How Far South

Discussion in 'Destinations and RV Parks' started by pianotuna, Dec 15, 2008.

1. pianotuna

pianotuna
    Expand Collapse

Hi all,

I'm planning a mad dash south from Regina, SK. How far south do I need to go to:

1. Get out of the snow zone
    2. get out of the below freezing zone
    3. get to where minimum daily temperature is no less than 50 F (10 C)

I'd prefer to give mountain roads a miss.

2. westernrvparkowner

westernrvparkowner
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(pianotuna @ Dec 15 2008, 08:18 PM) [snapback]14489[/snapback]

Hi all,

I'm planning a mad dash south from Regina, SK. How far south do I need to go to:

1. Get out of the snow zone
    2. get out of the below freezing zone
    3. get to where minimum daily temperature is no less than 50 F (10 C)

I'd prefer to give mountain roads a miss.

Right now it's snowing in Dallas, Texas so maybe you shouldn't stop to you reach Cabo San Lucas, Mexico :D That being said, Arizona or South Florida would meet your criteria. The gulf coast of Texas is OK, but it can be cold for days in a row. Same with the Gulf coast of Mississippi, Alabama and Louisiana. I prefer Florida, deep south, more the tropical feel, but can be expensive. Anywhere short of the coast or Arizona/Southern California invites snowy days. Drive carefully,

3. Texasrvers

Texasrvers
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

The gulf coast of Texas is OK, but it can be cold for days in a row.

Sorry, but I have to disagree. It really depends on which part of Texas you go to. On the eastern side around Galveston, you might get cold weather to stick around for 3-4 days. It probably won't be freezing that whole time; you may get a freeze at night, but the days will usually warm up to the 50's. Farther south and west down around Corpus Christi and Port Aransas the cold would probably only last 2-3 days and it might have a light freeze. However, if you go all the way to the Texas Valley way down on the southernmost tip of Texas it will be fairly tropical. It rarely freezes and if it gets cold just wait 24 hours and it will be back in the 70's. We are near San Antonio, and yesterday it was 79. Then you Canadians (Don!) left the door open, and all that cold air came down here during the night so today was only in the 40's. We may get a light freeze tonight and then temperatures will go back up about 10 degrees a day so that by Thursday it will be in the high 60's and then in the 80's by Saturday. So if you want great winter weather, come on down to Texas.

4. John Blue

John Blue
    Expand Collapse

Try Key West for nice warm weather year round. Here in Tampa over the weekend we had 75 deg's and tomorrow and rest of this week will run around 78 deg's. Anyplace south of here is warm year round or down right hot in summer months. Pool water is a little to cool to use at this time of year but summer is close by for FL. One more place comes to mind, San Diego. I think that city has the best weather of anyplace we have every been. I saw the weather was -35 deg's in some parts of Canada this week.

5. DXSMac

DXSMac
    Expand Collapse

I know you are in Saskatchewan so the west coast of US is a bit out of your way. Normally, the northern coastal area will stay in the 40's, which is tolerable if you have the cold weather package in your RV. But right now, even where I am at, we are in a deep freeze for a week. Temps will be lows in the 20's and highs will be lucky if it's 30 high. Will get better by Sunday. My Mom is in Eastern WA and it will be MINUS 15 one day this week. Now, I have been in MINUS TWO in an RV before, and survived, but at minus 15, I would get out of town!

If you are leaving right in the near future, as another person said, you may have to go all the way to Mexico! ON the other hand, if you can wait a week, parts of Texas should work.....

JJ

6. pianotuna

pianotuna
    Expand Collapse

Hi JJ,

Well, as you may remember, I've used my RV at -34 F (-37 C), so -15F does not phase me a bit. What does concern me is the raw distances involved. So far I've been using Weather Underground maps to try to figure out the nearest location--but it looks like 3600 miles round trip--and below zero for much of that distance. My RV does get about 12 miles to the gallon and burns diesel, so the costs for fuel will be about 900 smackers.

I'm planning the trip for the last two weeks of January. I wish I could make 600 miles the first day--but that is very unlikely.

Here is a link to the weather underground map:

http://www.wunderground.com/US/Region/US/Temperature.html

Tonight it is -15 F and windchill value is -40. (Warmer than the last two days)

I will be carrying a generator with me--but would prefer shore power especially for the cold weather stops.

One possible destination is Lafayette, Louisiana.

QUOTE(DXSMac @ Dec 16 2008, 12:48 AM) [snapback]14499[/snapback]

I know you are in Saskatchewan so the west coast of US is a bit out of your way. Normally, the northern coastal area will stay in the 40's, which is tolerable if you have the cold weather package in your RV. But right now, even where I am at, we are in a deep freeze for a week. Temps will be lows in the 20's and highs will be lucky if it's 30 high. Will get better by Sunday. My Mom is in Eastern WA and it will be MINUS 15 one day this week. Now, I have been in MINUS TWO in an RV before, and survived, but at minus 15, I would get out of town!

If you are leaving right in the near future, as another person said, you may have to go all the way to Mexico! ON the other hand, if you can wait a week, parts of Texas should work.....

JJ

7. Florida Native

Florida Native
    Expand Collapse

Never reaching any of those factors will put you a lots further South than not normally reaching those factors. Even in North Central Florida, you stand a chance of freezing temps for a few hours, but they are not going to be doing any damage to your coach and you will enjoy yourself. The jury is still our of the number of snowbirds coming to Florida this year with the economy problems and the former gas prices. You could always consider coming and looking around for a spot once you get here. I don't see that as a problem this year and you can always move around a little. I'd start out in Northern Florida and work your way south.

8. John Blue

John Blue
    Expand Collapse

Don,

In Lafayette you have a couple places. Acadiana Park Campground a city park with 50 amps and water only. You can get in on week days only. Cajun people will take over on weekends, no space. In Scott you have the KOA next to I-10 noise 24/7. In Breaux Bridge you have Pocche's Fish-N-Camp. In St.Martinville you have Catfish Heaven Aquafarm & Campground. In Abbeville you have Betty's RV Park (small and nice). We have been to everyplace in and around Lafayette. The Cajun food is some of the best in USA. If you can speak the French language everyone will love you. Look up Prejean's restaurant in Lafayette and Mulates in Breaux Bridge. You will see lots of people from Canada down in south LA.

9. Lee and Fran

Lee and Fran
    Expand Collapse

I froze to death last winter in Baton Rouge, Louisiana. They call freezing rain and icy roads warm. I am in Arizona this year and although its running in the 50's right now I am not running my furnace 24 hours a day like I did in Louisiana. Heard parts of southern Texas did not fair much better last winter but than winters have been weird all over. Such as snow in Mexico last year and the year before and people say they were cold as heck in Arizona last year as well.

10. DXSMac

DXSMac
    Expand Collapse

Lee, if you froze to DEATH then who in the heck is using your ID to make these posts on this forum from you? A ghost? :p :p :p

QUOTE(Lee and Fran @ Dec 16 2008, 01:15 PM) [snapback]14505[/snapback]

I froze to death last winter in Baton Rouge, Louisiana. They call freezing rain and icy roads warm. I am in Arizona this year and although its running in the 50's right now I am not running my furnace 24 hours a day like I did in Louisiana. Heard parts of southern Texas did not fair much better last winter but than winters have been weird all over. Such as snow in Mexico last year and the year before and people say they were cold as heck in Arizona last year as well.

11. Parkview

Parkview
    Expand Collapse

:D

Hi Pianotuna,

We would love to have you here in the Texas Hill Country. As Texasrvers said, we have occassional cool nights, but generally back to the 60s or 70s in the daytime. Our website has the average high temperatures and average rainfall amounts for all of the winter months. We are 300 miles closer to you than the Rio Grande Valley, and I think we have a much prettier location. Take a virtual tour and slide show @ www.ParkviewRiversideRV.com.

Forgive me Webmaster!

12. RLM

RLM
    Expand Collapse

Texas seems the obvious choice given your criteria of distance and no mountain driving. From SK straight down the heartland of the US. Mostly flat driving. You'll need to get at least to the central TX area for constant 50F + temps. A bit farther south to the Hill Country or San Antonio area would be even better. It's over 600 miles from the northern border of TX to the southern tip. That may help with the decision on how far south to go.

13. Texasrvers

Texasrvers
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

Well, I bragged on Texas weather, and now it's not cooperating. We do have a bit of a cold spell right now--colder than predicted anyway. We are only in the 50's but it is overcast and misty which makes it feel colder. However, they are still saying it will be in the 70's by Saturday. We did get a little sleet in San Antonio recently. That is unusual for this time of year. That usually happens in Jan or Feb if we get any at all. Our last big snow was in Jan 1985 (I think). We got 13 inches, although Corpus Christi got a few inches just a few years back. It was melted in two days though because the temperature was back up in the 70's.

RLM is right about the straight shot down through the heartland/plains states--it's really flat. In Texas get on Highway 281 if you can. That is a good road (though not interstate) and it will take you right down to the hill country and even on down to the Valley. From the Texas border it is about 350 miles to San Antonio which sits right one the edge of the hill country. Then from SA to the Valley it another 240 mi. (Hwy 281 actually goes all the way up to Canada, but I don't know how good it is. Look for it just south of Cartwright, Manitoba.)

The hill country gets of lot of Winter Texans. It's mild climate is very attractive, and there's lots to do in the area. It tends to be just a bit cooler than the coast or the Valley. It may get a few more freezes and maybe some sleet or snow, but as we've all said--just wait 24 hours, and it will be in the 70's again.

Have we convinced you yet? Let me know if you want more info.

14. pianotuna

pianotuna
    Expand Collapse

Hi all,

My plans are to go cross country to Omaha and then straight south. If I get lucky I'll be out of snow sometime on day 2 of the trip. I-29 is a reliable road. 281 does exist way up in North Dakota--and would be a more interesting route--but until I'm sure I can get snow free conditions I may stick on the interstates.

I came across another quite useful map at weather underground. This one is for snow depth!

http://www.wunderground.com/US/Region/US/SnowDepth.html

Parkview Thanks for the invite! It would be great to meet you.

15. Texasrvers

Texasrvers
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

Don,

After you get to Omaha there are lots of ways to continue on south. If you really want to come to Texas here's how I'd go.

I-29 to Kansas City, I-35 to Oklahoma City, I-44 to Witchita Falls (TX), Hwy 281 to the Texas hill country, San Antonio, or the Texas valley.

When you get on I-35 you can also take it to the hill country, SA or the valley, but 281 is prettier and more interesting. It all depends on how you like to travel. I-35 is a busy interstate with lots of 18 wheeler traffic, but it gets you there without any stoplights, and there's plenty of services along the access roads. Hwy 281 is an undivided 2 (or sometimes 4) lane road that goes through many small towns with local sights and "color" and great cafes. It is a good road, but far more leisurely.

Either of these routes will make you zig zag a bit, but not too badly. I looked for a north/south road a little farther to the west than I-29, but there doesn't seem to be one. And that far north it is probably better to stay on the interstates.

Just travel safe and look forward to a good time.

16. DXSMac

DXSMac
    Expand Collapse

I found a crude web site that has a collection of all the webcams for all 50 states. This way, you can pick the state you are traveling through and see if road conditions are ok for travel. Just be strong and don't click on Hawaii during the winter months, doing so will just upset you. :( :(

WebCamLocator for All 50 states

JJ

17. pianotuna

pianotuna
    Expand Collapse

Hi Tx,

Highway 83 is fairly straight--but unfortunately goes through fairly mountainous areas in South Dakota. It's two lanes all the way to Texas. That's why I chose Omaha to "jump off" from.

JJ. Thanks for the web cam site.

QUOTE(Texasrvers @ Dec 19 2008, 02:37 PM) [snapback]14561[/snapback]

Don,

Either of these routes will make you zig zag a bit, but not too badly. I looked for a north/south road a little farther to the west than I-29, but there doesn't seem to be one. And that far north it is probably better to stay on the interstates.

Just travel safe and look forward to a good time.

18. pianotuna

pianotuna
    Expand Collapse

Hi all,

I found a toll free number that allows one to check highway conditions in the mid north.

(866) 697-3511

It is part of the 511 system that is used for cell phones--but allows one more flexibility in selecting the state one wants the information on. It covers North Dakota, South Dakota, Nebraska, Montana, Wyoming, and Minnesota.

19. Texasrvers

Texasrvers
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

Don,

I should have thought of Hwy 83. We used it just this past fall to go to South Dakota. However, we jumped off at North Platte, NE, because we wanted to see Scott's Bluff so I can't speak for it north of there. South of there was flat, flat, and flat. It is 2 lane, but I don't remember any really bad areas. This info is just in case you change your mind or have to detour for some reason. Again, be safe.

20. Parkview

Parkview
    Expand Collapse

Hi Don,

I like US 83. It passes 1 1/2 miles from a very pretty park. Guess which one. :D

Thanks,

Doug