Question : Pets

Discussion in 'Destinations and RV Parks' started by campNout, Jul 19, 2009.

1. campNout

campNout
    Expand Collapse

I am the owner of a family run campground . I have a question for campers and park owners who post here, as I am at my wits end as how to handle pets and their owners. I just read the post "Do you follow all the rules" and according to the answers all posters here are good campers and the type of guests that are a pleasure to have. Here is the problem we are getting tired of having to clean dog poop EVERY DAY. Yesterday 26 were picked up and today 48. We have clean up required on the camp rules and we made a notice typed in BIG Letters that we posted on our bulleton board. Have also reminded (VERY NICELY) guests at check in to please clean up after pets. We even purchased novelty sign "Pet asking the owner to be responsible".
    Pets were free, after years of having to deal with clean up we added $1.00 per pet. Three years ago we changed to one pet free and $1.00 for aditional, thinking if the dog was free may be people would clean up. I have tried every thing EXCEPT charge a deposit for pets. If you clean up, deposit returned at check out. This was suggested by a guest. They told me they have even been in parks that charge a deposit and give the money to another camper who report another camper for not cleaning up. I don't think I would like the tattle tale part . We are thinking people would be more likely to clean up as they would not know when they were being watched. What do you good campers think. It is not fair to us to have spend our time cleaning up and NOT FAIR to other guests who check in and the site has poop OR Covered with cigarette butts (thats another story). When we are busy it is hard to check every site between check in and check out. I know that good pet owners get as up set seeing people not clean as we do, as some have voiced their opinons to us. HELP ME Is there a ANSWER or do we GRIN and Bare it keep on scooping and smiling .

2. HappiestCamper

HappiestCamper
    Expand Collapse

Have the plastic pickup bags in lots of locations.

3. gsd08

gsd08
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(HappiestCamper @ Jul 19 2009, 10:31 AM) [snapback]17602[/snapback]

Have the plastic pickup bags in lots of locations.

I agree with that, but have other issues with pet owners. When I go for a walk with our dogs, GSD's, I find that the poop that isn't cleaned up usually is from little yap/lap dogs. Guess their poop don't stink?

My beef with campgrounds:
    We have had German Shepherd Dogs since 1978, and have traveled over the states with them, sometimes as many as 4 at a time. Lived full time in a 36' 5er for almost 2 years. 0 problems with them. Many know the value of GSD's from all the television coverage of them doing search and rescue, police work, service dogs, etc. If any of you have watched the show "K-9 Cops" you will see really viscious GSD's stopping criminals in their tracks, then, once home these viscious GSD's are seen playing with the LEO's (Law Enforcement Officer's) kids, of all ages. So, why, in this world of information are campgrounds still barring a breed that is really man's best friend in so many ways?

4. campNout

campNout
    Expand Collapse

So, why, in this world of information are campgrounds still barring a breed that is really man's best friend in so many ways?
    [/quote]
    We don't bar German Sheperds as I feel any dog that is used as seeing eye or to help handicaped people has to be a good dog. I think about Rin Tin Tin. Big dogs are better behaved than the smaller ones, but we love all animals. If the pets could get control of their masters we would all be happy campers. Thanks for the comments.

5. Lee and Fran

Lee and Fran
    Expand Collapse

I have seen a few rv parks that require dogs be walked in a certain area only with no exceptions. And those areas also have the pickup bags available. Those seem to work well, I dont know if they have problems with people not walking them to those areas or not but it works for me.

Never have heard of any parks not allowing German Shepards only dogs like dobermans and pit bulls. I have never had a park ask me what kind of dog I have either so guess I am lucky or just hit the right parks. I have had to pay extra for my dog and also dont have a problem with that and I have seen a parks that charge from one to as much as 10 dollars for a dog.

6. Texasrvers

Texasrvers
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

We do not have any dogs right now, but at one time we traveled with 4 of those yap/lap dogs. (And gsd08, trust me, their poop does stink! :p ) The biggest problem we ran into was that the dog walk was sometimes so far from our RV site it was hard to get the dogs there before they had to go, especially as they became older. (There were times we drove them.) I guess it is not feasible to have several dog areas around the campground, but if people (and dogs) did not have to walk so far it might be a solution to the problem.

CampNout: Do you have a dog area? I could not tell from your post. If there was a designated area maybe most guests would use it. Also I would not like the deposit idea. Not because of the money per say, but because you yourself said you cannot check every site after each camper leaves. I would be concerned that there would be a mess from the last camper, and I would get blamed for it. I would think that situation would be very hard to police, and honestly, how could you tell for sure which dog was the offender?

You sound like a very conscientious park owner, and I wish you luck.

7. campNout

campNout
    Expand Collapse

CampNout: Do you have a dog area? I could not tell from your post. If there was a designated area maybe most guests would use it. Also I would not like the deposit idea. Not because of the money per say, but because you yourself said you cannot check every site after each camper leaves. I would be concerned that there would be a mess from the last camper, and I would get blamed for it. I would think that situation would be very hard to police, and honestly, how could you tell for sure which dog was the offender?

You sound like a very conscientious park owner, and I wish you luck.
    [/quote]
    Thank you Texas. We are a small park and have asked that pet owners walk the dogs all around the out side Perimeter . I have been reading other forums and have decided there is only one answer KEEP Cleaning up. We include one pet in the rate and $1.00 for each additional. We try to limit 2 dogs per site. I just read a post where a Lady said she was charged for her pet, sounds like she got very ugly. She asked why and was told, the extra money was given to the clean up worker. She said "while there she never cleaned up and would go to the office and let them know where her dog pooped, after all she paid for the service. Same forum a poster stated he was told there was a $3.00 additional charge for AC, I know how much electric some rigs use and it is hard to make a profit when people are wasteful. This poster said her husband turned the AC on 60 opened all the windows and doors to use make sure they used the extra $3.00. It is so sad that some people do things to make sure the park goes in the hole. For this reason we will just continue to bend over back wards to make sure people enjoy their stay, clean up the poop and know that is just how it is. I have added the link, post about AC and dog poop starts with post 22.

http://www.myrvtalk.com/miscellaneous/3073...rictions-3.html]Campground forum[/url]

8. abbygolden

abbygolden
    Expand Collapse

I don't have a really good answer to your question other than to wonder whether or not it may be a generational thing.

The park that I'm staying at is an adult only park and almost all of us have dogs. Part of the park has a large open area where there are no campers and we all walk our dogs in this area. This is the second summer I've been here and not once have I seen any dog poop, whether near the RVs or in the open area. So either we have conscientious pet owners or dogs who are terribly constipated! All of us are experienced campers and know what we should/should not do while camping.

When I was hosting at state parks, dog poop was a terrible problem. It was as if people thought we were supposed to clean up after them, that they left their responsibilities at home when they closed the door and went camping. I've not noticed as bad a problem at private parks, but the problem still exists at virtually all I've stayed at.

We can complain and preach as much as we want, but it will have little effect until parks start enforcing their rules. It may cost them customers in the short term, but as the word gets out about how clean their park is, the customers will return.

9. gilda

gilda
    Expand Collapse

deleted

10. Gunnar

Gunnar
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(gilda @ Jul 20 2009, 08:12 AM) [snapback]17612[/snapback]

A lot of campgrounds bar Germans Shepherd because of their insurance companies. I personally let them in....(our insurance co. bars pit bulls, rottie's, sheps, and dobermans). I still however (until I get caught), only bar pit bulls and rotties.

You have been caught. As for the dogs you don't allow, it's pretty easy to discriminate against something that cannot defend itself with words. I could give you a list of references as long as your arm for my dog.

I understand the insurance thing, don't like it but I do understand it. By not allowing my dog you are missing the look in her eyes and excitement when we come back again.

We are on a mission my dog and I. That is to prove to open minded folks that they are well behaved, have wonderful personalities, wont chew your hand off, eat your small children or little foo foo dog.

As for picking up poop we always do. Have also been known to pick up the odd orphan poop as well. I would expect the campground owner to respect the rules of my property so I think I/other campers should do the same on theirs.

11. gilda

gilda
    Expand Collapse

12. Gunnar

Gunnar
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(gilda @ Jul 20 2009, 03:57 PM) [snapback]17624[/snapback]

You will NEVER, EVER find a person that loves dogs (and all animals) for that matter more than I do. So DO NOT accuse me of discriminating!! I mentioned the dogs that the insurance company will not allow in the park because this is THEIR rule. I am a manager...I am NOT an owner. When I took over the park, I had a German Shepard. a German Shepherd mix, and two Dobermans already in the park. I made an exception and allowed them to stay, barring any aggressive behavior. If the insurance company sees the dogs that I have allowed to stay, I will probably be in a lot of trouble. I did this because I happen to love dogs...ALL DOGS, yes even yours. I was merely trying to explain to the poster regarding why his German Shepherds were not welcomed at most parks.

In regard to the original poster. I still do not understand the stupidity of dog owners who do not pick up after their dogs. As he stated, it is so unfair to the law abiding majority of dog owners.

Before you jump all over me read my second paragraph. I believe it states I understand why but don't like it.

13. rgatijnet

rgatijnet
    Expand Collapse

Personally I would ask each person that checks in IF they have a dog. Then I would stress to them the importance of them cleaning up after their animal. I would also point out that this is an eviction offense and IF they are seen not picking up after their dog they will be asked to leave.
    This can be done in a firm, not confrontational, manner that should get the point across.
    We have a very large Great Pyrenees and it is not uncommon to have to use two bags for a clean-up. We are thankful to parks that allows us to bring our baby into their park and the last thing we want to do is cause a problem. I also always provide our own clean-up bags and DO NOT expect you to provide something that should be our responsibility. After all, we should be cleaning up after our dog EVERYWHERE we stop so carrying our own bags is a necessity. I would ask each customer at check-in IF they have clean-up bags. If they say no, then they already have a problem and are showing that they are not used to cleaning up after their pet.
    On that note, I would also like to ask that those of you that have the little yapping dogs, please do what you can to train them to be tolerant of other dogs. My big Pyr just looks at your barking dog like she wonders what is going on, but the noise from your pet is disturbing to all within earshot. It IS NOT cute for you little fluffball to try to attack an animal that could kill them with one bite. I have my dog properly trained and under complete control when I take her for a walk. I really appreciate it when other owners do the same.

14. gilda

gilda
    Expand Collapse

15. rgatijnet

rgatijnet
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(gilda @ Jul 21 2009, 12:57 PM) [snapback]17642[/snapback]

I completely agree, but don't you think that the majority of pet owners of ALL dogs are genuinely caring and are considerate pet owners? I find a very small percentage of uncaring pet owners.

Don't get me wrong. I completely agree that the vast majority of pet owners, especially the ones that travel with their pets, undoubtedly do love and care for their pets. That fact does not guaranty that when their pets are outside on their leash and exposed to other dogs that they are well behaved. I have found a lot of pet owners that think that it is cute for their small dogs to try to jump on my leg or tug to get at my Pyr. I am usually told by the owner that their little fluff ball is just being "friendly." I love dogs, but I don't think that is being cute or friendly. I view it as a dog that is not under control by their owner.
    Let me turn things around......My dog tips the scales at close to 150 pounds. She is not aggressive but how would you feel if she tugged at her leash and put her paws on your leg to say hi(actually it would be her paws on your shoulder), or tugged to get at your 15 pound ball of fluff? Most people, pet owners or not, wouldn't like my big dog making those advances. I understand completely and I don't like any dog, small or large, taking liberties with me or my big dog, unless both owners agree that it is OK. Pets have to be taught to respect their boundaries and to be taught what is acceptable behavior when exposed to other people and animals.

16. gilda

gilda
    Expand Collapse

17. rgatijnet

rgatijnet
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(gilda @ Jul 21 2009, 03:06 PM) [snapback]17647[/snapback]

Actually, I would love it. My daughter has a Great Pyrenees named "Remington". I miss him and would love to see his big goofy polar bear smile. :lol:

Our current female Pyr(Echo) is smaller than our previous male Pyr, Bear. He did have a goofy smile and his immense size and pure white fur always attracted a lot of attention when we traveled. It always surprised me when people would want their picture taken as they stood next to a strangers dog. Maybe they told others that they were standing next to a polar bear. :D
    Echo loves people but she still knows better than to be too friendly with strangers and other dogs until we allow it.
    As you know, Pyrs are great with children, and with other animals, but their size does cause concern with some people. They pretty much remain aloof to others which makes it fairly easy to train them to mind their manners when out in public. I think a Pyr's all white color convinces strangers that a Pyr is friendly which is why some people have no concern about giving their small dogs enough leash to approach Echo prior to asking us if it is OK. I guess they don't realize that a Pyr will attack a bear, wolf, or other animal, regardless of size, that threatens their "flock."

18. OurWheelyHome

OurWheelyHome
    Expand Collapse

I have a suggestion.

When checking in, ask the patron if they have pets? Then, if they do, present them with two copies (colored paper) that they will sign. One for you to keep & one for them to keep, as follows:

Welcome to *_________RV Park.* Thank you for choosing our park as your home-away-from home!

My Pet's Name: _____________ (Welcome!!!)

Please be advised of our ZERO TOLERANCE Policy regarding pets. Signature required upon check-in.

"My pet(s) and their WASTE is my FULL responsibility while I am visiting *________ RV Park*.

I agree to:

(1) FULLY CLEAN UP ALL pet waste promptly and thoroughly.

(2) Keep all pets on a leash at all times.

I understand that that if I do not clean up and be responsible for my pet's waste, I will be asked to vacate the premises and forfeit the remainder my stay. Campers are asked to report those who do not clean up after their pets.

I understand that this Zero Tolerance Pet Policy is required solely to continue ensure a CLEAN and SAFE environment for ALL patrons of __________ RV Park, including myself and my family.

[SIZE=12pt]My pet is MY family member and MY responsibility and I AGREE to abide by the above.[/SIZE]

Signed:

________________________________ Print Your Name Here: _________________________

Note: Doggie Do-Bags are available for nominal fee. Thank you and know that We Work Hard to help you have a pleasant and enjoyable stay at ____________ RV Park.

Also, you might want to include similar language on the TOP of your campground map asking campers to report those who do not follow this POLICY.

GOOD LUCK!!

19. OurWheelyHome

OurWheelyHome
    Expand Collapse

Dear CampNOut:

Another suggestion.

We never camped with a pet until our last trip. Before leaving home, I stopped at the Dollar General Store/Family Dollar store and purchased for only $1 a small hand shovel+rake SET (like you use in the garden). Both pieces cost me $1 - came bagged as a set.

This was so much more pleasant to use to clean up after our Cocker Spaniel than doggie do bags. Even my husband (who is a major gagger) used these tools without complaint.

Maybe you could purchase a bunch of these *put them in a pretty basket - maybe one shaped like a doggie!!! - i'm so creative *smile* - - > and point them out to pet owners when they check in. Say, "Do you have proper tools? We have these here if you need them. They are only $1 and this will help you!"

$1 is cheap and it will give them something to pack in their RVs to take with them and maybe BECOME A RESPONSIBLE pet owner / camper.

I hope my suggestions have helped U.

20. OurWheelyHome

OurWheelyHome
    Expand Collapse

Dear CampNout:

I am SO Sorry. I just can't help myself.

If you utilize some form of 'the pet agreement' that I suggestd above.

Maybe when you ask the patron if they have pets and they answer "yes", you could break the ice with them by offering their doggie a treat! Have them fill in the name of the dog on the PET POLICY sheet and then direct them to 3 jars - Small - Medium - Large - with cheap doggie treat bones in them - and let them choose a treat for each dog. This will break the ice and help you to not come off as 'management' but as a friendly fellow dog lover! Maybe have a photo of your dog right there on the counter too!

Then have them complete the form(s) and reinforce zero tolerance.

I'll stop now, I promise.

Cheers!