Parking Overnite In A Travel Plaza

Discussion in 'General Community Discussions' started by sandi & vince, May 23, 2009.

1. sandi & vince

sandi & vince
    Expand Collapse

My husband and I are traveling from the East coast to California and then back via Historic Route 66. We've spent several nights in travel plazas, but have felt a little "unwanted" by the truckers :( .

Has anyone else ever experienced this? I don't understand what the difference in our status is, except that truckers probably spend more money in the plazas than we do. Comments?

2. John Blue

John Blue
    Expand Collapse

You will find this from time to time. Some truck drivers do not like RV equipment anyplace and others drivers are RV people. The Flying-J has places for RV's to park and other do not. Only problem is the noise off all the diesel engines in parking lot running all the time. Some truck stopped will block you from truck side but ones that do this may have a RV side to park in. No two places are the same anyplace we go.

At one Flying-J truck diesel fuel pit in west a driver told me I was in his fuel pit and I should get out. I told him what he could do with my fuel hose and he walked off. I could see five open pits at that time.

3. westernrvparkowner

westernrvparkowner
    Expand Collapse

Truck stops are kind of trucker territory. It is human nature. Wouldn't you feel a little put out if you were staying in an RV resort and the park parked an 18 wheeler on each side of you? The truck driving community is just that, a community, and RVs are an intrusion. You are kind of camping out in their work space. They know you do not want to be there, are on vacation and not working and are just taking advantage of the convenience. If someone came into your office and played video games all day (you are working, they are playing) Eventually, you would feel a little upset since you would feel the office is for work, not for play. It has nothing to do with spending money (unless you are overstaying your time in a fill pit, at which time the trucker behind you is losing money, the less time they spend filling etc. leaves more time to cover miles and hence make money).

4. drmcleod

drmcleod
    Expand Collapse

Driving on an Ohio Turnpike recently, I noticed at their rest area/fuel stops that they have an area for RV parking. In that area they have hookup's! Water, electric and even a dump station! The parking was free but to use the hook up's was only about $15! They were very nice and separate from the truck parking.

5. Florida Native

Florida Native
    Expand Collapse

If you have a CB, you will also hear some comments about RVs also. Don't take it personal, many of us drive slower that they do and I guess they get tired of passing and merging us. Many truckers are using Wal-Mart now and running their engines also. I don't appreciate that so I guess it evens out.

6. RLM

RLM
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(westernrvparkowner @ May 24 2009, 08:48 AM) [snapback]16566[/snapback]

Truck stops are kind of trucker territory.

Very well said Western. No disrepect intended to sandi & vince, but a travel plaza/truck stop would be the last place I would want to boon dock.

7. rangiebob

rangiebob
    Expand Collapse

We live full-time in our motor home and travel around the country for our business. Although they are not our first choice, we have stayed in travel plazas many times over the years and have always been glad that they were here due to weather and long trips where we needed to stop and rest. We try to park as far away from the trucks as possible, but sometimes there is no other available space other than to be near them. My husband used to be an over-the-road truck driver and understands that, in general, they do not tolerate those driving an RV. :blink: However, when we are driving on the highways he spends a lot of time talking on the CB to the truckers so that when we get to a Flying J, our travel plaza of choice, many times they recognize him and we've never had any problems.

8. texas22

texas22
    Expand Collapse

I read through about 6 of these and the hole time I was thinking should we even care...really. I have never had a prblem with a trucker at a stop nor would I accept a jack-&$@ telling me I'm in his spot (show where your name is on this slip). We have the same right and are all in the USA so guess what, I have to put up with your slow rig u get to put up with mine. I have noticed though about 40 percent will flash when u are clear (more in the south than north) I guess the others are RV haters. lol

9. gilda

gilda
    Expand Collapse

deleted

10. abbygolden

abbygolden
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(gilda @ Jul 20 2009, 09:16 AM) [snapback]17613[/snapback]

Why not just avoid this whole problem, plan ahead and stay in a campground?? :blink:

Once again, I agree 100%.

11. BBear

BBear
    Expand Collapse

I've never stayed in a truck plaza overnight, but on occasion stayed overnight at rest stops and had to park with the truckers and never really had a problem except for a few making some inappropriate propositioning, if you know what I mean, I usually just laughed it off and said no thank you and for some I'd look down at their wedding rings and exclaim, what a beautiful ring, is it a matching set? And, they'd walk away, LOL!!!

The one who mentioned the Ohio service plaza campgrounds, we utilized those once in the middle of a huge rainstorm....was really nice not to have to park with the truckers, LOL!!!

12. John S.

John S.
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(gilda @ Jul 20 2009, 07:16 AM) [snapback]17613[/snapback]

Why not just avoid this whole problem, plan ahead and stay in a campground?? :blink:

I do plan ahead. I plan somedays to cover 900 miles so I can enjoy the rest of my time off in a campground. So I get up and drive like it is a work day. I will start out at 5am. Now that is 4 am in the midwest 3 am in the rocky mountain time an d2 am in the western timezone. Though I have moved that back to 3 am local when I start for home. I can cross the country in 4 days and see family when I get there. I guess I do not want ot drive down a small road look for overhead branches and trees and then disconnect and back into a site at 10 pm and then start all over again 8 hours later. Heck I now pull between 9 and 10 pm shut down have few mins to walk the dogs and then get to bed. I get up and hit the shower and walk the pups and pull out. No worries and I am right on the interstate.

Now to answer the question. I have no problem staying in a travel plaza or truck stop. I am 42 foot with a tow so I am as big as teh trucks and most of them realize that. When fueling up most of the guys will talk to me especially when they see my fuel tank. I get how much does that hold and what kind of milage do you get. I say 200 gallons and about 7 mpg depending on my speed.

I have travelled hundreds of miles with a group of trucks at times. The truck stop will sell me as much fuel as the trucks take for the most part.

It is a matter of choice. I would not stay in with the trucks in my born free. It is much noisier but the FOretravel is perfectly fine.

13. JackHammr'

JackHammr'
    Expand Collapse

First off , let me say I am a trucker ..

Second , I am not offended or cranked up over your comments ..

For the most part , you pick up a load at point a and have to be at point b at a certain time , so you have a schedule of sorts .. So you ride all day and after dark , you are ready to shut down , you pull into a travel plaza , and here's some macaroons in RV's on vacation , taking up slots for trucks ...

The trucking industry has changed , the days of people looking up to truckers , is long past , and the truckers have no one to blame but themselves .. But it goes further than the profession , it's the generations changing ..

I'm in early 50's and retired Navy , and was probably on the tail end of the last of the kids that were brought up being taught respect etc etc etc ..

Theres a lot of idiots out there driving four wheelers , RV's and big trucks ..

I wouldnt lose any sleep over it ..

It's the way it is and people are in the 21st century in this country ..

14. FosterImposters

FosterImposters
    Expand Collapse

Hello JackHammr and welcome aboard!
    We too are 50's and 60's and recognize that same generation shift: manners, respect, code-of-honor stuff that apparently not enough of us passed onto our kids.

Always a gift when ANYONE on the road of life, blinks to let you know you've safely passed, or defers a prime truck slot to a smaller, out-of-the-way space in rest-areas. We enjoy a bit more wiggle-room with a 32' RV, so prefer to 'hide' out of harms way.

"Theres a lot of idiots out there driving four wheelers, RV's and big trucks..."

Good thing with this: they're predictable! :lol:
    Keep talking with us. Enjoy the perspective and the company!
    Cheers!

15. Texasrvers

Texasrvers
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

QUOTE(FosterImposters @ Jul 28 2009, 08:29 PM) [snapback]17824[/snapback]

Always a gift when ANYONE on the road of life, blinks to let you know you've safely passed, or defers a prime truck slot to a smaller, out-of-the-way space in rest-areas. We enjoy a bit more wiggle-room with a 32' RV, so prefer to 'hide' out of harms way.

Gotta comment here. I agree that if you are a smaller RV it is nice to take smaller spots in rest areas and leave the large ones for large vehicles. Our problem is that we drive a 37' coach with toad so we almost have to go into a "truck" slot in order to have enough room to park. Also our experience has been that most rest stops direct trucks AND RV's to the same parking area. So even if we wanted to be nice and leave the big slots for trucks, we have no choice about where to park. I also feel that state rest areas are for everyone no matter what you drive--cars, 18-wheelers, or RV's. Therefore, I do not feel bad about taking a big spot in these areas.

Now truck travel plazas are a little different story. We do feel that they are for truckers, just as campgrounds are for RVers. We would not park over night in one. However, I would park temporarily in a truck slot if I needed to run into the store to buy something. Again because of our size we just would not fit in the car parking lot. I hope truckers do not look at this quick stop as an intrusion on their space.

Finally we always blink our lights when a large vehicle (but not usually cars) has passed us. Only about a fourth of those vehicles flash back a thank you. Just as rarely do we get a blink when we have passed another vehicle. Guess this is a dying courtesy.

16. rangiebob

rangiebob
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(gilda @ Jul 20 2009, 10:16 AM) [snapback]17613[/snapback]

This wouldn't work for us. Because we travel the country for our work this isn't always feasible. Sometimes to get from Point A to Point B includes long stretches of driving and after many miles, our need to rest for a while and to fill up on diesel becomes important, and a truck plaza is the only place around.

17. JackHammr'

JackHammr'
    Expand Collapse

Many truckers these days , if they dont blink their lites just holler on the radio "blink blink" or "you got it" or something along those lines ..

Also many newer tractors have DRL's , so the days of completely turning off your headlamps and back on are numbered ..

But ya can still flash the lamps ..

Seems more and more just dont care about the little courtesy moves like that ..

18. Texasrvers

Texasrvers
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

Seems more and more just dont care about the little courtesy moves like that ..

And it's not just the truckers. Cars and RVs don't do it either.

19. rangiebob

rangiebob
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(Texasrvers @ Jul 29 2009, 08:53 PM) [snapback]17875[/snapback]

And it's not just the truckers. Cars and RVs don't do it either.

We do! We do! :D

20. danel-ksc

danel-ksc
    Expand Collapse

I have a rather simple approach, first I recognize I'm burning fuel and hours for enjoyment, for these drivers, miles and time is what pays the bills. Their layovers usually planned and required by law, so in any true truck stop they have a need, I have a desire.
    Second, on the road I not only use my lights but I also use my CB as they do, safety and information. When I see a truck coming up I let him know my speed and then let him know when he is past the RV. I also let them know when I am going to pass them and ask if I'm clear to come back over. These drivers are pros and should be treated as such.
    Finally, if for whatever reason we have to layover at truck stop, I get on the CB and ask if there is room in the lot for a tired RV'r, usually I have several drivers tell me to come around and they show me where I should park for their sake and mine.
    Simple respect for a driver trying to make a living for his family!