Campground Convenient To Tour Antietam?

Discussion in 'Destinations and RV Parks' started by janmcn, Aug 2, 2009.

1. janmcn

janmcn
    Expand Collapse

We'll be at Cherry Hill CG in MD and will be traveling on to the NC shore, but would like to see Antietam. Is it best to see it as a day trip from Cherry Hill, or are there any campgrounds that we could stay at and use it as a stopover on the way to NC? We have time to "meander." (We're in a 40' motorhome.) I'm not seeing anything on the website for cgs near it, so am looking for other input.

2. Texasrvers

Texasrvers
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

If I remember my geography correctly Antietam is about 65 miles northwest of the Cherry Hill CG and not on the way to North Carolina. So unless you just want to "meander" in the opposite direction (which can be a lot of fun) I would suggest you do it as a day trip. We have stayed at Cherry Hill, but not near Antietam. Maybe someone else can suggest campgrounds there.

3. janmcn

janmcn
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(Texasrvers @ Aug 2 2009, 09:50 AM) [snapback]18008[/snapback]

If I remember my geography correctly Antietam is about 65 miles northwest of the Cherry Hill CG and not on the way to North Carolina. So unless you just want to "meander" in the opposite direction (which can be a lot of fun) I would suggest you do it as a day trip. We have stayed at Cherry Hill, but not near Antietam. Maybe someone else can suggest campgrounds there.

I think we'll do it while at Cherry Hill...just figured if there was something there we'd head over that way...love that area, so don't mind roaming a bit. It does seem the easiest way is to do it as a day trip.
    Appreciate the info...jan

4. Trentheim

Trentheim
    Expand Collapse

I think the day trip is a good option. Looking at a map shows that Cherry Hill isn't really that far from Antietam. In a car, you can take smaller roads to get there fairly quickly. Or you could take your motorhome with you over the highways and continue down I-81 en route to NC. It would take you a bit out of the way, but you would get to avoid a goodly portion of I-95.

Edit: I see now that Cherry Hill town is close to Antietam, but Cherry Hill CG isn't quite. Probably worth a daytrip via car, although you could still take the motorhome down I-81 after the visit.

5. BBear

BBear
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(janmcn @ Aug 2 2009, 08:19 AM) [snapback]18005[/snapback]

We'll be at Cherry Hill CG in MD and will be traveling on to the NC shore, but would like to see Antietam. Is it best to see it as a day trip from Cherry Hill, or are there any campgrounds that we could stay at and use it as a stopover on the way to NC? We have time to "meander." (We're in a 40' motorhome.) I'm not seeing anything on the website for cgs near it, so am looking for other input.

It's doable as a day trip from Cherry Hill, but if you would like to camp near Antietam, there are three campgrounds that are relatively close that I know of.

Greenbrier State Park and Hagerstown/Antietam Battlefield KOA are both located near Hagerstown and are about 12 or so miles from Antietam. Greenbrier is a beautiful state park and has electric hookups but no water or sewer hookups. The KOA isn't bad, but the road to it is quite narrow and windy and the campground road itself is quite narrow and the sites are quite small.

Yogi Bear's Jellystone Park in Williamsport is about the same distance from Antietam as Greenbrier or KOA (just estimating) and is a really nice park, but kind of pricey if you don't have kids...in addition to the base rate for the site, you also have to pay 8 bucks a person per night for the first three nights of your stay during the summer that covers use of the water park, go karts and mini-golf...you have to pay this fee regardless of if you use them or not.

Here are the links for the reviews for these three campgrounds on this site:

For Greenbrier and KOA:

https://www.campgroundreviews.com/regions/Maryl...Hagerstown.html

For Yogi Bear's Jellystone:

https://www.campgroundreviews.com/regions/Maryl...lliamsport.html

Both Greenbrier and KOA are off of I-70 and Yogi Bear's Jellystone is right of off I-81...if you decide to camp at any of these, you could easily get back on track to the NC shore, by taking I-81 South to I-66 East to Route 17 which will put you right back on I-95 near Fredricksburg, VA and you eliminate all of the DC traffic...this is the route we take when we go South, the roads are great for traveling and not having to deal with the DC traffic is great. I've never looked into mileage wise if it's shorter or longer to go this way, but it always seems shorter to me because of less traffic congestion.

Whatever you decide to do, I hope you have a great trip...Antietam is definitely worth stopping to see and don't know if you know it or not, but Harper's Ferry would be about 21 miles from Hagerstown/Williamsport and Gettysburg is about 30 miles away...if you're interested in visiting either of them as well if you haven't already.