State Park Rate Hike In Connecticut

Discussion in 'Destinations and RV Parks' started by meatwagon45, Mar 7, 2010.

1. NorthernIllinoisPlumber

NorthernIllinoisPlumber
    Expand Collapse

Illinois State Parks don't allow any alcohol. No one should complain...

2. mdcamping

mdcamping
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

Last year I paid $150 for three nights camping which included me buying three fishing licenses so my boys and I could go fishing on the Natchaug river...this year I have to pay $240 because the CT state fishing license has gone from $20 to $50 (which includes salt water fishing) Now I'm not sure if I can afford to go.

Mike

3. Tom

Tom
    Expand Collapse

mdcamping, were you fishing from a private campgrounds' property? I don't think you need a fishing license when you are on campground property. Now I have to see if I can find that info!

4. mdcamping

mdcamping
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

QUOTE(Tom @ Mar 22 2010, 08:51 PM) [snapback]21380[/snapback]

mdcamping, were you fishing from a private campgrounds' property? I don't think you need a fishing license when you are on campground property. Now I have to see if I can find that info!

Some of it was I believe, but we fish up & down the river away from the campground property.

Mike

5. HappiestCamper

HappiestCamper
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(NorthernIllinoisPlumber @ Mar 22 2010, 05:39 PM) [snapback]21377[/snapback]

Illinois State Parks don't allow any alcohol. No one should complain...

You can sneak that - a dog is a different story. SC doesn't allow alcohol either - never stopped me.

6. dog bone

dog bone
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(HappiestCamper @ Mar 23 2010, 09:17 AM) [snapback]21387[/snapback]

You can sneak that - a dog is a different story. SC doesn't allow alcohol either - never stopped me.

I think the no alcohol rule is a control thing, put in place to keep the rowdy's out. A family with some friend having a couple won't have a problem. Unless it gets out of hand or you flaunt it. I have been caught a couple of times by both a ranger, in his sp, and a park owner and was told just to keep it under wraps. I might have been lucky, I don't know.

Back on subject. The states are looking for money anywhere they can get it. Raising gas tax, cigarettes, booze anything that the population likes to do or has to do, including camping. They aren't going to put the extra money back into the parks. It is going to go into the general fund account and be use it as they see fit.
    Someone already stated that why spend 35 or 40 bucks to pitch a tent or park a trailer on a 20 x40 piece of grass when you can get full hook ups for the same price around the corner. The parks are going to close, mother nature is going to take them back, and our future generations are going to miss out on some of the best camping.

7. mdcamping

mdcamping
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

QUOTE(mdcamping @ Mar 22 2010, 09:03 PM) [snapback]21381[/snapback]

Some of it was I believe, but we fish up & down the river away from the campground property.

Mike

I actually called the campground today, the owner told me because it's stocked by the state that a licenses is required which kind of makes sense, though I was hoping for the opposite... I would have just stayed on campground property and saved myself an awful lot of money!! :D

8. mdcamping

mdcamping
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

QUOTE(dog bone @ Mar 23 2010, 11:43 AM) [snapback]21392[/snapback]

Back on subject. The states are looking for money anywhere they can get it. Raising gas tax, cigarettes, booze anything that the population likes to do or has to do, including camping. They aren't going to put the extra money back into the parks. It is going to go into the general fund account and be use it as they see fit.
    Someone already stated that why spend 35 or 40 bucks to pitch a tent or park a trailer on a 20 x40 piece of grass when you can get full hook ups for the same price around the corner. The parks are going to close, mother nature is going to take them back, and our future generations are going to miss out on some of the best camping.

I understand and agree with your point...it certainly makes sense but with that being said families are stressed for money also and with less of it to spend some people are looking for the most value for their dollar, so I think both points of view work here...IMHO

Mike

9. dog bone

dog bone
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(mdcamping @ Mar 23 2010, 11:43 PM) [snapback]21402[/snapback]

I understand and agree with your point...it certainly makes sense but with that being said families are stressed for money also and with less of it to spend some people are looking for the most value for their dollar, so I think both points of view work here...IMHO

Mike

I think we both have the same point of view. :) One of the earlier posts, I think it was Tom, said that some of the sp's had some extra charges along with the camping charge. According to their post, that put the price to camp with no hook up's, at a sp, about the same as going to a private park with full hookup's. Best value for your dollar. I would not like to see the sp's close because of lack of use or funds.
    I think we all are looking for the best value for our money.

10. HappiestCamper

HappiestCamper
    Expand Collapse

The state parks in NY, MA, and RI are cheaper. Anybody contemplating staying in CT go to one of these instead - and every time you do, send a letter to CT's governor letting them know.

If you must stay in CT, send a letter to the governor letting them know that you only stayed half the time you wanted to because of the price.

11. meatwagon45

meatwagon45
    Expand Collapse

UPDATE!!! - Connecticut is considering repealing the rate hike and replace it with a lower increase. This should be all state parks, all hunting and fishing permits. The trade off is increasing traffic tickets. Lawmakers have been recieving complaints and threats of boycotting state properties. Others have publicly stated that they would risk being caught without a fishing permit instead of paying $50 (last years rate was $20).

12. NorthernIllinoisPlumber

NorthernIllinoisPlumber
    Expand Collapse

Keep up the pressure!