Use Of Oven While On The Road

Discussion in 'General Community Discussions' started by Bud in Florida, May 2, 2009.

1. Bud in Florida

Bud in Florida
    Expand Collapse

I seem to remember years ago using the oven in my RV while I was traveling, thus having a nice meal ready when I got to the campground. Anyone else ever do this or hear that you were not suppose to use your oven while driving? Thanks

2. Texasrvers

Texasrvers
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

We don't have an oven--at least not the propane type I think you are talking about. We just have a microwave that is also a convection oven. Our last MH had an oven. We used it for storage. Guess that gives you an idea about our cooking habits. But to specifically answer your question, no, we have never cooked while driving down the road, and I don't know of anyone who has. I don't know about the safety issues involved with this, but it sure would be nice to have dinner ready as soon as you arrive at the campground.

3. John Blue

John Blue
    Expand Collapse

Bud,

No gas oven in our unit but we cook in a crock pot as we drive down the road and dinner is ready as soon as we stop for the day. We also use the microwave range the same way but only on the heat cycle, microwave side is to fast.

4. Texasrvers

Texasrvers
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

Now John, we all get our fingers jumbled up from time to time so I'm no trying to be rude, but I just gotta ask what a cock pot is. Is that a new kitchen appliance that I have not heard of???? :p :lol:

5. Bud in Florida

Bud in Florida
    Expand Collapse

John-- I was going to ask the same question that Texas asked. Seriously,I have never thought about using a crock pot-- do you use an inverter or run your generator?

6. John Blue

John Blue
    Expand Collapse

Bud,

We have a 2000 watt inverter. We also have a 8000 watt generator but use it very little.

I made a cross out of 1x4 wood. This cross sits in sink, it had three small holes in wood for the cock pot legs to set in. Wood was cut down so as it can not move in sink. I added two eye rings one on each side of pot and we use a "bungee cord across the top of lid" to hold it in place. It will not move. If you stop for lunch and need the sink pick it up and set it aside. AC outlet close to sink for power. We have used it for years now. :)

7. pianotuna

pianotuna
    Expand Collapse

Hi,

There are 12 volt crock pots that work very well--they draw between 80 and 300 watts--and are a bit smaller (I see that as a plus).

John, do you happen to have a picture of your "sink adapter"? It sounds as if it is a great idea!

QUOTE(Bud in Florida @ May 3 2009, 10:39 AM) [snapback]16224[/snapback]

John-- I was going to ask the same question that Texas asked. Seriously,I have never thought about using a crock pot-- do you use an inverter or run your generator?

8. John Blue

John Blue
    Expand Collapse

Don,

No photos but I will post some as soon as we come back home in June.

9. Rollin Ollens

Rollin Ollens
    Expand Collapse

We use our a lot and have been for years. Especially when leaving on a Friday after work. We have prepared Cabbage Rolls, Lasagna, Meat Pies, Fish & Chips and more. Obviously, we package this type of meal in an aluminium pan covered with foil. We poke small holes in the foil to make sure pressure does not build up (depending on what type of meal we are heating). We have been fortunate in that there has never been a mess in the oven from traveling over rough roads.

I'm not sure I would be comfortable using an oven in a towed trailer as it would have to be unattended but in our Motor Home I have never had a problem.

10. GypsyZera

GypsyZera
    Expand Collapse

I am curious about all of this for many reasons

For starters, we are in an RV, things can be "supervised" while in transit... I don't think I would allow anything to be "on" in a Travel Trailer or 5th while in transit simply because you aren't there to keep an eye on things.............................

I have heard Yes, you can leave your propane on & use oven/fridge/heat, etc... while driving down the road... and I have also heard HORROR Stories that give cause to believe NO, you should turn off the Propane at the tank.... so, I wonder if anyone has input on this... of course, to use a propane oven while in transit, then you would have to have propane not turned off at the tank..... Thoughts?

Second, Crock Pot... is that a 12v plug that you happen to have close to your sink?
    If so, I might try to figure out how to wire one close to the kitchen area as that seems like a reasonably safe option

But, if you had to plug your crockpot into a regular plug, wouldn't you then have to run your generator? Isn't that dangerous while in transit to have your generator running?

One of the reasons that I ask this is out of concern for need to have A/C while in transit during hot summer heat.... If it is okay to run the generator while in transit, then simply use that to run "house" a/c.... Suggestions? Thoughts?

Any insight is appreciated

Gypsy
    (Zera is the name of our Rig)

11. Trentheim

Trentheim
    Expand Collapse

I've been told that you can run the generator while in transit with no problem. You do run out of fuel a lot faster, but you can run the AC and/or the microwave while on the road.

As to propane, I've run it to refrigerate while moving. Never had a problem. I imagine that if someone slams into the side of my RV while I'm driving, I'm going to have a propane issue anyway, so keeping my food fresh works. Besides, the fridge was designed to use propane with transit in mind.

I think I would have more problem with a crock pot if the lid weren't secured tightly. Every crock pot I've seen has a loose fitting lid that would fly off even around a gentle turn. I imagine that someone has found one or designed one to lock on by now, though.

J

12. HappiestCamper

HappiestCamper
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(Trentheim @ Jun 7 2009, 09:42 PM) [snapback]16864[/snapback]

I think I would have more problem with a crock pot if the lid weren't secured tightly. Every crock pot I've seen has a loose fitting lid that would fly off even around a gentle turn. I imagine that someone has found one or designed one to lock on by now, though.

J

I don't think you want to lock it too tight - it needs to vent. I think someone here said they put their's in the sink while traveling.

13. abbygolden

abbygolden
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(GypsyZera @ Jun 7 2009, 02:52 PM) [snapback]16859[/snapback]

I am curious about all of this for many reasons

For starters, we are in an RV, things can be "supervised" while in transit... I don't think I would allow anything to be "on" in a Travel Trailer or 5th while in transit simply because you aren't there to keep an eye on things.............................

I have heard Yes, you can leave your propane on & use oven/fridge/heat, etc... while driving down the road... and I have also heard HORROR Stories that give cause to believe NO, you should turn off the Propane at the tank.... so, I wonder if anyone has input on this... of course, to use a propane oven while in transit, then you would have to have propane not turned off at the tank..... Thoughts?

Second, Crock Pot... is that a 12v plug that you happen to have close to your sink?
    If so, I might try to figure out how to wire one close to the kitchen area as that seems like a reasonably safe option

But, if you had to plug your crockpot into a regular plug, wouldn't you then have to run your generator? Isn't that dangerous while in transit to have your generator running?

One of the reasons that I ask this is out of concern for need to have A/C while in transit during hot summer heat.... If it is okay to run the generator while in transit, then simply use that to run "house" a/c.... Suggestions? Thoughts?

Any insight is appreciated

Gypsy
    (Zera is the name of our Rig)

I see you are new to the Forum, so welcome.

There is NO problem to having your generator run while on the road. The same holds true for propane (as long as you cut it off prior to entering some tunnels and gassing up). If your generator is on, naturally you will also be able to use a crock pot or microwave, or whatever.

14. rangiebob

rangiebob
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(GypsyZera @ Jun 7 2009, 03:52 PM) [snapback]16859[/snapback]

We always run our Onan generator when traveling in hot weather. Recently we had a weird problem with our generator and spent time at Cummins Power/Onan in Atlanta while they diagnosed and fixed it. They told us that our generator is made to run like we do as long as we keep the oil changed regularly.

15. FosterImposters

FosterImposters
    Expand Collapse

We too use the generator while on the road in hot weather: powers the coach-air conditioners and refrigerator. After a long, hot day on the road, the better half prefers a cold brew over a hot dinner, so I've adapted. Like rangiebob, I learned to 'use it or loose it' regarding the generator!

In cooler temps, I prefer to run quiet (aka no generator/no propane) which precludes those great sounding crock-pot dinners when we've pulled into a spot for the evening. Been doing this traveling thang for a while now...so have some tried/true stove-top meals for the overnight stopovers.

I AM, however, loving the idea of a crockpot stewing away in the sink cavity...hmmm. B)

16. Florida Native

Florida Native
    Expand Collapse

We use the crock pot (inverter) thing, but lately our oven has been broken for lunch and supper. Seems to work OK for breakfast, by my wife swears it is broken at the times we used to use it.

17. FosterImposters

FosterImposters
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(Lindsay Richards @ Jul 28 2009, 08:45 AM) [snapback]17807[/snapback]

... but lately our oven has been broken for lunch and supper...

:lol:
    I LOVE it!
    Admit our 'oven' is used for storing the crock pot roughly 90% of the time. Never had a convection/microwave oven til we bought this RV. What a great device.
    That said, am glad this rig also had a propane driven oven as standard equipment. Enjoy constructing a home-made pizza without running a generator on cool boondocking evenings.
    Cold beer and pizza anyone?
    Cheers!

18. Texasrvers

Texasrvers
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

Ovens. Do RV's come with ovens??? :lol: Ours didn't. Just as well. We would just use it for storage, not cooking.

19. pianotuna

pianotuna
    Expand Collapse

Hi TX,

Of course the oven is for storage. But--nothing beats cooking a roast in a gas oven! The meat is tender and moist--because when propane burns a lot of water is released. Try it! You'll love it.

QUOTE(Texasrvers @ Jul 28 2009, 01:05 PM) [snapback]17812[/snapback]

Ovens. Do RV's come with ovens??? :lol: Ours didn't. Just as well. We would just use it for storage, not cooking.

20. mtnmanky

mtnmanky
    Expand Collapse

Every man out there knows what an oven is for...it's the safest, heat resistant place to keep important papers...closest thing to a fire-proof safe in any home, stick or otherwise!
    :lol: :rolleyes: