The Life And Times Of A Camp Host

Discussion in 'General Community Discussions' started by RLM, Aug 11, 2009.

1. RLM

RLM
    Expand Collapse

We camp host do have an opinion. Here is mine.

Some animal owners are deficient in picking up after their pets. I was kinda wondering if those same campers would mind if I pooped on their RV site or home lawn. After all, there’s not a lot of difference between human and animal poop other than the size of the pile.

Speaking of inconsiderate pet owners…the campground leash rule is in place because a limited few didn’t have enough common sense to keep their dogs from scaring the *#@& out of young kids and other campers who were in the campground at the same time that you were???

We respect folk’s desire to smoke and subject themselves to lung cancer suicide. However, my respect for your habit does not extent to your uneducated, low class habit of tossing them all over your campsite. That’s because I’m the one who has to pick up the butts because you are too lazy to put them in a trash bag. Sometimes I wished I could come to your house and dump an astray on your living room carpet so that you might, in my wildest dream, appreciate the consequences of your inconsiderate actions.

If you are one of those who are called to task for violating quiet hours in a campground please understand that it was originally put in place because other campers like you did not have any common courtesy for fellow campers who may not appreciate your loud music or generator. You are not going to be allowed to ignore that rule - no matter where you go. So, get used to it, and try to be civilized.

If tomorrow I were king there would be no fire rings. That is because many, yes I do mean many, campers consider them to be a trash bin. One of my jobs as host is to clean fire rings. I have absolutely no problem with making them spotless for the next camper. I do have an issue with sorting and picking out glass beer bottles, aluminum cans, and assorted unburnable trash because some campers are too lazy to walk a few feet to the campground trash barrels.

We camp host also do not appreciate noise complaints from ‘old farts’ who complain about not being able to hear a pin drop during their stay, but don’t have a problem with cranking up their diesel pusher at five thirty in the morning to leave the campground. Don’t be offended if we mistake you for an ‘old fart.’ Yeah, I know using that term is being prejudice. But, most of the time it is warranted and if you early risers don’t agree with that, then you are welcome to try my job for awhile.

Camp hosts are also tired of hearing about someone walking thru your campsite. Unless you bought it with US currency, it is not yours, so have a little tolerance. It’s a 30 second event. If you are so anal retentive about that, then buy some rubber bullets and leave me alone.

The campground speed limit is absurdly low to punish everyone for the acts of a few morons who speed and could care less about the safety of other campers. The owner’s figure that if the posted limit is dead turtle speed, then 99% of the camper’s will at least somewhat slow down.

Your kids and grandkids aren’t any more special than the others in the campground. They must obey the rules like everyone else. In five years of being a host, I’ve only met two kids in the same family that I would have pinned a medal on for being exemplary examples of what every responsible parent wishes their kids to be.

If something doesn’t work on your campsite, please give me the chance to fix it before you come to an irate three foot hover. I really do appreciate that you paid for a site expecting working components. A customer oriented campground didn’t do it just to piss you off and I do not appreciate your lack of tolerance in taking your frustration out on me.

Please do not knock on my door if we have an Off Duty sign posted with the blinds down and the lights off. Unlike Wal-Mart’s 24/7 operation, we actually do have a personal life that does not include your menial expectations. Now if you are currently being eaten by a bear and certainly in fear of losing your life, then go ahead and ignore the sign.

Campers might also consider that we Hosts are in the job because we wish to do so for various personal reasons that have nothing to do with needing a job or because we are insolvent vagrants. Some of us make more money in retirement than most people do being employed. The dead give away might just be that the RV on the host site costs two or three times what yours does. Do not, under any circumstance, look down on us. We do this job willingly in an effort to make your weekend warrior experience a pleasant one and we sometimes would really welcome some form of appreciate of our service to you.

Despite my triad, I really do enjoy being a Host. RVers are some of the nicest people on the planet and I meet many of them. Despite the aforementioned negatives, it is a positive experience that I enjoy.

Camp Host of the world, I would like to suggest a new motto… “51% Nice Guy and 49% Mad Dog.” Campers, you might want to think about crossing the 2% line!!

That’s now my current motto and I’m not telling you where I am hosting.

2. John Blue

John Blue
    Expand Collapse

RLM,

Great report! Now I hope other RV people will read this information and take action. We see copies of everything in your post as we travel around. People can not think well in an RV Park. Rules are for everyone in park. Nice work!!!

3. Lee and Fran

Lee and Fran
    Expand Collapse

Aye, thank you for a job well done and great comments to boot.

4. JackHammr'

JackHammr'
    Expand Collapse

Well said RLM , Thanks ..

5. abbygolden

abbygolden
    Expand Collapse

Actually - as a cg host all over the country for many years - I can safely say that you definitely have a negative attitude that I hope you don't show in front of other campers. Do I agree with many of your complaints? You bet I do. Many are right on the spot. However, if after one tour of duty as a cg host you didn't realize what you would be facing, you must be blind! You should've realized by now many that campers consider you (us) do be lazy, not capable of being able to eat with a fork and should always clean up after them. After I learned that, I went about trying to dissuade campers of their mistaken thoughts and, in some cases, was successful.

It ISN'T the best job in the world, but it is rewarding in the good people you meet and make friends with, see again, and enjoy. I have only volunteered everywhere I've been, never for a salary and that may make a difference, but I doubt it. You say you like being a host, why don't you show that to others? Sometimes it's tough, but that's why we make the big bucks.

FYI, several years ago we had a site for cg hosts. Unfortunately, it went under within a year because of lack of interest.

6. BBear

BBear
    Expand Collapse

RLM, Great Post!!!!!!!!!

7. Tom

Tom
    Expand Collapse

abbygolden, sounds to me that RLM just a needed a minute to "vent". Everyone needs that every so often!

RLM, great post.

8. RLM

RLM
    Expand Collapse

abbygolden> Because this current job is not my first rodeo at camp hosting, I respect your own camp host experience and comments, but I am entitled to a “negative attitude” if I choose to have one. One or two campers on my current watch have come extremely close to the 2% line, but each one still has their knee caps.

Please re-read the most important line in my previous post…”RVers are some of the nicest people on the planet and I meet many of them.”

9. rodman

rodman
    Expand Collapse

Excellent post, I can't see anything negative about it. It is just about following some simple rules and common courtesy. Nothing wrong with that.

Just my opinion,

10. summerland

summerland
    Expand Collapse

Wow, to the original poster of this thread. You should find a new line of work. Life is way too short to be as unhappy as you are. You ended your tirade with QUOTE
    That’s now my current motto and I’m not telling you where I am hosting.
    . I personally do not want to know where you host. I would not want to camp there. Does the owner of this park know how unhappy you are?

11. abbygolden

abbygolden
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(RLM @ Aug 13 2009, 08:37 PM) [snapback]18308[/snapback]

abbygolden> Because this current job is not my first rodeo at camp hosting, I respect your own camp host experience and comments, but I am entitled to a “negative attitude” if I choose to have one. One or two campers on my current watch have come extremely close to the 2% line, but each one still has their knee caps.

Please re-read the most important line in my previous post…”RVers are some of the nicest people on the planet and I meet many of them.”

I have no problem with you venting a negative attitude; my problem would be if you allowed that negativism to be manifested in front of campers. If you think that I have never vented about campers, think again - and read MY post. If any of my supervisors had ever seen me displaying a negative attitude in front of campers I would have been fired on the spot - and rightfully so.

Believe me when I say that we really do see eye-to-eye with regards to campers. It's all in how we react that is different.

12. RV Camper1

RV Camper1
    Expand Collapse

While we too have seen every one of those things happen, I think that if I were as unhappy in a campground position as this sounds, I sure would find something else to do. This seems to be a paid position in a commercial RV park and yet the author don't seem to like people all that much. I suppose the thought is that most of the offenders perhaps read this forum, but somehow I very much doubt that they do so and even if they do, those people will always know that the message is for someone else!

What I find really interesting is how the probability of the dog poop being left behind increase as the size and number of dogs increase? Is that some basic law of human nature? The jerks will always be with us, so let's just write them off as they deserve.

We have hosted as volunteers in public parks with no pay except our RV site and we loved it! The problems are the same, but we have chosen to remember the many really great people that we got to know and the wonderful times we had there! I sure hope that post makes you feel better, because it isn't likely to do a lot more than that.

Keep a good attitude and remember all of those great folks that you met and just forget the ugly ones!

13. rangiebob

rangiebob
    Expand Collapse

RLM, you have a great way with words! The only thing I disagree with is

"Camp hosts are also tired of hearing about someone walking thru your campsite. Unless you bought it with US currency, it is not yours,..."

We pay our hard-earned money to rent this campsite and it is our tiny little piece of the park for the length of time we paid for it. It is ours in the same way as if we were renting a house and people think it's okay to walk through our yard without asking. BTW, we are not anal in the slightest; we just believe in common courtesy.

14. MaineDon

MaineDon
    Expand Collapse

Wow!! If this is the attitude of most camp hosts, then I will do my best to stay away from them in the future! Exactly what, RLM, do you view your role to be in a campground?? Apparently, it s not dealing with noise complaints, walking-through-site complaints, out-of-control grandchildren, trash filled fire rings, smokers (and I am not one), etc. Weren't you forewarned of these duties (e.g., cleaning fire rings) before accepting the job? Hadn't you camped previously and seen speeders in the campground, bad pet owners, heard complaints of walk-thrus, seen dirty trash rings, cigarette butts on the ground, etc.?

I agree with the minority position taken above; since you say you don't need the job, maybe you should find some other type of activity to occupy your time in the future. And, as I read your post, you come through as disliking your fellow RV'ers "loud and clear." It's too bad that you are not willing to reveal the park in which you serve as "host", so that some of us could avoid it in the future. I find you post to be highly negative.