Inverter

Discussion in 'General Community Discussions' started by pianotuna, Aug 6, 2009.

?

has your inverter failed"

1. yes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. no

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. do not have an inverter

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. pianotuna

pianotuna
    Expand Collapse

Hi all,

I'm wondering how many folks have an inverter that has failed. Do you know why it failed?

2. FosterImposters

FosterImposters
    Expand Collapse

Hello Pianotuna:
    I tried to vote. :blink:
    Clicked on "I have no inverter" however I get an error message as it wants me to also answer your next question.
    So, in order to get myself out of the error loop, I'll check the least amount of power.

We've never had an inverter. Am looking forward to learning from folks if we should put this on the list for future RVs.

Cheers! B)

3. rangiebob

rangiebob
    Expand Collapse

Ours hasn't failed, but we did overtax it once and had to use the reset button.

4. pianotuna

pianotuna
    Expand Collapse

Hi,

Sorry about the mix up on the poll. They seem hard to do.

I should have left a "zero" choice in the 2nd question.

QUOTE(FosterImposters @ Aug 7 2009, 02:53 PM) [snapback]18165[/snapback]

Hello Pianotuna:
    I tried to vote. :blink:
    Clicked on "I have no inverter" however I get an error message as it wants me to also answer your next question.
    So, in order to get myself out of the error loop, I'll check the least amount of power.

We've never had an inverter. Am looking forward to learning from folks if we should put this on the list for future RVs.

Cheers! B)

5. Denali

Denali
    Expand Collapse

Our inverter "failure" was strange.

We are fulltimers. We have a 2000 watt whole-house inverter and four golf cart batteries. A few weeks ago we lost shore power, and our generator kicked on in about 20 minutes. That's odd because I have it set to come on when the batteries drop to 11.8 volts, and we didn't have any big loads running at the time.

After an hour or so of troubleshooting I found that there was a big DC load someplace that was quickly drawing down the batteries. I power cycled the inverter from its remote, and the problem went away.

--
    Dave Rudisill
    2004 Beaver Monterey

6. pianotuna

pianotuna
    Expand Collapse

Hi Denali,

Let me guess--you have an automatic system and an inverter/charger? What happened is that the relay "stuck" on the converter side--so the inverter was trying to charge the batteries that it was drawing energy from. Perpetual motion is *such* an expensive business! LOL

QUOTE(Denali @ Aug 8 2009, 10:37 AM) [snapback]18180[/snapback]

Our inverter "failure" was strange.

We are fulltimers. We have a 2000 watt whole-house inverter and four golf cart batteries. A few weeks ago we lost shore power, and our generator kicked on in about 20 minutes. That's odd because I have it set to come on when the batteries drop to 11.8 volts, and we didn't have any big loads running at the time.

After an hour or so of troubleshooting I found that there was a big DC load someplace that was quickly drawing down the batteries. I power cycled the inverter from its remote, and the problem went away.

--
    Dave Rudisill
    2004 Beaver Monterey

7. Denali

Denali
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(pianotuna @ Aug 8 2009, 12:31 PM) [snapback]18182[/snapback]

Hi Denali,

Let me guess--you have an automatic system and an inverter/charger? What happened is that the relay "stuck" on the converter side--so the inverter was trying to charge the batteries that it was drawing energy from. Perpetual motion is *such* an expensive business! LOL

I like your explanation, Don.

Thanks.

--
    Dave Rudisill
    2004 Beaver Monterey