What Should I Have Done?

Discussion in 'General Community Discussions' started by Ohiojude, Sep 22, 2009.

1. Ohiojude

Ohiojude
    Expand Collapse

Last wkend my husband and i stopped and stayed at a State Park campground. We had woods and beach on one side of us. On the other was a family w/2 young children. The problem was the site on the other side of them. There looked to be 2 couples and one with a child about 12ish. The couples were early to mid forties and they must have thought they were rock stars. They sang and played their guitars until well after midnite. Tho we were upset, we closed all the windows and put the tv on to drown out their noise. I asked my husband to go over and say something, evidently no one else was going to say anything. But he didn't. We don't like to cause a scene nor do we like confrontation. But does anyone?

It was loud and obnoxious and very rude that late at night. They had all day to sign their hearts out. Can someone please help me with this? What is a solution to this? I would of thought a ranger would drive by, but never saw anyone.

Sometimes I get upset with myself for not being more forward. Its not like we are old either, we are in our 40's. I guess we are in the stage where we like peace and quiet now the kids are grown and out of the house :)

best regards,

judy

2. rangiebob

rangiebob
    Expand Collapse

I feel for you in this situation. If you don't feel comfortable going over and politely reminding them that it's quiet hours and you are trying to sleep, which may or may not work, call the emergency after hours number that is probably posted and report it to the ranger. I don't like confrontations either and would have immediately called the ranger. The rules are for everyone and it's too bad that some think they are immune to them.

QUOTE(Ohiojude @ Sep 22 2009, 12:35 PM) [snapback]19115[/snapback]

Last wkend my husband and i stopped and stayed at a State Park campground. We had woods and beach on one side of us. On the other was a family w/2 young children. The problem was the site on the other side of them. There looked to be 2 couples and one with a child about 12ish. The couples were early to mid forties and they must have thought they were rock stars. They sang and played their guitars until well after midnite. Tho we were upset, we closed all the windows and put the tv on to drown out their noise. I asked my husband to go over and say something, evidently no one else was going to say anything. But he didn't. We don't like to cause a scene nor do we like confrontation. But does anyone?

It was loud and obnoxious and very rude that late at night. They had all day to sign their hearts out. Can someone please help me with this? What is a solution to this? I would of thought a ranger would drive by, but never saw anyone.

Sometimes I get upset with myself for not being more forward. Its not like we are old either, we are in our 40's. I guess we are in the stage where we like peace and quiet now the kids are grown and out of the house :)

best regards,

judy

3. abbygolden

abbygolden
    Expand Collapse

If there were campground hosts there, you should've advised them of the problem. That's one of the reasons for hosts (having been one and having been awakened many times in the middle of the night for various reason, I know). Had that failed, either call the emergency number or 911. This advice goes for any campground in which you may stay in the future. I do not advise direct contact as there are too many nuts out there who think the world revolves around them and who knows what their reaction might be.

4. nicki

nicki
    Expand Collapse

I agree with abby, there are too many nuts out there. They have already demonstrated their lack of regard for civility, so someone simply asking them to quiet down was NOT going to solve the problem. In fact, it very well could have made it worse, because then they get to add spite into the mix. The only solution would be to call the emergency number/host. That and to very loudly bang on their door at the crack of dawn the next morning to ask if you can borrow a cup of sugar. Just kidding ;)

5. Ohiojude

Ohiojude
    Expand Collapse

Oh I am so glad I posted this. I didn't even think that there would be a emergancy number. And Host? There may have been one but didn't think of that either. The next time tho and unfortunatly there will probably be a next time, I will have these numbers.

Its just too bad some people are like that.

thank you for the replies! :)

judy

6. meatwagon45

meatwagon45
    Expand Collapse

Sadly, there is a fine line everyone must walk regarding quiet hours. Sometimes people just dont realize the time or when they are being loud. I try very hard not to be "that guy" but I understand when it happens. On the flip side, it is agrivating to be kept awake by those who are not considerate. Like it was said before, get the ranger or host. Let them be the bad guy - it's their job. In your case, where you did not know who to contact, I would not have hesitated asking them to quiet down. Politely asking them to keep the noise down so kids can sleep is acceptable. Obviously, at one point, they would have been mad if some loud individuals woke their child in the middle of the night. I doubt they would have been confrontational. There is the chance they were not aware of the time or the rules.

Like I said, there is a fine line and everyone is trying to stand on it at the same time.

7. RV Camper1

RV Camper1
    Expand Collapse

We have served as a campground host at several parks in several states and I very much agree that the host is the first person to contact, if there is one. If not, there must be some number for late night problems. I do not advise that you try to deal with this yourself, unless you happen to be a professional.

I have a friend who is not only a law enforcement officer, but he is way over 6' tall and his hobby is body building. For him, dealing with such things is pretty routine, but most of us are better to leave that to people who have training and authority.

One question is, were there rules and were they prominently posted, or given to new arrivals? It is very possible that they did not know, or that they just did not thing.

An incident comes to mind from our most recent campground hose experience. There was a knock on our door at about 10:30 or 11pm, just after we had retired for the night. A pair of very excited ladies said that there was a large group of very drunk young folks across from them who were screaming and making all kinds of noise. I first made contact with the law enforcement dispatcher (we were in one of our national parks) but no LE was available because there was a rescue of a fallen rock climber going on at the time. They did say that they would send a sheriff's officer as a back-up, but that it could be an hour or more before one could get to us. We agreed that I would deal with the people, while my wife watched and remained in contact with the dispatcher.

I made a point of driving our electric cart, lights on over to the site in question. As I went I noticed that the coyotes were howling quite close to the campground. As I arrived on site the young folks let loose with an imitation of the coyotes, to see if they could get the real coyotes to respond. As it turns out, the young people were from the city and did not know that coyotes will reply to even a fair imitation of their calls. There were no drunks and in fact all that it really was is a case of young campers who didn't think because they were enthralled with the wildlife! In fact, when I approached, they not only apologized to me, but they went across to the two ladies and did the same there. The immediately doused the fire and all went to bed with a great deal of embarrassment for having failed to think!

You might be surprised by how often such things are just failure to think and nothing more. But there are times when people do become angry so it is usually best if a uniformed person deals with such problems.

8. jchapman

jchapman
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(Kirk @ Sep 28 2009, 06:30 PM) [snapback]19303[/snapback]

We have served as a campground host at several parks in several states and I very much agree that the host is the first person to contact, if there is one. If not, there must be some number for late night problems. I do not advise that you try to deal with this yourself, unless you happen to be a professional.

I have a friend who is not only a law enforcement officer, but he is way over 6' tall and his hobby is body building. For him, dealing with such things is pretty routine, but most of us are better to leave that to people who have training and authority.

One question is, were there rules and were they prominently posted, or given to new arrivals? It is very possible that they did not know, or that they just did not thing.

An incident comes to mind from our most recent campground hose experience. There was a knock on our door at about 10:30 or 11pm, just after we had retired for the night. A pair of very excited ladies said that there was a large group of very drunk young folks across from them who were screaming and making all kinds of noise. I first made contact with the law enforcement dispatcher (we were in one of our national parks) but no LE was available because there was a rescue of a fallen rock climber going on at the time. They did say that they would send a sheriff's officer as a back-up, but that it could be an hour or more before one could get to us. We agreed that I would deal with the people, while my wife watched and remained in contact with the dispatcher.

I made a point of driving our electric cart, lights on over to the site in question. As I went I noticed that the coyotes were howling quite close to the campground. As I arrived on site the young folks let loose with an imitation of the coyotes, to see if they could get the real coyotes to respond. As it turns out, the young people were from the city and did not know that coyotes will reply to even a fair imitation of their calls. There were no drunks and in fact all that it really was is a case of young campers who didn't think because they were enthralled with the wildlife! In fact, when I approached, they not only apologized to me, but they went across to the two ladies and did the same there. The immediately doused the fire and all went to bed with a great deal of embarrassment for having failed to think!

You might be surprised by how often such things are just failure to think and nothing more. But there are times when people do become angry so it is usually best if a uniformed person deals with such problems.

9. towgunner1

towgunner1
    Expand Collapse

Hello...Park ranger...This is site such and such...I have a noise complaint...yes the people at site so and so are making an awful racket after hours. Can you help me please?...Thanks.

It's not being rude. Not too many people go camping to hear a dog barking all night long or people making use of their outside speakers late at night. Most people are friendly and will comply once told. Hey, When your drunk, you really don't know how loud you are and how bad you can sing hehheh. I am a rock star.....when I'm drunk. B)

10. Tallboy

Tallboy
    Expand Collapse

Like the others said go to the ranger or park host.

Myself, since I have workamped at private parks and have had to talk to these people. I go out and try to talk to them. Most of the time it's a barking dog, not parties. Sometimes it works, sometimes not. Even as a workamper at a campground. 99.9% are okay with it. They shut it down The .1%, are a problem. 100% of them is a male and they want to argue about it. A good strong flashlight in the eyes has helped. But there are a few I haven't even been able to get it through their dead brain and have to walk away. Report them to the park owners the next day.

11. KentuckyCampin

KentuckyCampin
    Expand Collapse

To me this is THE thing I hate about RV camping!!!!! You pay money to go out and enjoy a weekend with your family and you have to put up with inconsiderate, loudmouthed, and/or drunk morons!!!!

I have zero tolerance for it and have on numerous occasions gone to the offending campsite and ask them if they have any idea what time it is? And since it is so late, everyone else in the campground is trying to sleep and to please shut it down for the night!!!! Most of the time they do, but occasionally you get those idiots that want to cuss you out and just outright become total A-holes!! Thats when I wish I could just take a baseball bat and......you get the idea!!!
    Most of the time, it is younger adults that think they can go to a campground and party all night long and be loud and obnoxious. I have done some pretty evil things to people like this who want to make it miserable for everyone in the campgrounds, and its pretty gratifying the next day!!! :ph34r:
    Usually the campground host will come around and tell them to shut it off. And I have been to campgrounds where the only time you ever see the host was during check in!!!! I usually do not revisit those campgrounds.

But yes you are right, nothing worse than to have to listen to a bunch of nasty rap music with very harsh lyrics and drunks cussing up a storm. Especially if you have children!!
    Makes you wonder the future of our country with this generation of people!!!! Im not very happy with it!!

12. HappiestCamper

HappiestCamper
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(KentuckyCampin @ Oct 21 2009, 08:05 PM) [snapback]19681[/snapback]

I have done some pretty evil things to people like this who want to make it miserable for everyone in the campgrounds, and its pretty gratifying the next day!!! :ph34r:

Aw, you can't leave it like that without telling us the details! You might end up with an army of RVer's keeping these clowns in line! Share with us please!

13. KentuckyCampin

KentuckyCampin
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(HappiestCamper @ Oct 22 2009, 09:53 AM) [snapback]19689[/snapback]

Aw, you can't leave it like that without telling us the details! You might end up with an army of RVer's keeping these clowns in line! Share with us please!

Well lets just say entire coolers may have come up missing with all the contents......., water spigots might have been turned on for those in tents.........., rain flies may have came loose in the middle of the night during rain showers..............

14. dalsgal

dalsgal
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(KentuckyCampin @ Oct 23 2009, 07:41 AM) [snapback]19707[/snapback]

Well lets just say entire coolers may have come up missing with all the contents......., water spigots might have been turned on for those in tents.........., rain flies may have came loose in the middle of the night during rain showers..............

To me that behavior is as bad or worse than what you were fighting against. Seeking revenge in such a manner is uncalled for and very immature. I would bet that anyone that would behave that way was also the same type of behavior when they were younger that they were punishing someone else for now.

15. KentuckyCampin

KentuckyCampin
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(dalsgal @ Oct 23 2009, 10:02 AM) [snapback]19709[/snapback]

To me that behavior is as bad or worse than what you were fighting against. Seeking revenge in such a manner is uncalled for and very immature. I would bet that anyone that would behave that way was also the same type of behavior when they were younger that they were punishing someone else for now.

Well you couldnt be farther from the truth!! People who could care less about you or I are a new generation. It seems anymore that is the norm. I am not a passive person. I have learned through life lessons not to sit around and take crap from anyone! That is the problem with society today. We have too many passive people who will not do anything for themselves nor take up for themselves. I will not subject my family to a bunch of morons who need a good A$$ kicking!!! I spent 20+ years in the Army learning how to take care of myself and my family. I WILL NOT stand by while ignorant, selfish, disrespectful, people make my life miserable!!! I will not take it, and if no one else will take care of people like that, too bad!! However, I will, and do!! I have no qualms with asking people politely to turn down music etc.... My beef is with that small percentage that has to get in your face and act uncivilized when you ask them to turn down the music, yelling, cussing, etc...
    Those people are lucky that I am no longer as hot headed when I was younger. I found out a long time ago that drunk loudmouths fall pretty easy, and had no problems dealing with them.
    I was raised to respect people, but I do not respect people who do not respect me or others around them. If you think that kind of behavior is ok, then so be it, that is your opinion.
    I was in Cub Scouts and Boy Scouts up to age 18, then joined the Army and spent 20 years there in a combat job as a tanker. I assure you, I have been camping probably more than most of you on this forum, and I guarantee that I never disrespected anyone in a campground like that!!!
    So dont judge me, you have no right to judge me, you dont even know me. And let me guess, your a liberal?

16. BBear

BBear
    Expand Collapse

Hmmm, trying to figure out which would be worse, camping next to a bunch of loud-mouthed drunks or a hot-headed camper with anger issues...LOL!

17. KentuckyCampin

KentuckyCampin
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(BBear @ Oct 23 2009, 08:42 PM) [snapback]19714[/snapback]

Hmmm, trying to figure out which would be worse, camping next to a bunch of loud-mouthed drunks or a hot-headed camper with anger issues...LOL!

I would only be an angry hot-head if you were the loud-mouthed drunk!!

18. BBear

BBear
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(KentuckyCampin @ Oct 23 2009, 06:36 PM) [snapback]19715[/snapback]

I would only be an angry hot-head if you were the loud-mouthed drunk!!

No, thank you. :lol:

19. KentuckyCampin

KentuckyCampin
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(BBear @ Oct 24 2009, 12:07 AM) [snapback]19719[/snapback]

No, thank you. :lol:

Well then, we would probably have a great time at the campgrounds!!! :D

20. BBear

BBear
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(KentuckyCampin @ Oct 24 2009, 05:39 AM) [snapback]19723[/snapback]

Well then, we would probably have a great time at the campgrounds!!! :D

We probably would. :) I understand where you're coming from, but at least for the safety of those I'm camping with and also myself, I wouldn't confront a bunch of loud-mouthed drunks much less go onto their campsite and take a cooler or turn on the water, etc...., to me that's just asking for more trouble. And, you never know what they'd do in return. I, personally, would notify law enforcement or a park ranger, but, again, that's just me.

I frequent a lot of state parks and in PA having alcohol is prohibited and while that doesn't stop campers from bringing it into the campgrounds and consuming it, it does seem to cut down on the irresponsible drinking to a large extent.

Beginning November 1st, alcohol will be banned in Maryland state park campgrounds unless you obtain a permit that cost $35.00 and can only be used at designated locations, such as a park shelter. According to their policy, you can't even consume alcohol in your trailer, tent, pop-up or camping cabins...the only exceptions are the full service cabins and motorhomes...yes, motorhomes...they have some type of law that exempts motorhomes, lol...go figure. I've read on another forum where campers with reservations after November 1st have recently been contacted by Maryland DNR to remind them of the new policy. I just wonder exactly how they're going to implement such a policy....I can't see them checking inside every travel trailer, tent, pop-up or camping cabin to make sure no one is drinking.

I don't drink alcoholic beverages while camping, so this doesn't affect me any way, I will still frequent MD state parks, but I've read where some will not go there any more if they're not allowed to responsibly have a beer or an alcoholic beverage at their site and cause no trouble. I do understand what they're saying...it seems though just because the irresponsibility of a few drinkers everyone who drinks will pay the price.

And, honestly, if MD DNR really wanted to have the safety in mind, I can't see why they'd offer "permits"...seems to me, that just sounds like another way to make a few $$$'s and has nothing to do with safety of the campers.