Family Friendly Campgrounds

Discussion in 'Destinations and RV Parks' started by coacbcps, Oct 15, 2009.

1. coacbcps

coacbcps
    Expand Collapse

Why do some camp grounds advertise that they are family friendly then charge a per child/per night fee? :( Twice I was suckered into staying at camp grounds that charged for kids. We were camping with a group and I wasn't aware of the extra charge since I didn't place the initial reservation. You would think that they would at least give you two kids for free. At both campgrounds I had to pay for the children but the DOG was FREE! :p It's very irritating because I see one price ($35) but end up paying up to $10 more for my girls. It might be psychological but I hate having to pay extra for my children. At a "family friendly" camp ground my children should be acknowledged as being part of my family! What are your thoughts?

2. summerland

summerland
    Expand Collapse

I agree with you, but unfortunately its a business and a very common practice. If a child is over 5, they usually are charged for.

3. Tom

Tom
    Expand Collapse

This just happened to us this year, for the first time. All campgrounds we've stayed in over the years have included up to 6 people, more if they are immediate family. There are usually restrictions about extra tents or campers per site.

Late this summer we stayed at a Very expensive campground, and the rates are for only 2 (TWO) people! Anyone "extra" costs extra. A family of 4 has to pay for two "extra" people. It really left a bad taste for me, and a much lighter wallet.

We still camp with our pre-16 year old teenaged kids. I guess I could see getting charged extra if they were older, but I won't be thrilled about it.

I agree, a "family" campground should include immediate family members in the fee, at least 4 people and preferably up to 6. Otherwise they should describe their campground differently.

4. nicki

nicki
    Expand Collapse

They should only charge for your children if it has been made clear in advance that this is their policy, either on their website or on the phone when making the reservation. I think all of the CG's I have stayed at who charge a per-child fee were upfront about it in advance. I feel the fee is justifiable if they offer free amenities that typically children would be mostly using. That way, child-free adult campers aren't paying for amenities they will never use. Even so, I would feel very duped if this charge were sprung on me at check-in time.

5. coacbcps

coacbcps
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(Tom @ Oct 19 2009, 08:30 AM) [snapback]19605[/snapback]

This just happened to us this year, for the first time. All campgrounds we've stayed in over the years have included up to 6 people, more if they are immediate family. There are usually restrictions about extra tents or campers per site.

Late this summer we stayed at a Very expensive campground, and the rates are for only 2 (TWO) people! Anyone "extra" costs extra. A family of 4 has to pay for two "extra" people. It really left a bad taste for me, and a much lighter wallet.

We still camp with our pre-16 year old teenaged kids. I guess I could see getting charged extra if they were older, but I won't be thrilled about it.

I agree, a "family" campground should include immediate family members in the fee, at least 4 people and preferably up to 6. Otherwise they should describe their campground differently.

So it's not just me . . . it left a bad taste for me as well. To me the word "family" implies more than two . . . TWO is a COUPLE. To some reading this post, $5 per child might not sound like much but it adds up over a weeklong stay.

6. meatwagon45

meatwagon45
    Expand Collapse

To me, this is not "family friendly". More like friendly for cash. I understand it costs money to run a campground and added people add stress to the sanitary services, but the line needs to be drawn somewhere. Any campground advertising that they are "family friendly" and charge for kids would get an automatic negative review. They should be honest and raise their rates so a family would not be caught with the rate hike surprise. If you end up staying after they jack the rate, talk to other campers at the campground about it. If others hear the dissatisfaction, they too will make some noise.

7. languiduck

languiduck
    Expand Collapse

I feel the same way. In fact I'm at the point now where I will absolutely refuse to book or stay at a CG that charges extra for small children. If that's how they are, then I already know I don't want to stay there. Another reason why I am thankful for my VA state parks.

8. Galli

Galli
    Expand Collapse

Well, yes I believe that's annoying having to pay these extra charges, I don't know to the place that you go but when I sign the winter contract, in my agreement it is specified the number of persons allowed to occupy the spot, therefore, if you agreement read with the same conditions !!! it is part of the contract.

9. meatwagon45

meatwagon45
    Expand Collapse

All of my camping is on weekends only. We do not go seasonal or really spend more than 3 nights in our trailer. If I see a campground advertising that they are a family or family friendly campground, I will visit them. That said, if they tell me I need to pay more for my 3 year old daughter or my 1 year old son due to "extra services" then I will not be staying.

If a campground is respectable and makes it clear in their advertising that kids cost X more, then fine, they are letting me know in advance. What that tells me is either their rates are going to be the lowest in the area for 2 adults, or they do not want kids there.

10. Galli

Galli
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(meatwagon45 @ Oct 25 2009, 08:45 PM) [snapback]19741[/snapback]

All of my camping is on weekends only. We do not go seasonal or really spend more than 3 nights in our trailer. If I see a campground advertising that they are a family or family friendly campground, I will visit them. That said, if they tell me I need to pay more for my 3 year old daughter or my 1 year old son due to "extra services" then I will not be staying.

If a campground is respectable and makes it clear in their advertising that kids cost X more, then fine, they are letting me know in advance. What that tells me is either their rates are going to be the lowest in the area for 2 adults, or they do not want kids there.

I understand that you are upset but unfortunately, I cannot agree with you, Family friendly it means that they accept children and should be inclined to deal with family necessity, however, that's not dealing with the number of persons eligible to be at the camp.
    I honestly would act like you , namely, next time I shall look for a place more reasonable but as long as the contract for staying specifies the number of people, they can charge you for any head above said number.
    One thing there is to consider, you may go there with one extra person/child and you are upset for being charge for it, let’s say they let the child stay free, the next one may have two, other with three other again with… etc.., where do we draw the line ?
    If I may give you a suggestion, before moving to a specific campsite why don't you call them to clarify this subject ?
    The issue concerning the extra charge, I believe may be based on the fact that extra people implies more persons in the swimming pool, using more hot water in showers, if the electricity is included in the daily rates, extra person uses more electricity and other facilities that were evaluated per cost per site including a specific number of people.
    I agree with you but, we also have to see their position, they are there to make money and if we change the contract conditions, they have the right to collect the extra .
    I am sorry…., I would be upset like you but I cannot criticize the owner.

11. endofrope

endofrope
    Expand Collapse

I have stopped visiting campgrounds that charge extra for more than 2 people, or for children. Most state parks (in California and Utah for sure) and all National Parks charge a flat fee, and extra for a dog, or more than two vehicles. If private campgrounds want to gouge their guests, they will have to do so without my business.

12. mdcamping

mdcamping
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

I certainly don't like paying the extra per night for kids, and I agree that family resort style campgrounds rates should be based on a family of four or more.

I've never stayed away from any campground because of that policy, However what I look for is how maintained,staffed,amenities and most importantly ( for me at least ) security...campgrounds that will enforce it...IMO

Mike

13. KentuckyCampin

KentuckyCampin
    Expand Collapse

I am with the majority here!!! If a campground charges extra for my kids, then we will not stay there. I can see some charging for anyone that is not immediate family, but not for my kids.
    Those campgrounds do not get my business. Camping for us is a family oriented way for us to spend good quality time together, and IMHO, a campground that will charge extra per child is just gouging campers. :D

14. KentuckyCampin

KentuckyCampin
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(Galli @ Oct 26 2009, 12:54 AM) [snapback]19745[/snapback]

I understand that you are upset but unfortunately, I cannot agree with you, Family friendly it means that they accept children and should be inclined to deal with family necessity, however, that's not dealing with the number of persons eligible to be at the camp.
    I honestly would act like you , namely, next time I shall look for a place more reasonable but as long as the contract for staying specifies the number of people, they can charge you for any head above said number.
    One thing there is to consider, you may go there with one extra person/child and you are upset for being charge for it, let’s say they let the child stay free, the next one may have two, other with three other again with… etc.., where do we draw the line ?
    If I may give you a suggestion, before moving to a specific campsite why don't you call them to clarify this subject ?
    The issue concerning the extra charge, I believe may be based on the fact that extra people implies more persons in the swimming pool, using more hot water in showers, if the electricity is included in the daily rates, extra person uses more electricity and other facilities that were evaluated per cost per site including a specific number of people.
    I agree with you but, we also have to see their position, they are there to make money and if we change the contract conditions, they have the right to collect the extra .
    I am sorry…., I would be upset like you but I cannot criticize the owner.

I have to disagree with you on the price of water and electricity.
    I have numerous friends who live in apartments and their highest electric bill is $60 and water around $25. And that is for 1 month. If a campground has say 45 sites and charge $35 per night, and those sites are full over a typical weekend, that is $3150 in two days!!!! And there are typically 4 weekends per month, that is $12,600!!! Not a bad take for a month!
    There is no way a typical family of 4 can use $70 worth of electric and water in 2 days.
    Granted, a campground has other bills it must pay to stay in business, however, not every campground has a pool.
    I know, trash pick-up, employees, etc. etc. etc. also come into play, but I just feel that this is another way for some campgrounds to make an extra ton of money!! Because even if they charged $5 per kid, a family of four is now spending $90 for a weekend. Thats a big difference in overall income for the campground. $4050 for the weekend if all sites have 4 or more people camping, and $16,200 for the month. That does not even include campers who stay during the week as well!!!!! If all 45 sites were full all month long and ran AC, The campground still comes out waaaay on top! For a family of 3 in all 45 sites for 30 days, that is $54K for the month. No way could the campground have an electric bill even close to that!!!!!!
    I know, this is unrealistic for a campground to be full all the time, but Im just making a point. Granted that most campgrounds are pretty much empty through the week, and make most of their money on the weekend campers, is an honest assessment. But if no one is camping during the week, then there is no electric and water usage.
    So do you see my argument??

So I cant agree with you on this one, no way, no how!!! :angry:

15. Galli

Galli
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(KentuckyCampin @ Oct 28 2009, 06:05 PM) [snapback]19785[/snapback]

I have to disagree with you on the price of water and electricity.
    I have numerous friends who live in apartments and their highest electric bill is $60 and water around $25. And that is for 1 month. If a campground has say 45 sites and charge $35 per night, and those sites are full over a typical weekend, that is $3150 in two days!!!! And there are typically 4 weekends per month, that is $12,600!!! Not a bad take for a month!
    There is no way a typical family of 4 can use $70 worth of electric and water in 2 days.
    Granted, a campground has other bills it must pay to stay in business, however, not every campground has a pool.
    I know, trash pick-up, employees, etc. etc. etc. also come into play, but I just feel that this is another way for some campgrounds to make an extra ton of money!! Because even if they charged $5 per kid, a family of four is now spending $90 for a weekend. Thats a big difference in overall income for the campground. $4050 for the weekend if all sites have 4 or more people camping, and $16,200 for the month. That does not even include campers who stay during the week as well!!!!! If all 45 sites were full all month long and ran AC, The campground still comes out waaaay on top! For a family of 3 in all 45 sites for 30 days, that is $54K for the month. No way could the campground have an electric bill even close to that!!!!!!
    I know, this is unrealistic for a campground to be full all the time, but Im just making a point. Granted that most campgrounds are pretty much empty through the week, and make most of their money on the weekend campers, is an honest assessment. But if no one is camping during the week, then there is no electric and water usage.
    So do you see my argument??

So I cant agree with you on this one, no way, no how!!! :angry:

Hi, I like your breakdown of costs and as I said in my first message, If I find anything more convenient, I shall go there myself, however and notwithstanding that, if the cost per day per RV site is based of a specific amount per (i.e. 2; 3; 4; ..etc of people) it means that, they have the right to charge an extra.
    A camp side is an agreement submitted to you before taking possession of the spot and if you do change the conditions, they change the price.
    One thing I cannot debate with you is the breakdown that you provided in your message first of all, how do you know the cost of the water or electricity, taxes or staff service in a specific part of the world/America is similar among Florida; California or Texas or...... and the location of the camp may have a different commercial value depending of the location, size and facilities; in final, your calculation may be accurate for the full capacity of the campsite but you didn't account for the time that the camp is half empty and they still have to provide all these service.
    In closing , I appreciate that you don't agree with me, debating an issue among intelligent and educated persons is always a pleasure and there is always some thing to learn a each end of the conversation.
    Regards,
    Galli

16. dalsgal

dalsgal
    Expand Collapse

One thing that makes a difference in apartments and campers is the amount of insulation. We had a couple here for three years and their camper was new and in good shape. They were hooked up to a spot where the electrical box was for their site alone. Their electric bill this past summer was over $200.00 a month....for two people. Campers do tend to use more electricity than a well insulated home. When I looked back over the bills for the last 2 years I saw that it ran that high almost every month that they were here.

17. kcmoedoe

kcmoedoe
    Expand Collapse

I can understand where both sides come in. It surely does run up the daily tab to have to pay for extra people and it surely costs the campground more. There is a third side to this triangle. Parks that charge extra for children tend to have a lot less children in the park, advantage KCMOEDOE. I prefer to visit the zoo, not stay in the middle of one. I purposely choose parks that do not cater to families. That being said, a park can be "family friendly" and not be a three ring circus. A pool, a game room, a playground or just the fact that they are not exclusively for 55 and older can make a park "family friendly". I also agree with several other posters, just where would you draw the line before charging? What if the Brady Bunch showed up with 6 kids? John and Kate and their 8? How about Octomom and her 11? It may be a good experience for them, but it would make my stay miserable if I was next door. I never have a problem with a business that is upfront about their pricing. If I don't like it, my rig has wheels. I would expect a park that charges extra for extra people to be upfront with that fact. If they are, I can make an informed decision. Apparently, charging for children is working for the parks that are doing it, because they are still in business.

18. Galli

Galli
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(kcmoedoe @ Oct 29 2009, 10:11 AM) [snapback]19792[/snapback]

I can understand where both sides come in. It surely does run up the daily tab to have to pay for extra people and it surely costs the campground more. There is a third side to this triangle. Parks that charge extra for children tend to have a lot less children in the park, advantage KCMOEDOE. I prefer to visit the zoo, not stay in the middle of one. I purposely choose parks that do not cater to families. That being said, a park can be "family friendly" and not be a three ring circus. A pool, a game room, a playground or just the fact that they are not exclusively for 55 and older can make a park "family friendly". I also agree with several other posters, just where would you draw the line before charging? What if the Brady Bunch showed up with 6 kids? John and Kate and their 8? How about Octomom and her 11? It may be a good experience for them, but it would make my stay miserable if I was next door. I never have a problem with a business that is upfront about their pricing. If I don't like it, my rig has wheels. I would expect a park that charges extra for extra people to be upfront with that fact. If they are, I can make an informed decision. Apparently, charging for children is working for the parks that are doing it, because they are still in business.

.I think that the main problem is of not reading the agreement before taking possession, I agree with you, if I find to many children I change place since I am more inclined to stay in parks mainly for adults

19. olivercamper

olivercamper
    Expand Collapse

We own a campground, however, we travel in the winter. I feel your pain....why does a campground want to charge " extra" for cable and wi-fi? Those two items are now a part of the camping experience and should be included in the rate.

Our rate includes water ,electric, cable, sewer, wi-fi and up to 4 people over the age of 5. We feel this is fair to both our busines and our campers. Our rate of $35.00 provides a great clean safe place for your family to camp!

While we do not travel with children we have heard your same comments over and over....the rate should include the average household number of children. We agree!

Perhaps speaking with the offending campground will make a difference when they review their business plan and rate structure.

20. brep

brep
    Expand Collapse

I am an owner of a park and have struggled with this issue for the past few years. We did, finally, decide to charge for children this year.

Our thinking is this. Why should a family of 2 have to pay as much as a family with 2 to 4 children? There are multiple costs to having all of the extras we have to provide for the little ones. We do not think it fair to overcharge couples so that little ones can be free.

I understand how the families feel but we have to be fair to everyone, don't we? :unsure: