Help Needed - Campground Must Haves From Rv'ers Point Of View

Discussion in 'Destinations and RV Parks' started by CSolo42, Oct 19, 2009.

1. CSolo42

CSolo42
    Expand Collapse

Hi all, I will be the manager of a new RV Park opening December 1, 2009. This will be a tourist destination point. It will sit on appr 375 acres and house an electronic bingo pavilions, country music artist owned and themed restaurants and dinner theaters, 2 amphitheatres for big name concerts, fairgrounds for small carnivals and such, a family fun center to include bowling, movie theaters, amusements, laser tag, and go-carting. There will also be a state of the art water park, resort hotels, an elite Bed & Breakfast, and a shopping center with name brand stores. I wanted you to know a little about the place so you could have a better understanding for your answers below.

If you don't mind could you please list the things most important to you that you look for when choosing a park to stay at as far as perks and amenities go. I would like to get up to 10 things you look for, but any amount will help, and if you could list them from most important on down it will help. Thank you.

2. CSolo42

CSolo42
    Expand Collapse

I really need some feedback on this if you don't mind helping. All I need is what's important to you and what you look for when looking for a park to visit, such as cable tv, wi-fi, grills, picnic tables, children's playground, pool, etc...I just need some ideas to present to the upper management on the things of this nature that we may not initially offer, but probably need to...Some things we have, some we don't..Just need to know what's important to RV'ers such as yourselves. Thanks.

3. HappiestCamper

HappiestCamper
    Expand Collapse

My feedback wouldn't really help you, since I prefer the state and federal CG's. About the only thing you listed that I would like to see is picnic table.

There are others here that can help you with your answers.

4. nicki

nicki
    Expand Collapse

For all of the attractions you plan to offer, I imagine that will be reflected in the price per night, and I can tell you without a doubt, when RVers pay a premium price they expect perfection. The restrooms/shower houses must be immaculate, so dedicate lots of your budget to the cleaning crew. Also, lots of good cable channels must be included--even though you will offer tons to do, it is always nice to unwind ands watch TV while turning in for the night. Free wifi that actually works will be a must as well. There are many RVers that prefer a quieter, more natural setting than the one you descibe, but I am intrigued by what you have described, and would certainly consider it for a special occasion weekend, such as a child's birthday weekend, or a family reunion, so maybe you should offer group packages or incentives, and meeting places for large groups. Make sure you are truly big rig friendly--many CG's say they are (meaning only that the campsites are long and/or wide) but the roads getting into them are winding and/or with low-hanging branches, making them NOT so big-rig friendly, so carefully plan for that.

What part of the country are you in? Can you tell us any specifics about this park yet? Is there a website yet?

Good luck! :)

5. abbygolden

abbygolden
    Expand Collapse

MY requirements are a long (at least 65'), level pad with ample distance (min of 10', preferably more) between neighbors, stable electric, FHU (50 amp), free wifi, hookups located where you don't have to run your wires/cables all over the place to connect them, pet-friendly, and a quiet location. If you have this PLUS a staff that seems to genuinely want you to be there, you can be successful. Oh, also you will have to be west of the Mississippi!

My needs are very simple. Others might also want to add cable, picnic table, fire rings (although with the family oriented park you are apparently planning, I don't think that's a great idea - others may), pet area, clean bathrooms and laundry, small pool/spa, game room, etc.

I don't need any of the frills and actually prefer an adult only park, but that isn't what you are looking for. I hope that those with children and who go to destination parks will chime in as well.

6. dalsgal

dalsgal
    Expand Collapse

People at any CG wants good customer service...no matter what. Train your employees that customer service isn't a department, it's an attitude. Teach them to never say to anyone "that's not my job" because if a customer wants/needs something then it is everyone's job to either do it or go directly and get the proper person to get it done immediately.

7. Florida Native

Florida Native
    Expand Collapse

Have you considered topless rangerettes? Actually the way you describe the new park, it will be eliminating a fairly large percentage of RV'ers. I think you will be getting the family crowd and the yuppie crowd coming in for the events. Many of the folks on thiis board are not in that catagory. I would suggest that you visit other parks of this nature and see whatthey offer. The Disney Park in Central Florida comes to mind. You will be getting big rigs and I suggest laying out the park for ease of traeling through, Good Luck in the new venture and please tell us the web address when you open.

8. telm59

telm59
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(CSolo42 @ Oct 19 2009, 10:17 PM) [snapback]19614[/snapback]

Hi all, I will be the manager of a new RV Park opening December 1, 2009. This will be a tourist destination point. It will sit on appr 375 acres and house a couple electronic bingo pavilions, country music artist owned and themed restaurants and dinner theaters, 2 amphitheatres for big name concerts, fairgrounds for small carnivals and such, a family fun center to include bowling, movie theaters, amusements, laser tag, and go-carting. There will also be a state of the art water park, resort hotels, an elite Bed & Breakfast, and a shopping center with name brand stores. I wanted you to know a little about the place so you could have a better understanding for your answers below.

If you don't mind could you please list the things most important to you that you look for when choosing a park to stay at as far as perks and amenities go. I would like to get up to 10 things you look for, but any amount will help, and if you could list them from most important on down it will help. Thank you.

well...considering when we camp it's just my husband and i.....and drinkers/partiers we are not!!!....so like a nice quiet spot (for the reading)....trees (for the shade)....fishing (for the husband!).....entertainment (definitely country!!).....but away from my site!!!!.....sorry it's only 4 likes....and where are you planning to open this park?.....much luck to you too!!!......oh!!!...thought of a couple of more that i saw on other posts....wifi (FREE) if possible..and cable tv.....i've been to some CG's that offer cable....but very limited though....also prefer if majority are RV's.....peeps with tents i find to be very party hardy!!!....and sloppy with clothes, towels, food and what nots everywhere......

9. RockHound

RockHound
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(CSolo42 @ Oct 19 2009, 10:17 PM) [snapback]19614[/snapback]

Hi all, I will be the manager of a new RV Park opening December 1, 2009. This will be a tourist destination point. It will sit on appr 375 acres and house a couple electronic bingo pavilions, country music artist owned and themed restaurants and dinner theaters, 2 amphitheatres for big name concerts, fairgrounds for small carnivals and such, a family fun center to include bowling, movie theaters, amusements, laser tag, and go-carting. There will also be a state of the art water park, resort hotels, an elite Bed & Breakfast, and a shopping center with name brand stores. I wanted you to know a little about the place so you could have a better understanding for your answers below.

Before I gave my input, I was wondering what kind of park this was going to be. Meaning, are you hoping for everyone from tenters to big rig RVers, or is this just going to be an RV resort?

10. Texasrvers

Texasrvers
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

Some of you have asked Csolo42 where his park is located. I need to clarify that owners/employees may not give out this information as it could be considered solicitation which we do not allow. Csolo42 is welcome to get your opinions about the "Must Haves" at his park, but he is not allowed to give the name or location.

11. Trentheim

Trentheim
    Expand Collapse

I think I'm one of the minority here (as someone has claimed). I am one of the "younger" campers on my first RV and have a 3 year old and soon will be adding a second child to the mix. As a camper with kid(s) I will list what my so far limited camping experiences have needed or had:

1) Cable TV w/ kid programming. Cartoon network, while not enjoyed by me, is a staple needed to keep the little ones entertained after quiet hours (be it the park's or the parent's) are initiated. PBS & Disney are good staples too. If you can get Nick Jr, please do so, because it has shows for the youngest of campers.

2) Playground. A big enough one for your expected crowds. Fence it if you can to limit avenues of escape for the kids.

3) Sell ice cream. Nothing like promising to buy ice cream if the kids behave.

4) Have a quiet camping loop (or two). Little kids often nod off early, and having a quieter atmosphere at night helps. A second loop could be set aside for those non-family campers who don't want the noise OR the children. ;)

5) Teenager activities. Nothing worse than a bored teen. Especially if they're someone else's. :D Unless of course, they're yours. :blink: Basketball court, swimming pool, canoes, something to occupy them. At the very least, find an area on the CG that gets clear and fast cell signals and mark it off as a good texting place. That alone should keep the teens busy for hours.

Yeah, some of these suggestions are a bit tongue-in-cheek, but they all have a good bit of seriousness in 'em too. Other things that are important to me as the guy who has to get set up ASAP when we get to the campground so everyone can go potty:

Level pad, good easy to find and easy to hook up septic, quick and easy hook ups in general.

Wi-Fi to me isn't as necessary, but if you advertise it, make sure you have a strong signal.

And I always find myself visiting the camp store. A good selection of RV necessities is a must.

JT

12. James C

James C
    Expand Collapse

Cable and wifi are nice, but mainly we like pleasant, quiet surroundings and plenty of space between us and the other campers, especially since this would be considered an end destination and not just an overnight. Activities can be a bonus as long as they don't contribute to noise too late into the night (e.g. the ampitheater).

13. telm59

telm59
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(James C @ Oct 21 2009, 02:41 PM) [snapback]19658[/snapback]

Cable and wifi are nice, but mainly we like pleasant, quiet surroundings and plenty of space between us and the other campers, especially since this would be considered an end destination and not just an overnight. Activities can be a bonus as long as they don't contribute to noise too late into the night (e.g. the ampitheater).

my kind of camping exactly!!!!!

14. MaineDon

MaineDon
    Expand Collapse

The most important thing for us is site size. We can't stand parks with everyone crammed together with absolutely no privacy. On-site water and electric are musts in private campgrounds for us....and trees and vegetation are nice. We don't use game rooms, miniature golf courses, horse shoe pits, etc. Solid WiFi signals are also important.

15. Park Manager

Park Manager
    Expand Collapse

With a destination that offers as much as you have described, it seems you are trying to provide amusement for all age levels of humans. In addition to the other posters' suggestions I would add this, a large off leash dog park! Many of us travel with our furry "babies"! Do you have room for doggie day care facilities? Or can you hire someone to offer dog sitting (they pick up the dog, walk or take them to the dog park supervised, and return them home. The large RV resorts are also supplying dog wash stations I've noticed! By the way, we have two large furry babies, so you can see why I make these suggestions :D

16. RLM

RLM
    Expand Collapse

From your description it would appear that this C/G is going to be one of those concrete subdivisions where one does not camp, but rather stays there to take advantage of the attractions and the price reflects the amenities. If that’s true, then I want to get my money’s worth and the customer service needs to be outstanding.
    1- Level, long, and wide sites with space between each.
    2- Perfect utilities. Lots of cable channels with a few premiums ones. No low voltage or high water pressure.
    3- Above average bath house and laundry preferably more than one for that size C/G.
    4- Picnic table preferable covered.
    5. Strong Wi-Fi in every corner of the C/G with more than one server so it doesn’t slow down with high occupancy and use.
    6- Trash pick-up service.
    7- Free or minimal charge continental breakfast. The nicer hotels do it so why not a campground?
    8- Security to include unnecessary noise elimination.
    9- Easy in and out access for large rigs.
    10- A nice brochure or daily newsletter that tells me what’s going on so I don’t have to ask several times.
    11- A volleyball court, horseshoe pit, and/or shuffle board would appeal to groups.
    12- Discounts on selected restaurants, golf course, shows, etc.

And here’s a novel idea which few campgrounds every do…let me pick my own available spot.

What I wouldn’t want is fire rings. I don’t care much for smoke in my rig from my neighbors camp fire when I'm not "camping." I also don’t like overhead street lamps on the corner of my site. I prefer it to be dark in the RV when I’m sleeping.

Now if you haven't figured it out by the other posts, there is no standard "most" important ranking. It's different for all of us. Customer service and getting our money's worth might just cover them all. However, when everyone wakes up grumpy because you flooded their RV with those street lights, that might be cause to adjust your thinking.

Good luck.

17. CSolo42

CSolo42
    Expand Collapse

Thank you all for your comments, and I have been reading and taking notes. I will come back and post more tomorrow, maybe tonight. Ya'll have confirmed a lot of things for me and given me even a few more ideas to work on. Thank you all who have posted and to those who may post.

18. CSolo42

CSolo42
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(RockHound @ Oct 21 2009, 11:45 AM) [snapback]19651[/snapback]

Before I gave my input, I was wondering what kind of park this was going to be. Meaning, are you hoping for everyone from tenters to big rig RVers, or is this just going to be an RV resort?

There will be no tents, it will be strictly RV's.

19. Emma

Emma
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(RLM @ Oct 21 2009, 03:54 PM) [snapback]19668[/snapback]

From your description it would appear that this C/G is going to be one of those concrete subdivisions where one does not camp, but rather stays there to take advantage of the attractions and the price reflects the amenities. If that’s true, then I want to get my money’s worth and the customer service needs to be outstanding.
    1- Level, long, and wide sites with space between each.
    2- Perfect utilities. Lots of cable channels with a few premiums ones. No low voltage or high water pressure.
    3- Above average bath house and laundry preferably more than one for that size C/G.
    4- Picnic table preferable covered.
    5. Strong Wi-Fi in every corner of the C/G with more than one server so it doesn’t slow down with high occupancy and use.
    6- Trash pick-up service.
    7- Free or minimal charge continental breakfast. The nicer hotels do it so why not a campground?
    8- Security to include unnecessary noise elimination.
    9- Easy in and out access for large rigs.
    10- A nice brochure or daily newsletter that tells me what’s going on so I don’t have to ask several times.
    11- A volleyball court, horseshoe pit, and/or shuffle board would appeal to groups.
    12- Discounts on selected restaurants, golf course, shows, etc.

And here’s a novel idea which few campgrounds every do…let me pick my own available spot.

What I wouldn’t want is fire rings. I don’t care much for smoke in my rig from my neighbors camp fire when I'm not "camping." I also don’t like overhead street lamps on the corner of my site. I prefer it to be dark in the RV when I’m sleeping.

Now if you haven't figured it out by the other posts, there is no standard "most" important ranking. It's different for all of us. Customer service and getting our money's worth might just cover them all. However, when everyone wakes up grumpy because you flooded their RV with those street lights, that might be cause to adjust your thinking.

Good luck.

Very nicely stated and well said. Thank you for taking the time to make this response. You echoed what I was thinking and hadn't put into words yet.

Emma

20. CSolo42

CSolo42
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(RLM @ Oct 21 2009, 03:54 PM) [snapback]19668[/snapback]

There won't be any fire rings at individual sites. I was thinking of maybe trying to get a community fire ring and pavilion with grills and picnic tables added. There is enough land where I feel we could get it in and keep it close enough to enjoy, but not close enough to be a nuisance. Would something like that be favorable? Also thought about trying to get a small stage put in that same area to have bands occasionally play early evening shows (the whole development is country music based and George Jones is one of the investors and a spokesperson with many more artists involved) and possibly do karaoke if enough interest. As for the last thing I mentioned, I'm not sure of everything RV'ers do and don't like so don't know if that would go over or not. Of course that is the main reason I joined here, for that type of valuable feedback. Thanks.