Campround Rules

Discussion in 'General Community Discussions' started by RLM, Jun 15, 2010.

1. RLM

RLM
    Expand Collapse

I am presently in a campground that has 32 printed rules, most of which revolved around protecting their grass. Now 32 rules is a new record for my campground stays..and I've been doing this for 15 years. I know that there are several campground owners who frequent this forum and I have a few questions for them.

If one person screws up and makes life difficult for you, do you make a new rule to cover that issuea at the expense of the majority of your clients who have a bit of class and would not need rules to start with?? Is there a certain point where no one pays attention to the rules because there are way too many of them? Couldn't we get the rules down to something like "Treat your fellow campers like you would like to be treated" and "Pertend like you were the owners of this campground and act accordingly."

32 rules. What a waste of paper and ink!!

2. mdcamping

mdcamping
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

Though I'm not an owner... the word I like to use is common sense.

Now why some campgrounds don't seem to attract campers/RVers with common sense is another issue.... ;)

Mike

3. John Blue

John Blue
    Expand Collapse

If people did the right things you would never need any rules!

4. FosterImposters

FosterImposters
    Expand Collapse

As I checked us into a particular RV park/campground recently, the very nice lady at the desk asked if we had a pet. When I said, "No pets, no kids," she stopped cold. Then noted, there wasn't anything else involved with the rules list. (There was no grass.)

She gave me the list anyway, as the bathroom and WiFi code was encripted someplace in all the fine print.
    B)

5. oscardiggs

oscardiggs
    Expand Collapse

:( The park owner here said in order to win in court it must be written down.Laws not common sense.Lawyers make it this way.The letter of the law I think it is called. :p

6. bjma

bjma
    Expand Collapse

a campground where I recently stayed had a rule "no electric scooters". I asked if that included my mobility scooter that I need on bad days.... the kid behind the counter had to call the owner to ask.

(the owner had to ask me what a mobility scooter is....)

I've also stayed at campgrounds that said "no firearms - unless you have a state issued permit"

I guess that it all boils down to CYA...

7. dalsgal

dalsgal
    Expand Collapse

We have just a few rules that we hand out for overnighters. We remind them of cleaning up after their pets, tell them we don't have site pick up for trash, wifi info and things like that. We do have a longer set for those that are here on a monthly basis. We had thought about getting rid of several rules but we had a few campers that proved to us they are necessary. Some seemed to think that quiet time for everyone was when the noisy guy decided to get quiet. That one also thought it was okay to spit his tobacco juice on the pool concrete and splash pool water on it to dilute it. Our main reason for rules is to remind jerks like him that consideration for others is the most important thing. Most campgrounds find they do have to set rules to cover themselves legally.

8. DXSMac

DXSMac
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(BJMA @ Jun 17 2010, 02:56 PM) [snapback]22600[/snapback]

a campground where I recently stayed had a rule "no electric scooters". I asked if that included my mobility scooter that I need on bad days.... the kid behind the counter had to call the owner to ask.

Whoa! What campground is that? I carry an electric scooter, and it's NOT the "mobility" kind. I want to know so I avoid that campground.

JJ

9. nedmtnman

nedmtnman
    Expand Collapse

I would imagine if you took all the rules from all the campgrounds and followed them none of us could stay there. Of course there is no way that there could be enough rules to cover all situations.
    Maybe the only rule needed is " Do unto others as you would have them do unto you ".

10. coacbcps

coacbcps
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(nedmtnman @ Jun 18 2010, 10:46 AM) [snapback]22609[/snapback]

Maybe the only rule needed is " Do unto others as you would have them do unto you ".

Unfortunately there is a certain portion of the population who thinks that saying really says, "Do unto others BEFORE they do unto you." Kindness and consideration has to be taught. Those who let their little ones run wild tend to grow up and be the ones we all complain about later. I guess that would fall under the "you reap what you sow" category.

11. Texasrvers

Texasrvers
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

QUOTE(nedmtnman @ Jun 18 2010, 09:46 AM) [snapback]22609[/snapback]

Your point is well taken, and I think everyone understands your intent; however, the problem here is that we do not all have the same value system. One of us might do something that is perfectly acceptable to us, but which may be rude by another person's standards.

An example of what I mean is I do not walk through another person's campsite because I think it is rude and invades that person's space. However, in another thread on this site it was clear that some people do not see anything wrong with walking through someone else's space and do not mind if someone walks through theirs. So in effect when they walk through another camper's site they are treating them as they expect to be treated. When they walk through my site they may not feel they are being rude because they don't mind if I walk through theirs. But I don't see it that way. In my book, they are rude.

I also had a pet owner tell me that what their animal did was a natural function in the great outdoors, and therefore, they saw no reason for picking up their pet's business. I ask them how they would feel if another camper's dog went on their campsite and the owners didn't clean it up. They said that would be fine with them; they didn't care. That's just yucky, but they saw nothing wrong with it. Wonder if they would still feel that way if their neighbors had two Great Danes.

Anyway I absolutely agree with the principle of your thinking, and hopefully so do many others.

12. NorthernIllinoisPlumber

NorthernIllinoisPlumber
    Expand Collapse

There should be a list of rules for the campground owners.

13. meatwagon45

meatwagon45
    Expand Collapse

Here are the rules that every campground should have

1: flush the toilet - you ate the truck stop burrito so you can say good bye to it
    2: pick up after your pet - enough said
    3: don't cut through or enter others site - camping is for exercise, recreation and fun. Take a hike
    4: quite time is XX:XX o'clock. - if you are not quiet after that time, I will wake you at 5:00am
    5: no drugs - final warning
    6: pools are for swmming and toilets are for peeing - don't confuse them
    7: do not cut trees for burning - it is quicker to buy it or cheaper to bring from home. It takes too long to grow new ones

14. mdcamping

mdcamping
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

QUOTE(meatwagon45 @ Jun 26 2010, 01:27 PM) [snapback]22723[/snapback]

Here are the rules that every campground should have

1: flush the toilet - you ate the truck stop burrito so you can say good bye to it
    2: pick up after your pet - enough said
    3: don't cut through or enter others site - camping is for exercise, recreation and fun. Take a hike
    4: quite time is XX:XX o'clock. - if you are not quiet after that time, I will wake you at 5:00am
    5: no drugs - final warning
    6: pools are for swmming and toilets are for peeing - don't confuse them
    7: do not cut trees for burning - it is quicker to buy it or cheaper to bring from home. It takes too long to grow new ones

and for the most part these are common sense rules... :)

Mike

15. RLM

RLM
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(oscardiggs @ Jun 16 2010, 01:36 PM) [snapback]22572[/snapback]

:( The park owner here said in order to win in court it must be written down.Laws not common sense.Lawyers make it this way.The letter of the law I think it is called. :p

That makes sense even tho it doesn't.