New Guy With An Old Camper

Discussion in 'General Community Discussions' started by NorthernIllinoisPlumber, Jan 25, 2010.

1. NorthernIllinoisPlumber

NorthernIllinoisPlumber
    Expand Collapse

Hey there. I just thought of posting some pics of our 1988 Jayco. A little dated, it is clean and well maintained. We bought it in southern Wisconsin a couple years ago.

Attached Files:

2. grim509

grim509
    Expand Collapse

Nice! Just wondering, though, how on earth do you keep it so clean looking? Ours is a mid 90s and the paint has oxidized and the decals are wearing off, making it look a little more beat up than it actually is.

Any info on exterior cosmetic upkeep?

3. NorthernIllinoisPlumber

NorthernIllinoisPlumber
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(grim509 @ Jan 26 2010, 01:50 PM) [snapback]20761[/snapback]

Nice! Just wondering, though, how on earth do you keep it so clean looking? Ours is a mid 90s and the paint has oxidized and the decals are wearing off, making it look a little more beat up than it actually is.

Any info on exterior cosmetic upkeep?

Thanks for the compliment. I dont do anything to it except wash it twice a year, and it is stored outside. Do a search of your year, maybe there was a paint flaw?

4. Jerry S

Jerry S
    Expand Collapse

Just a thought from an outsider: Maybe, being from NJ, grim's popup hasn't weathered as well because of exposure to coastal sea air and it's high salt content. NoIL's vehicle has probably never been subjected to this salty air.

5. Jerry S

Jerry S
    Expand Collapse

Just a thought from an outsider: Maybe, being from NJ, grim's popup hasn't weathered as well because of exposure to coastal sea air and it's high salt content. NoIL's vehicle has probably never been subjected to this salty air.

Just to clarify a bit: I know the air, per se, is not salty, but many situations when there is high moisture content (rain, mist , fog) in coastal areas results in salty precipitation. Even the morning dew on the coast has a bit of salt in it.

6. grim509

grim509
    Expand Collapse

Good point, Jerry. Never really thought about that. We bought ours used and got a real good price on it, I think because the previous owners didn't take the best care of it. Hopefully, another couple of years, and we'll be able to get a newer one.

None of the campers my family have had (this is my first, but as a kid we went through several) had the greatest paint jobs. Would waxing it do anything for it, or would I just be wasting energy?

7. NorthernIllinoisPlumber

NorthernIllinoisPlumber
    Expand Collapse

You are probably right. Salt can damage just about anything. I cant imagine a wax job would be a waste of time.

8. mdcamping

mdcamping
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

A friend of mine has an older 80's trailer. He's taken care of it over the years but what he noticed was after waxing it over the years he noticed the paint and decals were starting to wear off so now he just uses soap & water.

His thinking was when the paint gets to a certain point because of age that it's going to start breaking down or wearing off

Mike

9. Sunny_0ne

Sunny_0ne
    Expand Collapse

That popup looks like real camping! And it looks great for its age.

Hope you make a lot of great memories in it! :)

10. coacbcps

coacbcps
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(NorthernIllinoisPlumber @ Jan 26 2010, 02:21 AM) [snapback]20758[/snapback]

Hey there. I just thought of posting some pics of our 1988 Jayco. A little dated, it is clean and well maintained. We bought it in southern Wisconsin a couple years ago.

I'm glad someone else is as proud of their popup as I am of ours. When I read these posts it seems as if everyone has either a big travel trailer, a bus conversion or some other large motor home. We bought a popup because that was all our minivan could tow and we absolutely LOVE it! Last summer was our first summer camping and we invested in the popup without ANY camping experience . . . didn't know if we would like it or not but I'm glad we did. It has been the BEST family investment we ever made (aside from our house). I can't WAIT to go camping this summer. I wish the hubby could take the entire summer off so we could really explore.

11. Sunny_0ne

Sunny_0ne
    Expand Collapse

coachbcps, we have a TINY hard sided popup. I have never had so much fun in my life as I have camping in it.

We, very fortunately, are retired. If it weren't for having to mow the lawn, we would stay out for months. As it is, we frequently go for a month or more at a time.

I would dearly love to be a fulltimer--in a SMALL rig. We spend most of our time outdoors, so all we want or need is a comfortable place to sleep, cook when the weather is bad, and surf or read in the evenings or when it's rainy.

But DH isn't ready to sell the house. Maybe someday!

I am very happy to see people with popups and small rigs posting here. For those of us who are campers, not RVers, it's a wonderful choice.

12. Florida Native

Florida Native
    Expand Collapse

We are opposites. I am an old guy with a new camper.

13. TxTornado

TxTornado
    Expand Collapse

on older cars I have used " oxidizer cleaner"... there used to be a specific brands but my memory falls me now.. They worked great.. I see no reason they would not work well on a PUP or MH..... I have also seen where ppl ( we looked at a used MH that had don e this.. they even went to a manufacture outlet and bought NEW furniture at great cost savings.. so they said.. )replaced their decals/stripeing-- and it looked GREAT!-- ordered from manufacturer

14. edcornflake

edcornflake
    Expand Collapse

I'm also a New Guy with an Old Camper:

I have an older fifth wheel ('99 - so not terribly old) and the paint is pretty oxidized. I tried waxing, made no noticeable change. I'm to the point now where I may look to re-paint the white portions by hand - starting on some out of the way spots on the body to see how well it works. I'm also considering removing the decals all together - they're faded and beginning to peel.

The inside is in great shape except for 2 spots where water got in through leaks (it's starting to sound much worse than it actually is).

I'm looking for any advice on 'sprucing up the outside' and fixing any water damage behind the walls on the inside?

Also, do the other fifth wheel owners grease the hitch regularly?

15. Goinmobile

Goinmobile
    Expand Collapse

I am using an old 96 Class C. Been fulltiming almost 2 years now and have driven the beast over 20000kms so far.

Attached Files:

• rv.JPG
      rv.JPG
      File size:
      500.2 KB
      Views:
  16. NorthernIllinoisPlumber

NorthernIllinoisPlumber
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(Goinmobile @ Jul 26 2010, 07:52 PM) [snapback]23190[/snapback]

I am using an old 96 Class C. Been fulltiming almost 2 years now and have driven the beast over 20000kms so far.

Nice looking ride.

17. Goinmobile

Goinmobile
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(NorthernIllinoisPlumber @ Jul 27 2010, 12:13 AM) [snapback]23192[/snapback]

Nice looking ride.

Thanks. She's got 207000kms on her now. Haven't had a problem mechanically yet but 3 exhaust manifold bolts snapped off in the head. Sounds like a can full of marbles when it's cold. Pretty basic inside but everything works. take care.

18. edcornflake

edcornflake
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(edcornflake @ Jul 26 2010, 02:40 PM) [snapback]23187[/snapback]

I'm also a New Guy with an Old Camper:

I have an older fifth wheel ('99 - so not terribly old) and the paint is pretty oxidized. I tried waxing, made no noticeable change. I'm to the point now where I may look to re-paint the white portions by hand - starting on some out of the way spots on the body to see how well it works. I'm also considering removing the decals all together - they're faded and beginning to peel.

Well, I'm no longer a new guy with an old camper - I'm now a new guy with a NEW camper. We went out to do some research on the new Cougar High Country, and walked away a few hours later having traded in the '99 Terry on a 296BHS. Nice light 5er. I can pull it with my GMC Sierra 1500 with no problems. Went out 2 days after picking it up for a weekend and it is a dream come true! I miss the old Terry, she was good to us, but sometimes, you just gotta upgrade! :D

19. Florida Native

Florida Native
    Expand Collapse

Don't fool youself into thinking it will stop here though. It's OK to fool your wife, but not yourself.

20. Texasrvers

Texasrvers
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

QUOTE(edcornflake @ Aug 9 2010, 04:48 PM) [snapback]23421[/snapback]

Well, I'm no longer a new guy with an old camper - I'm now a new guy with a NEW camper. We went out to do some research on the new Cougar High Country, and walked away a few hours later having traded in the '99 Terry on a 296BHS. Nice light 5er. I can pull it with my GMC Sierra 1500 with no problems. Went out 2 days after picking it up for a weekend and it is a dream come true! I miss the old Terry, she was good to us, but sometimes, you just gotta upgrade! :D

I can relate! We walked into Camping World in 2004 to buy toilet paper and came out with a brand new Class A. You gotta be really careful when you go to places that sell RV's.