Extreme Boondocking

Discussion in 'General Community Discussions' started by pianotuna, Aug 10, 2009.

1. pianotuna

pianotuna
    Expand Collapse

Hi all,

My RV is Kustom Koach based on the Ford E-450 chassis. It is equipped with a "Dometic" Briskaire Roof Ducted Air Conditioner c/w Heat Strip, and a "Hydroflame" DSI Furnace.

I want to be able to use the heat strip and the furnace at the same time--however both are controlled by one thermostat on the wall--and it is not possible to have the switch in two positions at once.

Does anyone have a "work around" for this situation? (I'd not object to adding a 2nd thermostat if that is what it takes.

2. Trentheim

Trentheim
    Expand Collapse

I gotta ask what you are needing to do that requires both at the same time. You got me perplexed. (You're not stress testing your solar panel solutions are you?)

I think you can use one thermostat, but I would suggest two just to keep better control over the temperatures of the system.

3. pianotuna

pianotuna
    Expand Collapse

Hi Trentham,

I can't use one thermostat because the selection setting switch is furnace, airconditioner, off, and heat strip. It can't be in two positions at once.

I want to be able to use both to increase the speed at which I can warm up the RV--and also to have the heat strip carry as much of the load as possible--setting the furnace to cut in a degree or two colder than the heat strip setting.

4. gsbogart

gsbogart
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(pianotuna @ Aug 10 2009, 09:56 PM) [snapback]18239[/snapback]

Hi Trentham,

I can't use one thermostat because the selection setting switch is furnace, airconditioner, off, and heat strip. It can't be in two positions at once.

I want to be able to use both to increase the speed at which I can warm up the RV--and also to have the heat strip carry as much of the load as possible--setting the furnace to cut in a degree or two colder than the heat strip setting.

Don
    I think you answered your own question when you said you wanted the heat strip to carry a load different from the furnace.
    The only way you can do that is with two thermostats. However, if you are looking for a 2 stage system, that is possible with a 2 stage heat cool thermostat, but you might need to run some additional wiring depending on what is in the back of the existing thermostat hookup. Most heat pump thermostats are 2 stage heat, one stage cool, and are available from home depot.
    Run the w1 terminal to the furnace along with a ground wire. Run W2 to the heat strip contactor, and the y1 to the cooling contactor on the A/C. Run the G to the fan contactor. The R terminal is for the transformer or control voltage input.
    You will not need the Orange or blue which go to the reversing valve in two types of wiring scenarios.