Stopover Help On Way To Dc From Illinois Please

Discussion in 'Destinations and RV Parks' started by Britmom, May 29, 2009.

1. Britmom

Britmom
    Expand Collapse

I am hoping someone can help us find a decent place to stopover night on our trip from the middle of Illinois to Washington DC. We were hoping to do 75% of the journey on the first day, meaning that we would be looking to stop on the I70 in eastern Ohio or I79 S toward Morgantown. Any suggestions?

Many thanks

2. CDB

CDB
    Expand Collapse

Check the reviews for parks around Cambridge, OH. That is roughly halfway between Columus, OH and the WV border.

I haven't stayed at any of the places listed but have researched them for a future trip. Looks like there is a private campground just off the highway for convenience, and then there are a few state parks near there that could give you more peaceful surroundings, probably at a lower price, if you are willing to go a few miles from I-70.

Christopher

3. Britmom

Britmom
    Expand Collapse

Thanks Christopher. I have looked at the Spring Valley Campground, Cambridge and that looks good, plus good reviews on here. In fact, I think I will have a hard time getting our children away from it! I was hoping to go a bit further on the first day of our journey but haven't had any luck finding suitable campsites further on our route.

4. Trentheim

Trentheim
    Expand Collapse

If you're going to get all the way to Morgantown, I'm assuming that you'll be taking I-68 into DC. If this is the case, try Coopers Rock State Park (304 594-1561). I *think* it handles RVs, but if it doesn't there is another campground a couple of miles from there that does (and the Rangers at Coopers Rock will let you know). [Edit: Other place is Chestnut Ridge Park. Water, electric, no sewer, (304) 594-1773. Possible dump site there, if not possible one at MD welcome center a few miles down the road.]

If you stay on I-70, I'd look for CGs in or near Washington, PA, but aside from driving through there occassionally in a car, I've got little recall of RV facilities there.

5. Britmom

Britmom
    Expand Collapse

Thanks Trentheim for the suggestions - I will look into them.