Splendide Washing Machine Repair

Discussion in 'Towing, Vehicles, Maintenance and Repairs' started by John Blue, Jun 9, 2010.

1. John Blue

John Blue
    Expand Collapse

I would like to hear from all the people who have a Splendide washing machine in your motorhome or 5th wheel. Like to know what problems you have had over the years and how long in years has it been in service. Would be nice to know the cycle life as well or number of washing per trip. Some people travel a lot and others only travel couple weeks out of the year. More use adds more cycle life on machine. The TX door lock is used in this machine and all people we have talked to, this has been the item that stops working.

2. weighit

weighit
    Expand Collapse

First unit we bought 2100 vented for our trailer and full time use lasted 4 years with only the door latch failing until the drum wore out. It always seemed to be to have too much shaking when we did the laundry, and it appears that the bouncing allowed the stainless steel drum to touch the frame work and over time wore a hole in the drum. That allowed the water inside the unit to leak out. I took it apart thinking I could fix it, but the parts cost more than buying a new unit. We then bought a 2100XC and it is heads above the old unit. Runs smoother, weighs less, is quieter and holds more stuff. I would not have a rig without a washer/drier and so far the Splendide has been well worth the money for us.

3. bjma

bjma
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(John Blue @ Jun 9 2010, 08:43 AM) [snapback]22458[/snapback]

I would like to hear from all the people who have a Splendide washing machine in your motorhome or 5th wheel. Like to know what problems you have had over the years and how long in years has it been in service. Would be nice to know the cycle life as well or number of washing per trip. Some people travel a lot and others only travel couple weeks out of the year. More use adds more cycle life on machine. The TX door lock is used in this machine and all people we have talked to this has been an item that stops working.

my kids left something in the pockets that got washed. As a result, the pump failed.

To empty the machine - once it is locked, requires you to remove a plug on the front/bottom. You need t capture that water! NASTY JOB.

I ended up taking it to the dealer, and FOUR HUNDRED DOLLARS LATER, the pump was replaced. The pump was cheap, about a hundred and a half, but the labor was a killer. They had to pull the machine, take it outside the coach to work on it, then replace it back into the coach.

I am not so sure that the next motorhome will have a washer/dryer. It is CONVIENT but a royal pain in the butt.

4. Lee and Fran

Lee and Fran
    Expand Collapse

We have had our Splendide three years. The wife washes three to four times a week doing an average of one to two loads per day. We had a problem last year that the dryer stopped working in the heating dept. We had it fixed this year and my extended warranty paid for it but we did have to pay the fee for checking out the washer to find the problem. I believe that was 225.00. They said the problem was brought on by our dryer hose getting clogged with lint.
    We used to wash every weekend when we did not have the washer dryer and it was 20.00 a day. So we are glad we bought it and are happy having it. We have also run the washer on generator when camping and it worked just fine but did fill are grey tank quckly.

5. rangiebob

rangiebob
    Expand Collapse

We've lived in our motor home full-time for 4 years and have a washer/dryer combo. Because we don't like the way everything gets so wrinkled, we only use if for stuff like towels, undies, socks and other things that wrinkling doesn't matter. Generally, if we are parked long-term in an RV park, we use it once a week and use the laundry facilities at the park. Thankfully we haven't had any problems with it.

QUOTE(Lee and Fran @ Jun 12 2010, 06:51 PM) [snapback]22496[/snapback]

We have also run the washer on generator when camping and it worked just fine but did fill are grey tank quckly.

This is interesting to me. Co you also run your dryer? I have tried to run the dryer while we are on the generator and it doesn't dry the clothes.

6. John Blue

John Blue
    Expand Collapse

We use the washing machine in some cases each night to clean up any items that may need it. In all cases every two days wife will runs the washer. We have added lots of time or hours to date on this machine. We also have run it on generator washing and drying and do not remember any problems due to his. One time in west we run a load on drying as we rolled down interstate 90. I do not think this is a good plan due to the drum may receive damage. This machine has been in service over 15 years now. One door switch bad, the heater fuse went out due to wrong size lugs on it and one ground wire lug went open on AC power cable. I did all the repair work on machine.

7. hugger45

hugger45
    Expand Collapse

I have a Splendide 2000 in my 5th wheel which I live in full time. I love it and have had no issues with it...other than it certainly does shake a lot on the spin cycle. It is mounted on a set of cabinets and then held in place with a super bungie. I worry that with all the shaking that bungie is going to get loose and I can just see the unit falling out of the cabinet while we are running down the road. This is the first washer/dryer I have had in an RV and I do get a lot of use out of it. However, I agree with a previous poster, the drum size is small and things to tend to wrinkle so I use it mostly for small loads of personal items and do the main loads in the park laundromats.

When this machine dies (or I win the lottery) I am going to replace it with one of the new units with bigger capacities and more features (and hopefully less shaking). Or I will rip out the cabinets and just put in a stackable unit. Either way, I get so much use out of mine, that I do not want to have any other RV in the future without a washer/dryer.

8. overthehillfan

overthehillfan
    Expand Collapse

:D We specifically bought our 2007 Providence 2 years ago, because it had the Splendide washing/drying machine. We live in here permanently, my husband and me and 4 cats. And on occasion, while on break a 21 year old college student., so my washer gets used almost daily.
    I find if I do one or two SMALL loads a day, using the minimum of drying time needed, that the clothes do not get wrinkled, that as well as taking them out immediately upon drying.
    And use smaller loads. Shirts, no more than 4 light weight......jeans, no more than 2 pair, things like that.
    Smaller loads also lessens the side to side shaking that occurs when heavy loads are in.
    Once every two weeks or so, we take the big blankets and bedding covers to the local laundry or cleaner and do them there.
    But we love it.....and have never had a problem. I use an old soft bristled 2 inch paint brush to keep the lint off the chrome outside and a soft bristled baby bottle brush to slide up into the slot opening, twisting it around to grab the lint that gets stuck to the inside.

9. AFChap269

AFChap269
    Expand Collapse

We have a Splendide 2000. We bought the coach in July 2003, and started fulltiming in 2005. We run at least 2-3 loads a week, and 1 load daily when the g-kids are with us 1-2 months of the year. We have run both the washer and dryer on generator while parked and/or while driving. We have never had any kind of problem with our Splendide.

We have found that smaller loads work better for wrinkle-prone items. Also, it works MUCH better if we fold the wet clothing after the wash cycle, than put the folded pile back in the machine and run the dry cycle.

10. Big Moose

Big Moose
    Expand Collapse

Splendide 2100 vented, five years fulltiming, roughly four loads plus a week over that time. Only problem was a broken door latch due the little woman thinking she was Wonder-Woman and trying to open the door before the end of the cycle. Fixed it ourselves with a new latch.

We sometimes look like the Clampetts with damp clothes hanging in the coach, but she has it figured out to the point of knowing what to dry all the way, and what to hang when damp. Like she says, "If you want your underwear to be wrinkle free, iron them yourself." I'm a man who knows my limitations, besides, at my age another wrinkle or two isn't even noticeable..

11. ba5online

ba5online
    Expand Collapse

We have a 10 year old Splendide 2000. It works great. Only problem the printing on the buttons has worn off, so need to consult owner's manual to see what the keys do. Have to unclog exterior dryer vent sometimes. I just pick out the lint I can see from the outside. It's a real time/expense saver. It does fill up your holding tank fairly quickly so I leave gray water valve open. Very pleased.

12. dwcasto

dwcasto
    Expand Collapse

i bought my motorhome 6 weeks ago one reason i got the one i did is so i could have a washer combo. the first we went out about 3 weeks ago we tried to use the machine and it would not complete a cycle after close to an hour on the phone with splendide they said ir=t is the circuit board now i have to pay to get it installed i think that is poor customer service i am not a happy camper right now it would not be so bad if we had used it for some reasonable time, but the first wash it did not work. :angry:

13. AFChap269

AFChap269
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(dwcasto @ Jan 25 2013, 11:05 AM) [snapback]32461[/snapback]

i bought my motorhome 6 weeks ago one reason i got the one i did is so i could have a washer combo.

You don't indicate whether you bought a new or a used motor home. If new, you are covered by the mfg warranty, and should be talking to your dealership. If used, there is no reason to expect Splendide to cover the problem. If you bought a used rig from a dealership, you may have some recourse with the dealership, particularly if there was any expressed warranty/guarantee that everything was in working order.

14. rvfulltimers

rvfulltimers
    Expand Collapse

Folks,
    Regarding your Splendide Washing Machine... Please research the Splendide Website. Being there is no official Splendide school for RV Maintenance Guys this website is the next best thing. The website has so many tools available to troubleshoot and repair every different Splendide Model Washer/Dryer Combo Units. ;) Hope this helps.
    http://www.splendide.com/

15. Ehneyd

Ehneyd
    Expand Collapse

Help to anyone. I realize this is a very old thread but I am in search of a control board for a Splendide WD2000s, mine took a hit during an intermittent power outage and have not been able to find one anywhere. Does anyone have one in their garage they would be willing to part out??? Does anyone know where I might find this ancient device. They all seem to have disappeared. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

16. mdcamping

mdcamping
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

^^^
    have you called/googled an "electronics repair near me" sometimes these folks are very resourceful.

Mike

17. Ehneyd

Ehneyd
    Expand Collapse

Thanks for your reply. My dealer doesn’t have anything and I just spoke to one in Ohio. They said the cost of a board makes it’s repair not feasible. I’m going to try and hardwire new wires to the board just past the physical damage and give that a try. Short of getting an unusually cheap board it’s just not worth putting the money into it’s repair. I’m going to keep trying but so far everyone is a no go. Even the Mfg. couldn’t help.
    Thanks again for your reply

18. NYDutch

NYDutch
    Expand Collapse

Try contacting the folks at Westland Sales/Splendide to see if they might have one sitting around in the parts room gathering dust.

http://www.splendide.com/

19. Ehneyd

Ehneyd
    Expand Collapse

I called them this morning and the don’t have any nor could help pointing me in any direction.

20. weighit

weighit
    Expand Collapse

When the tub wore through on my old Splendide I purchased a new one. Took the old one apart and pulled everything out that might be a repair part for someone else. I talked with a mobil repair guy in a rv park and asked him if he had a need for the bucket full of parts? he said yes and gave me $50 for the bucket. He said he would be able to keep some machines running with all this stuff. Kind of wish i still had it for you, Might just have to bite the bullet and get a new one.