Family Friendly Campgrounds

Discussion in 'Destinations and RV Parks' started by coacbcps, Oct 15, 2009.

1. grim509

grim509
    Expand Collapse

I noticed some people saying it's ok to charge per kid. Yet, they also complain if they have to pay extra for cable and/or wi-fi. Why shouldn't you? Not everyone uses cable or wi-fi.

Hotels do not charge per person staying in the room. Yes, they limit the number of people, but that is usually due to fire codes.

I have no problem if they're upfront about extra costs for kids (I have 5, it's nice to know ahead of time lol). I've been to campgrounds where no mention was made on the website of this policy, nothing was said when reservations were made, then BAM at check in, I find out I'm paying $15 more a night on a weeklong stay because they snuck it in there.

I would actually like to see a rate for singles, couples, couple up to 3 kids. THEN they can tack on per child after.

2. MinnysodaRVer

MinnysodaRVer
    Expand Collapse

As a park owner & operator and fellow RV'er, I can understand why some people are put off by a park claiming to be kid-friendly but charging extra for kids. Charging for kids is pretty common in the industry. I think the biggest culprit is the park in question didn't clearly spell out the additional fees for kids. Family-friendly refers more to the amenities that are suitable for children & families, but doesn't mean that kids stay free.

As an RV'er myself, I find the tack-on charges that aren't clearly communicated to be annoying. Want full-hookups? Have a dog? Need Wi-Fi? Things can add up in a hurry if you don't realize they're not included in the rate.

At my RV resort we have one flat rate. Everyone gets 50 amp, cable TV, wi-fi, concrete pad, and 4 people on the site. But as an RV resort owner you have to draw a line somewhere on the amount of people - if someone brought 8-10 people they're using a lot more electricity and producing more waste than the site with 2 people on it. The key is to communicate your rules & rates clearly to the consumer.

And keep in mind - it's a business with an extremely short cycle for income unlike a hotel. Most RV parks basically have 3 months to earn enough revenue to pay bills for the entire year. While you may think $16,000 of monthly revenue sounds like a lot, my RV resort would be bankrupt at that number.

3. brep

brep
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(grim509 @ Apr 13 2010, 11:33 AM) [snapback]21630[/snapback]

I noticed some people saying it's ok to charge per kid. Yet, they also complain if they have to pay extra for cable and/or wi-fi. Why shouldn't you? Not everyone uses cable or wi-fi.

Hotels do not charge per person staying in the room. Yes, they limit the number of people, but that is usually due to fire codes.

I have no problem if they're upfront about extra costs for kids (I have 5, it's nice to know ahead of time lol). I've been to campgrounds where no mention was made on the website of this policy, nothing was said when reservations were made, then BAM at check in, I find out I'm paying $15 more a night on a weeklong stay because they snuck it in there.

I would actually like to see a rate for singles, couples, couple up to 3 kids. THEN they can tack on per child after.

If we have a rate for singles, couples, couple up to 3 kids then you are still being charged for your children. Whay does it make a difference? And why should someone who chose to have 1 child pay the same price as you who has 3?

4. acenorm

acenorm
    Expand Collapse

I have a 1 & 3 year old and I tend to go to campgrounds that the price includes up to 4 people, ususally 2 adults and 2 children. I also have no problem with a couple of the campground owners on here who charge for kids over twelve. I think that is the way it should be, and the prices were $2 or $3 which is very acceptable. I will stay away from campgrounds that the rate is for only 2 people and children are extra no matter the age. I also don't agree with the OP idea that "family friendly" means you shouldn't charge for children, to me it means there are more extensive activities for children, not just a playground.

Best Regards,
    Norm

5. brep

brep
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(acenorm @ May 13 2010, 08:33 AM) [snapback]22078[/snapback]

I have a 1 & 3 year old and I tend to go to campgrounds that the price includes up to 4 people, ususally 2 adults and 2 children. I also have no problem with a couple of the campground owners on here who charge for kids over twelve. I think that is the way it should be, and the prices were $2 or $3 which is very acceptable. I will stay away from campgrounds that the rate is for only 2 people and children are extra no matter the age. I also don't agree with the OP idea that "family friendly" means you shouldn't charge for children, to me it means there are more extensive activities for children, not just a playground.

Best Regards,
    Norm

Keep an eye on the charges for 3 and unders also. I know that here we do not charge for anyone 3 and under.

6. acenorm

acenorm
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(brep @ May 13 2010, 10:43 AM) [snapback]22079[/snapback]

Keep an eye on the charges for 3 and unders also. I know that here we do not charge for anyone 3 and under.

I do that as well. I should have been clearer in my post.

Best Regards,
    Norm

7. grim509

grim509
    Expand Collapse

Looks like I reignited the fire a while back lol.

Again, you can't please everyone at once. There will always be people who complain wi-fi isn't included, or kids aren't included etc.

The fact of the matter is they should be upfront. I can guarantee that me, my wife, and 5 kids use less electricity and amenities than most. We are hardly at the campground. There are campers out there with nicer rigs than mine and just one person, who use more electricity and water than we do. THAT is why I think it should be a flat family rate up to 3 kids. Just because I have more kids, doesn't mean we use more resources.

Extra people put no more stress on a pool. The filters and pumps don't suddenly use more power because more people are there.

The campground also already stands to make more money off of me. From snacks at the snack bar, to souvineers, etc.

I say, put meters on the sites, and pay for actual usage. Flat rate for all, pay for what you use. It'd be the only fair way to do it, but you'll still have folks complain...

8. Trentheim

Trentheim
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(grim509 @ May 13 2010, 04:46 PM) [snapback]22093[/snapback]

The fact of the matter is they should be upfront. I can guarantee that me, my wife, and 5 kids use less electricity and amenities than most. We are hardly at the campground. There are campers out there with nicer rigs than mine and just one person, who use more electricity and water than we do. THAT is why I think it should be a flat family rate up to 3 kids. Just because I have more kids, doesn't mean we use more resources.

This is all I ask for. Just be up front with all the extra charges and don't hide anything. Vacationing is expensive enough as it is. When you have kids, it gets even more expensive.

QUOTE(grim509 @ May 13 2010, 04:46 PM) [snapback]22093[/snapback]

I say, put meters on the sites, and pay for actual usage. Flat rate for all, pay for what you use. It'd be the only fair way to do it, but you'll still have folks complain...

I like this idea too! It would be costly to implement (I believe), but very cool if you could pull it off.

9. JDcamper

JDcamper
    Expand Collapse

I think max 4 adults free on a site and up to 6 people (2 adults 3 kids under 17). I realize it is a business and especially those offering barbecues etc.. Need to make some money and the more/older the group the more they eat. More kids more stuff needed for planned activities etc.. However family campgrounds should include some kids in the base price.