Charging For Pets

Discussion in 'General Community Discussions' started by campingandtravels.blogspot.com, Nov 7, 2008.

1. campingandtravels.blogspot.com

Hi,

What's the ratioanle behind charging for pets? Especailly cats? In fact, do people even claim an indoor cat as a pet if there is a fee for pets, since the park owners may or may not even notice?

Just wondering.......it doesn't even apply to us right now - we lost our dog a few months ago, and don't have a cat.

Suzanne
    www.campingandtravels.blogspot.com

2. gilda

gilda
    Expand Collapse

deleted

3. Texasrvers

Texasrvers
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

This charging for pets discussion sure sounds like it is closely related to the charging for Wi-Fi discussion. Many people have stated they do not like to pay separately for cable TV, Wi-Fi, children, pets, pool use, etc. They prefer a fee that is all inclusive. But some people who don't have or need these things look at it as paying for something they don't use. As with the other discussions this one will probably not reach a solution either.

Personally I do not agree with charging a fee for pets, but I can see how charging for them would help pay for any clean up that is needed. (Yes, I know everyone on this site always cleans up after their pet, but apparently there are many that don't.) We travel with a cat (used to have 3 cats) and we have never stayed at a place that charged for them. I have never lied about having pets with us, but I also let the park know that we never let them out of the coach. I don't know if that makes a difference at places that would normally charge. If we had a dog I would probably be more tolerant of a fee (especially if there is a well maintained dog area), but I can't see how our indoor cat would cause any extra work or expense for the park. All that said if we accidentally picked a place that did charge for pets (cats included) I would probably pay the fee and stay anyway.

4. Lee and Fran

Lee and Fran
    Expand Collapse

As a pet owner I dont mind paying extra and I have yet to be asked to pay for my cats which never leave the house anyway. And I always pick up after my dog.

5. Holiday Rambling

Holiday Rambling
    Expand Collapse

We also travel with a dog and it never ceases to amaze me the number of people that WILL NOT pick up after their pets. I can only image what their backyards at home must look like. I don't like paying a nightly charge for my dog but I certainly understand the reasoning behind it. We always have pockets full of baggies with us in case our scottie has an accident while we are walking her around the campground. We pick it up and deposit it in the appropriate trash disposal. It reminds me of people who think campgrounds are babysitters for their children that they let run through the resort at will. It's their small weekend "vacation", let someone else tend to the children and pick up their dog waste while they're at it.

What gets to me as well is when pet owners let their dogs bark continually while they (the owners) are "cooped up inside" their RV's and never attempt to quiet their unhappy pets. Or the ones that sit or stand right there while the dog barks and does nothing. I find owners of small dogs most guilty of this. I suppose they think that little pip squeak bark is not irritating. Now, please don't think I dislike animals, I love them but it is up to us the pet owner to make sure our pets behind and do not disturb others. My scottie is a real "talker" meaning she whimpers/whines in excitement to meet people and other dogs and I put a stop to that immediately and if she persist, indoors she goes. NO ALLOWANCES - NO TOLERANCE! I don't want to hear your dog so why would you want to hear mine. :)

6. FosterImposters

FosterImposters
    Expand Collapse

We tried our hand at caretaking for a small, new RV park this summer and thus, enjoy a whole new perspective on several aspects of park management...including dogs. :lol:
    Owners had spent a small fortune on magnificent 9-hole golf course adjacent to the RV park and was understandably intolerant of folks who walked PAST the mown, grassy-field, posted dog-walk area...to the golf course for fido to unload holding tanks 1 and 2. :eek:
    Park lay-out was such that we could nip this in the bud if DOG was leading half-asleep OWNER to those nice, freshly mowned putting greens in the morning...
    Now the coyotes on the back side of the course...good grief they were well fed...! :p

7. millerfamily

millerfamily
    Expand Collapse

I'm at a RV park right now that charges 1.00 a night, and I wound'nt take my dog in the dog run area becuse no one cleans up after their dogs and the park dosn't clean it up, so I went to the office and told them I would not pay for the pet fee whitch is 3o dollars a mounth for us. This park is a nice park on the beach in Southern California. Anyhow we get to stay and my dog is free and I pick up after our dog everywhere we go
    Happy Traveling ;)

8. Oregon Ms

Oregon Ms
    Expand Collapse

One of my favorite campgrounds recently started charging ten dollars per pet. Huh?

I usually camp alone with my dog as my companion. Why don't they start charging ten dollars per husband or something? Those guys use the facilities more than my dog does.

9. abbygolden

abbygolden
    Expand Collapse

If I knew ahead of time that a CG charges for my dogs, I wouldn't go there.

QUOTE(Oregon Ms @ Dec 1 2008, 03:41 AM) [snapback]14246[/snapback]

One of my favorite campgrounds recently started charging ten dollars per pet. Huh?

I usually camp alone with my dog as my companion. Why don't they start charging ten dollars per husband or something? Those guys use the facilities more than my dog does.

I'm confused. Does your dog EVER use the facilities? I know a lot of husbands that don't and I kinda thought maybe dogs used the great outdoors. I could be wrong, though...

10. FosterImposters

FosterImposters
    Expand Collapse

Charging for husbands and dogs...
    Almost lost my coffee laughing at Oregon Ms and AbbyGolden's exchange...too much!

Have to admit 10 bucks for the dog seems high: would love to hear the Park owner's side of this wrinkle. :blink:

11. abbygolden

abbygolden
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(FosterImposters @ Dec 1 2008, 02:56 PM) [snapback]14258[/snapback]

Charging for husbands and dogs...
    Almost lost my coffee laughing at Oregon Ms and AbbyGolden's exchange...too much!

Have to admit 10 bucks for the dog seems high: would love to hear the Park owner's side of this wrinkle. :blink:

Thank you, thank you very much (that's the best Elvis imitatiion I could do via internet!)

12. rodman

rodman
    Expand Collapse

I guess I'm pretty much like everyone else, I would at least like to get something for my money. I would pay extra for my 2 labs as long as they have a decently maintained dog area. We always pick up after our girls, I really in good conscience couldn't leave those huge landmines for someone taking a nice walk in the evening to step in and ruin a good pair of shoes.

Happy Travels,