too spend Thanksgiving in our RV. Last year we actually grilled a turkey breast, it took about 2.5 hrs in a Holland Grill (which does not flare up, in fact their motto is: if you're lookin', you ain't cookin). It was absolutely the best turkey breat we have ever had and no mess in the RV. I also buy a quick prepare cornbread stuffing, Evans mashed potatoes (which I heat in microwave), a jar of chicken gravy (not turkey) and mix with the drippings I catch from the grill. Add a veggie, rolls and dessert and your Thanksgiving dinner is a smaller less labor intensive but still delicious meal. HAPPY THANKSGIVING! :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Sounds great!! What time should we be there? ;)

9. RLM

RLM
    Expand Collapse

Normally, we find a buffet type resturant and eat out. No cooking, no cleaning, and no leftover. For just two people, we can't buy the stuff as cheap as we can eat out.

Occassionally, we get to stop in at the in-laws who have a tradition of doing fajitas with all the fixins for Thanksgiving. Yeah, I know it's not 'the' traditional meal, but that's probably only because the Pilgrams didn't land in Texas. :rolleyes:

10. Lee and Fran

Lee and Fran
    Expand Collapse

Last year we stopped in a Flying J in Texas along our route and this year we talked of maybe hittting the flying J in Wintrop, Az about 50 miles from our location.

11. Holiday Rambling

Holiday Rambling
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(campingandtravels.blogspot.com @ Nov 1 2008, 11:56 PM) [snapback]13755[/snapback]

A slow cooker.......now that does give me some ideas. Thanks!!! B)
    Sounds great!! What time should we be there? ;)

LOL, we'll be in Myrtle Beach at WillowTree Resort, dinner will be early afternoon, the more the merrier!! :D

12. DXSMac

DXSMac
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(BBear @ Nov 1 2008, 08:54 AM) [snapback]13750[/snapback]

I have a super easy stuffing I make that you can tweak with spices & herbs, etc. to your taste, but I've found the less spice and herbs such as sage you use, the better the stuffing tastes.

All you need is a cup of chopped celery, 1 stick of margarine and a 1/2 cup of onion, put that in a microwavable 2 quart casserole covered and nuke for 6 to 8 minutes on high. If you don't have a microwave just put in skillet on stove and cook at medium to low heat until onion and celery are tender.

When that mixture has cooked you toss that over 8 cups of soft bread cubes (I usually just tear up one bag of store bought bread). Salt and pepper to taste and throw 3/4 cup of water over the top and mix all up and either stuff the turkey with it or you can put it back into the 2 quart casserole and then bake it separately from the turkey...40 minutes in a 325 degree oven or 20 minutes in 375 degrees covered, then remove covering and bake for additional 5 minutes.

This recipe is easy because it doesn't require a lot of ingredients especially eggs and most you can prep before hand, like chopping the celery and onion and tearing up the bread.

BBear, I usually save "end pieces" in the freezer. Can a bunch of "end pieces" (thawed out) be used??? I usually use the end pieces for bread crumbs for meat loaf, or for a scallop recipe I have.

JJ

13. BBear

BBear
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(DXSMac @ Nov 14 2008, 11:44 AM) [snapback]13899[/snapback]

BBear, I usually save "end pieces" in the freezer. Can a bunch of "end pieces" (thawed out) be used??? I usually use the end pieces for bread crumbs for meat loaf, or for a scallop recipe I have.

JJ

Absolutely, they can be used. In fact, I usually clean my freezer out of whatever bread products I have in there when I make stuffing....not just bread, but hot dog and hamburger rolls, dinner rolls, corn bread, bran and cranberry muffins...just thaw them and don't worry if they may be a little hard, just tear them up, the liquids in the stuffing will soften them up when baking.