German Camper Needs Help

Discussion in 'General Community Discussions' started by Katzenfellschnauze, Oct 13, 2009.

1. Katzenfellschnauze

Katzenfellschnauze
    Expand Collapse

Hello,
    I live in Germany and visit the U.S. next year. Since I'm a big football fan and still will not give up the vacation, I'm looking for a dish portable satellite.
    We rent a motor home feet 31, which is already integrated into a television.
    We need a receiver, a portable satellite dish and a subscription to satellite for a month.
    Who can help me and what does it all together. We need cheap things because we are only one month in the U.S..
    Please help us.
    Thank you!
    Tino from Germany

2. Katzenfellschnauze

Katzenfellschnauze
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(Katzenfellschnauze @ Oct 13 2009, 02:40 PM) [snapback]19511[/snapback]

Hello,
    I live in Germany and visit the U.S. next year. Since I'm a big football fan and still will not give up the vacation, I'm looking for a dish portable satellite.
    We rent a motor home feet 31, which is already integrated into a television.
    We need a receiver, a portable satellite dish and a subscription to satellite for a month.
    Who can help me and what does it all together. We need cheap things because we are only one month in the U.S..
    Please help us.
    Thank you!
    Tino from Germany

Sorry, I'm soccer fan and the football World Cup held in South Africa.

Thanks
    Tino

3. Trentheim

Trentheim
    Expand Collapse

I would suggest looking on Ebay or another auction site and buying a used, yet inexpensive, satellite receiver and dish. Then you buy the subscription from whichever company that is compatible with the receiver. Please be sure to check out the dish company first to make sure they broadcast your *ahem* kicky-ball sport ;)

4. John Blue

John Blue
    Expand Collapse

Tino,

This will be a hard item to find. The motorhomes you rent will not have Sat. systems in place. It would make no sense to buy a system for one month. Sat. people will ask for one year contact to own a system. Only way to get around this problem would to use cable TV. If you travel into Nat Parks this will not work. The private parks may have the cable TV in some places. May be better to look at the birds in park and look at the games at a later date.

5. Trentheim

Trentheim
    Expand Collapse

There is the possibility of streaming games over the internet. I know that Verizon and Sprint (cell carriers) each have something called MiFi, which is a 3G receiver/WiFi broadcaster. If you're adept enough, you could even feed the video from a computer into the TV on the RV. I have no idea if this method would be economical, but it is possible.

6. RV Camper1

RV Camper1
    Expand Collapse

While I don't want to spread bad news, I don't believe that there is a way to get satellite TV service in the US for one month only. There is some European football broadcast on satellite TV services here, but the selection is poor so you probably would have difficulty in finding the games you want if you do find a way.

I think that your best bet would be to try and stay in RV parks that supply cable TV when there are games on which you want to watch. Perhaps someone might know of a better solution?

We use cellular internet service and that is what I am on at this moment. To get that requires a minimum of one year contract if you buy the equipment, and two years if they supply it free. There are many RV parks that do have internet access, usually by Wifi now and that might be a better answer than the cable TV I mentioned before.

7. RLM

RLM
    Expand Collapse

Tino> The "cheap thing" way is to find yourself an American sports bar along your route that has plenty of TVs and lots of sports channels. In order to do so you will need to be near a larger city for a day or two.

Viel Glück.

8. John Blue

John Blue
    Expand Collapse

RLM.

Change it to Viel Glüeck = Good Luck. :)

Great plan to see the games anyplace you go as sports bars are everyplace.

9. wpr

wpr
    Expand Collapse

Sorry John B, but RLM is correct. You can write Glueck if you are unable to produce the ü of the normal Glück, but not both....

10. Denali

Denali
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(Kirk @ Oct 15 2009, 02:14 PM) [snapback]19550[/snapback]
    We use cellular internet service and that is what I am on at this moment. To get that requires a minimum of one year contract if you buy the equipment, and two years if they supply it free.
    There are ways to get cellular Internet access for just a month, but they aren't cheap.

One is Millenicom. They have various plans and promotions, some of which include buying hardware and some don't.

You could also buy a Verizon compatible phone on eBay, sign up for a voice plan for a month, then get Mobile Broadband Connect for $49.99/month for 5 GB of data.

There are others as well. Take a look at the Internet By Cell Phone Yahoo forum for postings by folks that have found them advertised.

11. bigredoes

bigredoes
    Expand Collapse

Guten Morgan

A few years ago I had the good fortune to be in Europe during France's World Cup. It was a great experience finding bierstube's that had the games on big screens. I enjoyed watching the games and making 'friends' from all over the world. It was the same in Germany, France and England - it was a blast.

Your best bet for watching the World Cup is probably as mentioned earlier - you will need to scout out sports bars that will be showing the games. It won't be like the intensity you would feel at home as us American still haven't taken to the game, but you should still have fun and meet some new friends of your own. My guess would be that if you are there to watch the German national team you will be surrounded by other German folks and you will have a good experience....unless of course England wins!! LOL

Think I will head to South Africa........

12. Katzenfellschnauze

Katzenfellschnauze
    Expand Collapse

Hello,
    thanks for the many replies. We will be mainly in Florida on the road and stay mostly in state parks. Unfortunately, this Campgrounds no cable TV. So I can assume that I can without a contract with Direct TV or another provider enem not see a satellite TV. The games are in the U.S. live above ground and thus transferred into the morning hours. I wanted to look me in the repetition of the games in the evening, as we are during the day on the road trip. The RV tour is going on, of course.
    Thank you!
    Tino

13. RLM

RLM
    Expand Collapse

John Blue> I spent a couple years in Germany. My beer drinking and appetite for the food is much better than my command of the language.

Katzenfellschaauze> In America we have a saying that goes like this..”You can’t have your cake and eat it too.” That means you can have either the football or the enjoyment of the RV trip, but not both. If you cannot get to a sports bar, then maybe someone can tape the games on video or DVR.

I like American football, but I’d swap the entire Dallas season for one day at Octoberfest eating Schweinsbraten, Würstl, Rotkraut, dancing on tables, and washing it down with some Spaten Oktoberfest.