Campgrounds Should Be Re-organized

Discussion in 'Destinations and RV Parks' started by rvmamabel, Apr 13, 2010.

1. rvmamabel

rvmamabel
    Expand Collapse

Hi, We just got back from week in a Myrtle Beach campground, and I've decided that campgrounds in general are organized all wrong. You know, you can choose a premium site, an ocean/water view site, one with full-hookups, etc. I think this is all wrong.

Wouldn't it make more sense to have a yappy dog section, a teenager section, a young-kids-who-go-to-sleep-at-8:00 section (that's us), and a we-sit-outside-drinking-and-laughing-until-midnight section. I'd personally pay extra to be in a can't-hear-your-neighbor section. I don't get upset at those who fall into other categories mind you, I just would rather not be near them as I like peace and quiet. Why don't campgrounds post the square footage of the sites like hotels do? That might help me plan ahead.

Can you tell I just spent a week squished between a fifth wheel with a yappy dog and a motor home with four teenagers who liked to sit outside practicing new swear words until 10:00 at night?! It was too cool for me to run the A/C all night, which was my strategy for too-small sites last summer. Maybe reorganizing campgrounds could be the new trend of the year! What other sections can you think of? How about an anti-social section, or another section: the super-socials? :eek:

2. Texasrvers

Texasrvers
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

Sorry to hear about your bad experience, but your post kept me laughing for hours. What a unique idea! Maybe it will catch on.

3. Tallboy

Tallboy
    Expand Collapse

I do like the "can't-hear-your-neighbor-section". I do like a quiet campground. 99.9% of the time when I go over to a neighbor and try to talk to them about being loud after 10 PM or leaves their yappy dog outside and even inside while they are gone, I'm ignored. Or yeah they will say they will take care of it, but don't. Have to have plenty of hear plugs on hand.

Another thing I don't understand on campground are the ones with straight back ins. You know like a "T" The top of the "T" being the interior road and the bottom half you have to back into. And then the interior road is less in size then a two lane road. Lots of fun trying to back in. Why not make the sites angled so it's easy to back into. :angry:

4. HappiestCamper

HappiestCamper
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(Nolan @ Apr 14 2010, 03:09 PM) [snapback]21645[/snapback]

Another thing I don't understand on campground are the ones with straight back ins. You know like a "T" The top of the "T" being the interior road and the bottom half you have to back into.

And then they plant trees on both side of the entrance :blink:

5. NorthernIllinoisPlumber

NorthernIllinoisPlumber
    Expand Collapse

One thing that I always dread is getting a spot next to smokers.

Add a non-smoking area while you are at it.

6. Texasrvers

Texasrvers
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

How about camp fires allowed / not allowed sections?

(I agree with the no smoking section.)

7. kcmoedoe

kcmoedoe
    Expand Collapse

I think everyone has hit upon a great idea. Section without pets, section without kids, section without campfires, Quiet section, party section. Then of course you have all the permutations. Kids, Campfire, no pets, party. No kids, No campfire, Quiet, Pets. To cover just those 5 possibilities there are 120 different combinations. Our it could be like it is now. Your site is how you like it, the site next to you is how your neighbor likes it. Sounds great, but can never work.

8. DXSMac

DXSMac
    Expand Collapse

I once stayed at a campground near Natchez, Washington, and they actually asked me, "Partying or Peace and Quiet?" They had the campground split like that.

JJ

9. tworootless

tworootless
    Expand Collapse

Nothing new. They're called 55 plus RV parks. We own a deeded lot in one :huh:

10. joez

joez
    Expand Collapse

I hate music so we need a no music section. We also need a section where you are not allowed to start your diesel engine and leave early. I hate the smell of fish cooking so there should be a section of no cooking fish. Do you folks realize what you are saying? You go to a public campground and then complain that other people do not behave exactly as you want? RVs come with wheels - MOVE if you want a different atmosphere. There are millions of acres of public land in this country where you can drive 1/4 mile off the road and not see another person for months - perhaps you should confine your trips to one of these areas. I guarantee you will get all the peace and quiet you want.

11. Texasrvers

Texasrvers
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

Some of you are taking this thread too seriously. I think the op was just trying to have some lighthearted fun with their idea of having different kinds of sections in a campground. We all understand that most of these suggestions are not practical, but they were funny to read.

12. DXSMac

DXSMac
    Expand Collapse

Oh, I thought all the posts were tongue in cheek!

JJ

13. NorthernIllinoisPlumber

NorthernIllinoisPlumber
    Expand Collapse

Mine is not funny.... :lol:

14. RV Camper1

RV Camper1
    Expand Collapse

And how about a section for grumpy people who just want left alone? :angry:

And another for the folks who love to visit and want to meet everyone? :D

Maybe a section for those who play cards and those who prefer dominoes?

If we take this far enough we might just need to make all RV parks so that there is at least 1/4 mile between each site so that nobody is close to anyone else. :rolleyes:

15. dalsgal

dalsgal
    Expand Collapse

Maybe, since I manage a CG, I should vote for spaces to be far enough from the managers home that we don't get knocks on our door late at night asking questions that are answered in our brochure. :rolleyes:

16. rangiebob

rangiebob
    Expand Collapse

Hubby and I are so with you on this idea. Please post here if you ever find any with social and anti-social sections. We just spent several months in AZ at a campground for 55+ but 99% of them were retired and partied every night. We are still working and would love to have been able to park in a quiet section.

QUOTE(rvmamabel @ Apr 13 2010, 10:27 PM) [snapback]21638[/snapback]

Hi, We just got back from week in a Myrtle Beach campground, and I've decided that campgrounds in general are organized all wrong. You know, you can choose a premium site, an ocean/water view site, one with full-hookups, etc. I think this is all wrong.

Wouldn't it make more sense to have a yappy dog section, a teenager section, a young-kids-who-go-to-sleep-at-8:00 section (that's us), and a we-sit-outside-drinking-and-laughing-until-midnight section. I'd personally pay extra to be in a can't-hear-your-neighbor section. I don't get upset at those who fall into other categories mind you, I just would rather not be near them as I like peace and quiet. Why don't campgrounds post the square footage of the sites like hotels do? That might help me plan ahead.

Can you tell I just spent a week squished between a fifth wheel with a yappy dog and a motor home with four teenagers who liked to sit outside practicing new swear words until 10:00 at night?! It was too cool for me to run the A/C all night, which was my strategy for too-small sites last summer. Maybe reorganizing campgrounds could be the new trend of the year! What other sections can you think of? How about an anti-social section, or another section: the super-socials? :eek:

17. makinmemories

makinmemories
    Expand Collapse

I think that would then be considered primitive camping. Then there is the pesky situation of having no water, electric or sewer to contend with.
    I would however, enjoy a no animals section for those of us who don't care for the aroma of pet waste with our morning coffee!

18. rvmamabel

rvmamabel
    Expand Collapse

Hi everyone,

Yes, this post was just supposed to be a light-hearted attempt to vent some frustrations...but after reading the replies, it's pretty clear that we are going to need two new sections: one for those with a sense of humor, and another section for those without. :eek: I supposed I am going to get flamed for that now too, eh?!

19. DXSMac

DXSMac
    Expand Collapse

Ok, I'll throw in some more.

Partnered (married or not, you just have a partner with you)
    vs
    Solo (and within this section are the subcategories of "solo and looking" and "solo and not looking.....")

cats
    vs
    dogs
    vs
    other pets (birds, iguanas, etc)
    vs
    no pets

Technophobes (and the Wi-Fi should definitely work in this section)
    vs
    non technophobes (who don't want to use computers)

New Age/Jazz
    vs
    Country
    vs
    Big Band
    vs
    Rock
    vs
    SILENCE

White RV's
    vs Ok, I'm just making this up, I don't know why....
    Painted RV's

JJ

20. NorthernIllinoisPlumber

NorthernIllinoisPlumber
    Expand Collapse

This keeps getting better...I am taking notes.