New To Camping Question

Discussion in 'Destinations and RV Parks' started by campingnub, Jun 16, 2010.

1. campingnub

campingnub
    Expand Collapse

My husband and I just bought a tent. We are planning to go camping next month and my husband booked a site at a campground. My question is that there are some spots on the map that have little tent icons and it says walk in. My husband reserved one of the other spots. Is it not ok for us to tent camp in one of the other spots?

2. pianotuna

pianotuna
    Expand Collapse

Hi,

It will be fine to be at one of the other spots. Walk in means that car's can't get there.

3. Texasrvers

Texasrvers
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

Different camprgounds have different rules about tent camping. Some allow you to set up a tent on RV spaces, some don't. When you make a reservation most places will ask what type of unit you have and will assign you an appropriate space. If you are unsure about where you will be or if it is an RV site I would call the campground and get specifics.

4. campingnub

campingnub
    Expand Collapse

Thanks for the response, the website we went to had where you pick your space. My husband said he selected tent so I guess that if tents werent allowed it wouldnt allow you to select it? I got concerned after I read some RV places just have gravel slots to pull into and they are basically parking lots, sounds like this is not the case with the place we are going.

Im actually pretty excited and looking forward to the trip. Perhaps in a year or two we will buy an RV :) I also wish people did reviews on the showers at the campgrounds but it looks like most of the reviews are by people with RVs so they have no need for the bathrooms/showers.

5. meatwagon45

meatwagon45
    Expand Collapse

I have a pair of the knock off Croc shoes just for the showers. I have noticed that people tend to mention the bathrooms in their summary of a camp. Always good info to share.

Good luck with the tent. I started in a tent and loved it.

6. John Blue

John Blue
    Expand Collapse

The words "Walk In" tells you this park has a number of sites sit aside for people who walk in or no reservation. You will find them in COE and State Parks. You can walk in with a tent or a large motorhome in tow.

7. Tom

Tom
    Expand Collapse

Have you called the campground? Many times we've called campgrounds that we don't know about, and the front desk people have been great with ideas on which site to choose. Same with a State Park... if you can contact the park office itself (which is not always easy) the Park Rangers most times are very helpful on which are good sites for you.

Funny you mention the showers in reviews - I always try to describe the bathrooms in my reviews.

8. coacbcps

coacbcps
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(campingnub @ Jun 17 2010, 01:09 AM) [snapback]22590[/snapback]

Im actually pretty excited and looking forward to the trip. Perhaps in a year or two we will buy an RV :) I also wish people did reviews on the showers at the campgrounds but it looks like most of the reviews are by people with RVs so they have no need for the bathrooms/showers.

Good luck on your trip! My husband and I decided to buy a pop up when we chose to camp and we love it! It has the feel of a tent but many of the amenities of a large RV including a bathroom with a shower as well as A/C. We're going on our first trip of the season this week and my kids can't wait. Have fun!

9. acenorm

acenorm
    Expand Collapse

We tent camp and everywhere we have gone we always ask for an electric and water site and haven't had a problem. We have a tower fan for the hotter days and it is nice to have water right on site for cooking. A lot of campgrounds will have smaller sites that are usually for pop ups and/or tents.