Who Uses Silicone?

Discussion in 'General Community Discussions' started by NorthernIllinoisPlumber, Mar 19, 2010.

1. NorthernIllinoisPlumber

NorthernIllinoisPlumber
    Expand Collapse

I was able to pull my 1988 Jayco 1208 out today to give it a little TLC. Mainly the trim/seal on the roof. Last November I scrubbed some seal off and created a leak. Well, its in the garage curing.

2. John Blue

John Blue
    Expand Collapse

We use Dicor sealants. This stuff may never come off anything you put it on. If you seal up a roof and do the job right it will be the last time you will every need to seal it. The stuff cost some money but it works. Use care and do not get it on anyplace by mistake as it sets in sec's. You can find it on line and at times Camping World may have it. Check to see if the tube is soft before you buy it at Camping World as it can go bad from old age on the shelf. I do not work for Dicor only find the items they sell work great on RV units. Silicone is good for a very short time before it will fall off.

http://www.dicor.com/

3. bjma

bjma
    Expand Collapse

My first motor home was a used 1993 Airstream Land Yacht (barge).

It was a FEMALE DOG, it was a piece of serious engineering errors.

They put the roof on, then added the rounded roof caps. The caps were higher than the roof, and any water on the roof would seep through the cap seals. AC condensation, dew, rain, any water. Then the roof was constructed using alumimum rails. The low spot was the clothes closets.

Whenever we parked, the clothes were wet...

I took it back to Jackson Center three times, they would do a pressure test, each time it would pass. I do not see how, but it was Airstream, and I grew up thinking that Airstream was one of the best RV's out there.

I finally fixed the problem by using a couple gallons of Kool-seal. I filled the low spots with Kool-seal. No low spots, no place for water to puddle...

No more Airstreams for me.

QUOTE(NorthernIllinoisPlumber @ Mar 19 2010, 08:45 PM) [snapback]21333[/snapback]

I was able to pull my 1988 Jayco 1208 out today to give it a little TLC. Mainly the trim/seal on the roof. Last November I scrubbed some seal off and created a leak. Well, its in the garage curing.

4. Florida Native

Florida Native
    Expand Collapse

I have been trying to talk my wife into a silicone job for years, but she won't do it.

5. NorthernIllinoisPlumber

NorthernIllinoisPlumber
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(Lindsay Richards @ Mar 22 2010, 10:22 AM) [snapback]21362[/snapback]

I have been trying to talk my wife into a silicone job for years, but she won't do it.

Start another post for that... :eek:

6. rgatijnet

rgatijnet
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(Lindsay Richards @ Mar 22 2010, 11:22 AM) [snapback]21362[/snapback]

Being in construction, I have seen the many many short comings of silicone as a sealant. About the only place it was used on my commercial construction projects was for glass sealing. For every other sealant requirement, there are many alternatives out there that will perform much better than silicone. The urethane sealants are outstanding.
    And for the gentleman above, saline has replaced silicone. Silicone was not suitable there either. :)

7. Florida Native

Florida Native
    Expand Collapse

I don't like the saline as well, but have decided it isn't worth it anyway. If you have seen two you have seen them all.

8. tworootless

tworootless
    Expand Collapse

There's a product found in marina supplies stores It's a clear product and flows freely. It will seep into the areas that leak. Worked well on boats I've owned. I think its called "Creeping Crack Cure."

9. NorthernIllinoisPlumber

NorthernIllinoisPlumber
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(tworootless @ Mar 23 2010, 10:28 AM) [snapback]21391[/snapback]

"Creeping Crack Cure."

That sounds like something a plumber could use...not me of course! :lol:

10. RV Camper1

RV Camper1
    Expand Collapse

Silicone caulking is not recommended for RV use. The reason is that once it cures, nothing will stick to it, not even more of the same product. If you use it you need to get 100% of it off before you ever reseal the same location.

On RVs a good quality of butyl, self-leveling caulk is much better. It will enter into any openings that leak to correct them and you only remove as much as easily removable before you caulk the next time. If you happen to have an EDPM(rubber) roof, then make sure that you use a product that is approved for such use.

11. NorthernIllinoisPlumber

NorthernIllinoisPlumber
    Expand Collapse

I pulled the Jayco out today to test for leaks. While the silicone is still "tacky" I ran the hose over the suspected areas. Twice I soaked it, and all seems well.

12. RV Camper1

RV Camper1
    Expand Collapse

I hope that you are lucky as it will be fine as long as you don't have to reseal again. If you do,................. Good Luck!

13. NorthernIllinoisPlumber

NorthernIllinoisPlumber
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(Kirk @ Apr 16 2010, 05:56 PM) [snapback]21674[/snapback]

I hope that you are lucky as it will be fine as long as you don't have to reseal again. If you do,................. Good Luck!

You are so right about that! Many times I see folks trying to cover old silicone in the bath tubs/showers to stop leaks. Never works.