Do You Follow "all" The Campgrounds Rules?

Discussion in 'Destinations and RV Parks' started by moqui51, Jun 26, 2009.

1. moqui51

moqui51
    Expand Collapse

We have been in campgrounds for over 25 years and I would have to say that I have rarely been in a campground where the campers follow all the rules.

We were in a wonderful camp two weeks ago that had a non-smoking rule in all buildings. And it was told to you when you checked in...not just on the rules hand out. Yet, as I was checking in, two people came in and complained about people smoking in the bathrooms and laundry room.

In a COE park, there was a dog running loose. I have seen people not clean up after their pets.

I see dogs on 20 ft leashes when the rules say a 6 ft leash. Or they leave them barking in the rig all day.

I see people hanging out clothes when the rules say not to.

I have even seen a man going to the bathroom by the side of his campsite! And this one I reported to the office, as we were going to check in to this park. It was either a COE or state park too. We did not stay here.

I see kids in areas without adults and the rules require supervison. (This might be more in military campgrounds...not sure)

There are usually rules about quiet times...do you obey them?

Do you start your laundry then just go off for half the day and leave it in the washer...or dryer?

Do you make a mess in the bathroom or laundry and just leave it?

Do you cut across other campsites? Some places do have rules about that.

Do you park your car on the grass when it says not to? Do you keep your tow vehicle in your own spot, not halfway into the next site?

Do you think about the person next door and try to realize how close we are and not park your vehicle in a way that restricts them from getting out when they are leaving?

I will admit to playing fast and loose with the hanging out clothes...if it says no, I don't, but if they don't mention it in the rules, I just don't ask, but usually will only hang out 1 item...not a clothesline full, and try to be discreet about where it hangs. My husband on the other hand will play fast and loose with the washing of the rig. If it doesn't say no, he usually didn't ask.

But, we are both trying to be more respectful about these things and ask first. I put a hook in my shower and now hang my items in there and they get dry just fine. He seems to always ask about rig washing now, and has paid to wash it in 2 campgrounds. He started washing the rig before 8 am this morning and before he did I asked him if he checked the quiet hours? He did and it was 7:30 so he was safe. :)

There are several places we have been to or read about that have rules that seem unreasonable and we just won't go to these places.

If you aren't sure that something you want to do would be allowed, but not listed on the rules, do you ask first?

If you think a rule is unreasonable, do you just ignore it?

Why do you think people break or ignore the rules, or think they are just for the other people...not for them?

If we would all try to be more respectful of other people would we find that we wouldn't need so many rules?

Too many questions..but as we travel and see so many things, I do wonder. Especially as I see so much trash along the roadsides and see all the do not litter signs!

Susie

2. Florida Native

Florida Native
    Expand Collapse

I can say we try to follow the campground regulations as they generally are just common sense. I will admit that I rarely read all the rules when given a 2 page list at check in. We scan for the information we have to have (like bathroom codes and TV channel list) and look at the map. We have never had anybody complain that we were ot following any rule. We do not walk thru occupied sites and the other common sense practices. We treat other campers as we like to be treated.

3. RV Camper1

RV Camper1
    Expand Collapse

We do generally scan through the rules at any campground where we stay, but the vast majority of them are just common sense. While we do see people who don't pay much attention to the park rules, I do think that the majority of RV folks try to live by the rules but may be ignorant of some of them at times. Another factor is that the younger generation are not generally as aware of the common courtesies that we have grown up with. I don't know why, but I am sure that is true.

Pets are probably one of the least observed rules in most parks. In a COE park it is a greater problem because the rangers there are very short handed and they have very little enforcement power. Our constitution prohibits the Army from any arrest or enforcement activities in times of peace and so the rangers in those parks are also because they are employees of the Army. We are presently working as resident volunteers on a COE lake in Texas and I am constantly amazed at the effort that the staff puts in, in spite of the very poor support that they are given by the Army and the total lack of real authority of the rangers.

4. Lee and Fran

Lee and Fran
    Expand Collapse

I have always tried to obey the rules. I recently spent two weeks in a state park and there was a rule about dogs being on leash at all times. I noticed that all the out of staters had their dogs on leashes but the local people from within the state let their dogs run loose. Over the two weeks I bet I seen at least 15 people that came and went that left their dogs of leash. Guess they figure that rule is for out of state people only. Or they figure they are better than the rest of the world.

5. Butch

Butch
    Expand Collapse

We try to obey "all" the rules as they are written for everyones benefit so that your stay will be enjoyable and safe. As others have stated, most rules are common sense, but there are those who believe the rules are written for everyone else except them....

6. John Blue

John Blue
    Expand Collapse

Susie

We read the rules and stay inside the guide lines. In reading your list I think we have found RV people doing close to everything on that list, all wrong. People think no one will see me or so what. We have been landlords now for over 30 years. We have rules as well. Most people would ask at time we kicked them out in street "What did I do wrong?". Some people will do anything they like in life and think this is OK. Good information I like it.

7. moqui51

moqui51
    Expand Collapse

LOL...I was just curious to see if any people would reply and admit if they have broken the rules, and explain why. Maybe at least they will read the comments and think about things the next time they do break the rules.

We are in an Escapees campground right now and it seems that everyone here does abide by the rules. It makes it such a pleasent experience for all of us when this happens.

I do believe that the rule of keeping dogs on a leash is the one rule that is broken most often in campgrounds.

Susie

8. mdcamping

mdcamping
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

Great Topic!

When we check in and as previously posted we'll check over the rules and we'll go over them with the kids. For the most part lot the rules are mostly common sense.

One thing I'll admit to...

Yes my dog is not tied up 100% of the time, can any dog be?

My dog being a sheltie and is like glue following me around and I'm not going to tie my dog up for a two minute project around the campsite before I head back into the camper... :rolleyes:

and yes late at night while were quietly siting by the fire and enjoying the last moments of the night we'll have our fateful companion siting next to us with out being tied up.. :D

Mike

9. HappiestCamper

HappiestCamper
    Expand Collapse

We follow all rules regarding dog (he is always leashed, we will go elsewhere to let him run), quiet hours, etc. We do break one - if they say no alcohol, I'm still going to have a drink, discreetly, in my site.

10. Trentheim

Trentheim
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(HappiestCamper @ Jun 27 2009, 06:40 PM) [snapback]17170[/snapback]

...if they say no alcohol, I'm still going to have a drink, discreetly, in my site.

Amen!

11. moqui51

moqui51
    Expand Collapse

12. Jerry S

Jerry S
    Expand Collapse

When I read the original post I was curious as to what sort of reaction and stories it would elicit. So far I have not seen anything really surprising or unusual: dog infractions. inconsiderate parking, some people think they can do whatever they want, rules are for everybody else, etc. As somebody indicated, most rules are there for a reason - safety, cleanliness, keeping the park looking good, and so on. Two of the minor rules mentioned in previous post were about drying clothes and drinking. As for the drying rule, as a pool user, I am not about to wash and dry my suit and towel in the laundry after every swim. They hang from the side mirrors or rear ladder (depending on the sun). I don't really think this rule is about drying pool stuff - they just don't want lines of laundry hanging at every site. On the drinking issue, with the exception of overtly religious camps, I think this is about drinking outside - whether at your site or walking around the park. I don't think they have a legitimate authority to stop you from drinking in your RV. Otherwise, the more extreme anti-alchohol parks would search every RV that entered their park or bang on your door at 10PM and smell your breath.

My newest peeve is golf carts. More and more large parks are allowing them and even those that post fairly stringent rules have problems with speeding and kid drivers. This is a serious safety issue. Too many people treat these carts like toys and have no clue as to how really dangerous their behavior is. I have complained my **** off at several parks concerning this issue - sometimes with positive results.

A related problem is speeding in the park. Although I have seen people actually got too fast in their RVs, this problem usually involves the tow or towed vehicle. People just can't seem to obey speed limits. Go 10-15 mph over the speed limit on the highway if you must, but please don't do it in a park with a limit of 5-10 mph.

That's enough for now.

13. Picea Mariana

Picea Mariana
    Expand Collapse

I don't stay at places that have rules.

There is nothing less welcoming than prominently displayed guidelines for how I am expected to behave as a guest.

No, I will not obey the 5 mph speed limit. I can't go 5 mph in a vehicle.
    If I leave my clothes in the dryer all day, I expect you to steal them.
    If I am rowdy and boisterous past 10pm (or at all), I expect you to call the police.
    I'm not going to have any guests while camping but if I did, they're not going to be checking in with the campground office.
    I don't need any reminder to cleanup after my pets.
    I won't be cutting down any trees. I usually don't pack a chainsaw when I go camping.
    And there's about a 100% chance I will pee in the woods while tent camping. Sue me.

I'm going to break the "no swearing" rule too.
    Look at this rediculous list of stupid rules. I have never seen such idiotic rules.

Too bossy. Not very hospitable. Why not make campers kneel down and kiss your feet?

When I go to a campgrounds website and they talk more about the rules than the ammenities, I cross it off the list. I know it's not for us.

We are staying almost entirely at public campgrounds now where there may be park rules- we can manage without guns and booze for a few nights- but they don't get all up in your business and give you handouts with the rules. They're mostly don't feed the bears and don't transport firewood. I can live with those rules.

I've stayed in a lot of hotels. They never handout a sheet with rules on it upon check-in. The MArriott website does not post it's "rules". If they did, I wouldn't stay their either.

Hey campground owners. I have a new "rule".
    If you hand me a sheet of rules, we will leave.
    If you post rules on your website, I won't be your guest.

Here's another new rule. Since there seems to be an increasing number of campgrounds that don't have any dumpsters (like forcing people to throw out their trash someplace else is eco-friendly), if you don't have a place to dispose of trash, we will stay someplace that does.

That's the great thing about camping. I can go anywhere. So don't do me any favors.

14. Cheryl

Cheryl
    Expand Collapse

My dog being a sheltie and is like glue following me around and I'm not going to tie my dog up for a two minute project around the campsite before I head back into the camper... rolleyes.gif

and yes late at night while were quietly siting by the fire and enjoying the last moments of the night we'll have our fateful companion siting next to us with out being tied up..

I bought 5 of these before our trip last summer. I fasten them all together to make one very large play area for our fur baby. She can roam around without being on a leash and getting tangled up. I don't have to worry that she will wander to far. She was only 9 months old then, and even though she no longer strays to far away from mommy, I plan on taking them again this year. I always ask before setting them up.
    [attachmentid=176]

Attached Files:

15. RLM

RLM
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(Picea Mariana @ Jun 27 2009, 09:09 PM) [snapback]17180[/snapback]

I don't stay at places that have rules.

That's the great thing about camping. I can go anywhere. So don't do me any favors.

Rules exist because someone has the authority to make them, but doesn’t necessarily have the common sense to use that authority sparingly. What’s worse is the rule maker then gives the enforcement responsibility to a person who has little tact and ability to perform the job without alienating people.

There are 42 rules in the public campground where I am currently hosting. That’s more than the number of sites. As I read these rules, it appeared to me that most came into existence because one “bad apple” did something that was in the lower two digit IQ range. It’s unfortunately that the authority had to make a rule instead of taking care of that bad apple.

We don’t beat customers on the head by handing out printed rules. They are posted on an outside bulletin board where they are obvious. We don’t run around the campground looking for rule breakers. If one becomes obvious that individual is politely and tactfully informed. A repeat offense after being informed means you’re the bad apple and will get you a ticket. Our rangers do have that authority and make liberal use of it.

Picea Mariana>– You’re welcome to camp here, BUT you will go 5 mph (even if you have to push the car), observe quiet hour, keep your dog on a leash at all times, pee on trees only if no one is around, not leave camp fires unattended (someone tried to burn down the forest last year), and will not ride a noisy ATV or motorcycle around the campground all day long. Bring your trash. We have plenty of dumpsters. Bring your alcohol, it’s allowed. Bring your gun (you just can’t discharge it). Bring guests. They don’t have to check in. Hang your wet clothes on any tree you find handy. Most dogs prefer to go in the woods around us so cleaning up after them isn’t an issue. You and the dog can enjoy peeing on trees together.

16. mdcamping

mdcamping
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

QUOTE(Cheryl @ Jun 28 2009, 09:28 AM) [snapback]17187[/snapback]

I bought 5 of these before our trip last summer. I fasten them all together to make one very large play area for our fur baby. She can roam around without being on a leash and getting tangled up. I don't have to worry that she will wander to far. She was only 9 months old then, and even though she no longer strays to far away from mommy, I plan on taking them again this year. I always ask before setting them up.
    [attachmentid=176]

Cheryl,

Our dog just hates to be tied alone out side the TT, and if she is tied up she'll be scratching at the TT door. ( though she'll be fine if were out side with her )

I think your idea would work great if we had a differant dog.

Mike

17. Cheryl

Cheryl
    Expand Collapse

She is not tied. She is contained in the "fenced in area". And, I never leave her out alone. By fastening the 5 pens together we have quite a large area. The picnic table, fire pit and our lawn chairs fit with plenty of "leftover" room.

18. Florida Native

Florida Native
    Expand Collapse

The rules about carrying firearms in national parks has recently (last several months) been changed. As anything congress does, they are complicated, but can basically be interpreted to be what is allowed in the area just outside of the park (state and county regulations) is allowed inside the park with proper state and county regulations. Don’t know how this would be interpreted in a national park like Yellowstone that boarders on several states. I have always carried a firearm locked up in my coach when using a national park and never flaunted them, but now it s generally legal. I think what we have been doing is quite common and I am glad it is now accepted. I did hear one congress woman say she could never go to a national park again because the people would be “armed to the teeth” Actually the amount of people carrying would be just like outside the park and probably less than many people in neighborhoods in her district.

19. gilda

gilda
    Expand Collapse

20. Picea Mariana

Picea Mariana
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(gilda @ Jun 29 2009, 10:50 AM) [snapback]17219[/snapback]

Picea Mariana,

There are very few parks that you would be able to stay in. Decent parks have rules.

I've found the opposite to be true. Like I said I stay at public campgrounds if at all possible and rely on this site to find the ones with consistent 9's and 10's. Definitely decent places.

I've never had to complain about anyone or anything which is strange considering the lack of rules. Hmm.

On the other hand a lot of campgrounds I find listed on this site that tend to have a lot of rules also have bad reviews for being run down or run by cranky people that aren't nice or aren't welcoming. Case in point... That CG that I posted a link to their rules. Look at their lousy ratings and dismal reviews.

QUOTE(RLM @ Jun 28 2009, 02:11 PM) [snapback]17197[/snapback]

Picea Mariana>– You’re welcome to camp here, BUT you will go 5 mph (even if you have to push the car), observe quiet hour, keep your dog on a leash at all times, pee on trees only if no one is around, not leave camp fires unattended (someone tried to burn down the forest last year), and will not ride a noisy ATV or motorcycle around the campground all day long. Bring your trash. We have plenty of dumpsters. Bring your alcohol, it’s allowed. Bring your gun (you just can’t discharge it). Bring guests. They don’t have to check in. Hang your wet clothes on any tree you find handy. Most dogs prefer to go in the woods around us so cleaning up after them isn’t an issue. You and the dog can enjoy peeing on trees together.

Sounds like my kind of place so long as I see a "welcome to ___ campground" sign before I see a "No ______" sign or a "______ prohibited" sign.

ATV's??? Who has those?! How can that possibly be such a widespread problem to warrant telling everyone not to use one? I even stayed recently at a CG that had ATV trails and didn't even see any ATV's there.