Little Glitch In The Kentucky Plans....

Discussion in 'General Community Discussions' started by DXSMac, May 18, 2009.

1. DXSMac

DXSMac
    Expand Collapse

I'm camp hosting at a State Park in Washington. This is my first time, the staff is wonderful here!

Well, the park is short 1 paid position, they had a person who transferred to another park. The park ranger is pressing me to take the paid position. I explained I had committed to going to Kentucky for the summer.

Before I get the "DUH NO BRAINER" replies, this isn't about money. I WANT TO GO TO KENTUCKY!!!!

The ranger said he would try one more week to recruit someone, and if he doesn't get anyone, he will ask me again. I'm not supposed to show up in Kentucky until July 5, so plenty of time to notify the Kentucky folks. BUT I WANT TO GO TO KENTUCKY!!!!!

JJ

2. Texasrvers

Texasrvers
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

Duh, no brainer. :) Life is short. Do what you want to do while you have the chance. Go to KY.

3. KentuckyCampin

KentuckyCampin
    Expand Collapse

Well
    I think I would be heading here to KY!! Life is too short anyways, so I would be KY bound! :p
    But I am a little biased, living here in KY already..... B)

4. pianotuna

pianotuna
    Expand Collapse

Hi JJ,

I vote for Kentucky too! A person is a long time dead. And I have heard the RV's just don't run well when they are six feet under.

5. HappiestCamper

HappiestCamper
    Expand Collapse

6. Florida Native

Florida Native
    Expand Collapse

I vote for doing what you want and that sounds like KY to me. You can always work, but at this stage, enjoying yourself is number one.

7. DXSMac

DXSMac
    Expand Collapse

The ranger sat down with me today and told me what the "paid" work would involve. He had me until he mentioned the "40 hours" part. Even though it would be a temporary, 3 month job, the bells and whistles went off in my head at "40 hours."

I'm still waffling, but leaning toward "Kentucky!!!"

JJ

8. Lee and Fran

Lee and Fran
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(DXSMac @ May 19 2009, 06:13 PM) [snapback]16478[/snapback]

The ranger sat down with me today and told me what the "paid" work would involve. He had me until he mentioned the "40 hours" part. Even though it would be a temporary, 3 month job, the bells and whistles went off in my head at "40 hours."

I'm still waffling, but leaning toward "Kentucky!!!"

JJ

Hey lady if you dont go to Kentuck I will personally come up there and kick your butt. LOL I post in our yahoo to check into the work part and you can bet that the 40 hours may become longer and may be stressfull as well. Been there done that.

9. DXSMac

DXSMac
    Expand Collapse

Ranger told me he would keep recruiting, but gave me a week to decide. The crew is great, they are really fun people! The people here just love working for this Ranger. That's a plus in the "take the paid job" position.

JJ

10. HappiestCamper

HappiestCamper
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(DXSMac @ May 21 2009, 06:26 PM) [snapback]16513[/snapback]

Ranger told me he would keep recruiting, but gave me a week to decide. The crew is great, they are really fun people! The people here just love working for this Ranger. That's a plus in the "take the paid job" position.

JJ

Trust your instinct, do what you think you should do.

11. FosterImposters

FosterImposters
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(DXSMac @ May 21 2009, 03:26 PM) [snapback]16513[/snapback]

...people here just love working for this Ranger...

JJ: How long will your Kentucky adventure take ? Month or two ?
    Perhaps Ranger Rick can sweet-talk another to fill the slot until you return ?

Which Washington State park are we talking about ?
    B)

12. DXSMac

DXSMac
    Expand Collapse

Kentucky, I'm supposed to show up July 5 (but planning to leave June 20 to allow time to get there). I'm supposed to stay until day after Labor Day. I imagine it would take me two weeks to get back home.

"ranger rick" (actually, it's Ranger Jim) at Wanapum State Park in Vantage says the job would start in June and end on Labor Day. Just a summer job, but would be available to me every year.

Made a list of plusses and minuses.

Both are going to be HOT.

Wanapum will be hot and WINDY (I've been here almost two weeks and survived four wind storms of 40mph + winds already!)

Kentucky will be HUMID, and my spot will have NO SHADE!

Crew at Wanapum is really fun, but also heard from Workamper.com folks that have worked at the Fish Hatchery in Kentucky, that it is also fun!

Also, staying at Wanapum, I would have to work 40 hours a week for three months. Well, the Camp Hosting spot is pretty easy, just do a few minor things for about 4 hours a day, but I end up exhausted from all the walking around. Makes me wonder if I can handle a 40 hour week after being "retired" (I'm a retired Federal Employee, except for doing some sub teaching) for almost four years. The Kentucky volunteer spot would be 3 on, 3 off, or something like that.

I told both Kentucky and "Ranger Rick" that I would give them a decision on Monday. Kentucky emailed me and said they have a "backup" available if I don't make it out there, that's good.

I think I'm going to toss a coin. :unsure: :unsure: :unsure:

JJ

13. Cheryl

Cheryl
    Expand Collapse

JJ
    Look at your first post again. You will get your answer there.
    I WANT TO GO TO KENTUCKY!!!!

You wrote this twice.

14. HappiestCamper

HappiestCamper
    Expand Collapse

JJ, didn't you say one (or more) times that you wanted to visit the Flight 93 memorial in PA (or was that somebody else that said that)? You're not going to make it there staying in Washington.

Remember the movie "Support Your Local Sheriff"? James Garner's character was always on the way to Australia, but never made it.

15. DXSMac

DXSMac
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(HappiestCamper @ May 24 2009, 06:38 AM) [snapback]16554[/snapback]

JJ, didn't you say one (or more) times that you wanted to visit the Flight 93 memorial in PA (or was that somebody else that said that)? You're not going to make it there staying in Washington.

Yep, that was me. I still want to see Flight 93 Memorial. It's 550 miles from the Kentucky spot.

I will tell the parties tomorrow, but I think "Divine Guidance" came in the form of a 5th wind storm last night. Didn't see that coming.

JJ

16. Texasrvers

Texasrvers
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

Sorry, but I'm not following your divine guidance comment. How did a wind storm help you make up your mind?

17. DXSMac

DXSMac
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(Texasrvers @ May 24 2009, 10:38 AM) [snapback]16570[/snapback]

Sorry, but I'm not following your divine guidance comment. How did a wind storm help you make up your mind?

I HATE being in the wind in my RV! I've been in the wind in my RV many times in many different places, but I still absolutely hate it!

I've been at this place 9 days and have endured 5 wind storms, 40 mph!

JJ

18. DXSMac

DXSMac
    Expand Collapse

Ok, I decided......

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    And what I decided was....
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    TO GO GO KENTUCKY!!!!!!! It was a real hard decision, to turn down an offer for a paid job. But I feel that if I don't go to Kentucky this year, I'm never going to do it! I will leave June 20, I'm supposed to arrive July 5 and stay through Labor Day. Once I get to Kentucky, I will be contacting BBear to ask "ok, how do I get in to Flight 93 Memorial thingie again????" I'm hoping really bad to sneak over to that.

JJ

19. Lee and Fran

Lee and Fran
    Expand Collapse

JJ, which route you taking to Kaintuck? You crossing the upper states or going south?

20. DXSMac

DXSMac
    Expand Collapse

I would like to take the northern route, through Montana, drop down to South Dakota, Nebraska, etc. and drop down to Kentucky.

After Albuquerque scared the **** out of me (because of a sign that said, "Albuquerque, next 17 exits....."), I have decided that any city with more than 3 exits will be AVOIDED at all costs.

Will I be able to catch up to you in your "new" South Dakota "address?"

JJ