Bathing Habits At Campgrounds...

Discussion in 'General Community Discussions' started by NorthernIllinoisPlumber, Jun 20, 2010.

1. NorthernIllinoisPlumber

NorthernIllinoisPlumber
    Expand Collapse

Well we spent a nice weekend a short distance from our home at a local campground. This campground has full service, showers, toilets, SINKS, water fountains etc.

With that said, am I completely out of line to be irritated by the fact that my wife had to use the mensroom sink due to a lady washing her feet in the womens restroom sink?

Nasty....

2. HappiestCamper

HappiestCamper
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(NorthernIllinoisPlumber @ Jun 21 2010, 12:29 AM) [snapback]22645[/snapback]

Well we spent a nice weekend a short distance from our home at a local campground. This campground has full service, showers, toilets, SINKS, water fountains etc.

With that said, am I completely out of line to be irritated by the fact that my wife had to use the mensroom sink due to a lady washing her feet in the womens restroom sink?

Nasty....

At least she wasn't washing them in a water fountain :lol:

3. John Blue

John Blue
    Expand Collapse

If you think his is odd then you need to travel overseas. Was the lady setting in one sink and wash her feet in the other? Remember people do everything different in other parts of the world. Here in USA we do not see this to much. :D

4. 2fulltimers

2fulltimers
    Expand Collapse

Lighten up - there is more to the RV experience than a sink that might be used differently than you would.

5. Tom

Tom
    Expand Collapse

Okay, that's not what I expected! I thought this was going to be a thread about people using their outside showers in small, tight campgrounds.

How does one wash ones feet in the sink? I guess you do have to be sitting on the counter? Which is pretty yuck... most bathroom counters in campgrounds that I have been at are not real clean.

But... I guess if plenty of soap is used, is that really so much different than washing hands?

6. tworootless

tworootless
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(Tom @ Jun 22 2010, 08:07 AM) [snapback]22667[/snapback]

Okay, that's not what I expected! I thought this was going to be a thread about people using their outside showers in small, tight campgrounds.

How does one wash ones feet in the sink? I guess you do have to be sitting on the counter? Which is pretty yuck... most bathroom counters in campgrounds that I have been at are not real clean.

But... I guess if plenty of soap is used, is that really so much different than washing hands?

Or bring your dog into the shower, as one A-hole female did last week! Or crap in the mens urinal as another A-hole did on the same day.
    I'm not keen on having to shave in the morning next to someone washing there feet 12" away either.

7. Texasrvers

Texasrvers
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

QUOTE(NorthernIllinoisPlumber @ Jun 20 2010, 11:29 PM) [snapback]22645[/snapback]

am I completely out of line to be irritated by the fact that my wife had to use the mensroom sink due to a lady washing her feet in the womens restroom sink?

My first thought was how in the world did she manage to get her feet in the sink. If there was a big counter she sat on I could understand, but if it was a pedestal sink or had a small counter, that would be quite an accomplishment. I can't get my feet up and over and into the sink, but I'll admit to being of an age that doesn't bend as well anymore. Maybe a younger person can do this.

Now to answer your question. I personally do not think you were out of line in your thinking. I believe that when you are using public facilities you should be a little more attuned to the fact that others will be using the same area. I try to make as little mess as possible, and I also clean up after myself. I will actually rinse out the sink with soap and wipe off the counter if I got water on it. I think of it as using a bathroom at a friend's house, and I would not want to leave a mess there. Unfortunately some people think that if it is a public bathroom they can make whatever mess they want and someone else will clean it up.

This is side-stepping a bit, but this is why I do not always give a lot of validity to the statements about bathrooms being clean or not. Someone can make a mess 10 min after the bathrooms were cleaned, and if you go in 10 min after that you will find that mess and most likely will report in your review that the restrooms/showers weren't clean. That isn't really the campground's fault. I try to give a bad rating only if there is evidence of built-up dirt and mold, etc. Superficial messes are no less disgusting, but at least they can be cleaned up at the next regular cleaning time. Now if the same mess is there the next day that is another issue. Just my thoughts.

8. meatwagon45

meatwagon45
    Expand Collapse

While on the topic of bathrooms at campgrounds, if people are not flushing the toilet at the campground, are they flushing at home? Nothing is worse than finding 3 "full" stalls fermenting in the summer heat. What is so hard about trying to help keep a bathroom clean by flushing what you leave? Why do I need to see it? I dont know who left it so I am not going to be that impressed by it. Am I out of line for making sure I leave nothing behind? Why is it the campgrounds responsability to flush for you? If you cant stand your own stench, maybe you should get to the hospital instead of the campground.

Sorry for the rant... I try not to use the toilet in my travel trailer if there are facilities nearby. But come on, why cant people flush when they are done? Are they in that much of a hurry to get to the horseshoe tornament? Was there an evacuation order given mid dump that I never heard? Why do other adults need me to remind them to flush when they exit a stall? Do people forget to bring their mind and manners when they go camping?

9. coacbcps

coacbcps
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(tworootless @ Jun 22 2010, 11:29 AM) [snapback]22670[/snapback]

Or bring your dog into the shower, as one A-hole female did last week! Or crap in the mens urinal as another A-hole did on the same day.

Just when you think it couldn't get any worse . . . :angry:

10. NorthernIllinoisPlumber

NorthernIllinoisPlumber
    Expand Collapse

These sinks were older wall hung they seemed a bit lower. I know why she did it...25 cent showers thats why.

To the question about people not flushing at home? They dont. About 95% of my business is service calls and people can be very filthy.

11. DXSMac

DXSMac
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(meatwagon45 @ Jun 22 2010, 09:27 PM) [snapback]22678[/snapback]

While on the topic of bathrooms at campgrounds, if people are not flushing the toilet at the campground, are they flushing at home? Nothing is worse than finding 3 "full" stalls fermenting in the summer heat. What is so hard about trying to help keep a bathroom clean by flushing what you leave? Why do I need to see it? I dont know who left it so I am not going to be that impressed by it. Am I out of line for making sure I leave nothing behind? Why is it the campgrounds responsability to flush for you? If you cant stand your own stench, maybe you should get to the hospital instead of the campground.

I've heard of cheapskates who don't flush their toilets until they are full because they think it will save water gallons.......

JJ

12. dalsgal

dalsgal
    Expand Collapse

I know a man that was such a tightwad that when his water bill went to $8.00 a month he allowed his wife to flush 2 times a day and he went outside, dug a hole and he used that just to save money.

As for people flushing, that is my main problem with cleaning the bathrooms at our CG. We don't have communal showers but have a bathroom for men and one for women. It is like a bathroom in a home with shower, sink and toilet. I can deal with almost any mess in there except unflushed toilets. It is so nasty to go in and find a toilet full of paper and waste and you have to flush it and scrub the streaks out. There is no excuse for leaving that kind of mess. Many people think that wadding rugs up, throwing paper towels on the floor, leaving hair everywhere is not their problem but I bet if I went to their house and left a mess they would be angry. I was always taught to respect other peoples property.

13. NorthernIllinoisPlumber

NorthernIllinoisPlumber
    Expand Collapse

Here is another one...we were at Kettle Moraine State Park this weekend. A woman and her daughter were washing their hair in the lake, at the beach...suds and all.

Gotta laugh :rolleyes:

14. nicki

nicki
    Expand Collapse

Washing one's feet in a public handsink is disgusting and deplorable. I don't care how people live at home--when sharing space with complete strangers I expect a certain level of civility.

15. kcmoedoe

kcmoedoe
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(nicki @ Jul 13 2010, 10:34 AM) [snapback]22986[/snapback]

Washing one's feet in a public handsink is disgusting and deplorable. I don't care how people live at home--when sharing space with complete strangers I expect a certain level of civility.

And your expectations will not be met.

16. kightlis

kightlis
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(NorthernIllinoisPlumber @ Jun 20 2010, 10:29 PM) [snapback]22645[/snapback]

Nasty....

To be safe from now on, whenever I go into a ladies' room I'll "assume" that some lady just washed her feet in the sink. :unsure:

17. joez

joez
    Expand Collapse

We rarely use public washrooms but personally I certainly do not find foot dirt any worse than hand dirt or face dirt in the sink. On the rare occasions when I use a public washroom I always clean the sink with Lysol or other cleaner (I carry a small bottle in my ditty bag) before I use the basin. I have a friend who split with his first wife after only a month of marriage because of an argument that started when he saw her rinse a mophead she was using to mop the kitchen floor in the kitchen sink. I was pretty taken aback when I heard that but after talking to several others it seems half of us do the same when mopping kitchen floors and half find that to rinse a mop this way is disgusting. Growing up we lived at a lake and shampooing was always done in the lake. Different perceptions I guess.

Before retiring I managed a manufacturing plant with a diverse workforce - 897 employees, 67 different birth languages. Certain religous groups must wash their feet at specific times during the day and we got many complaints regarding the use of washroom basins to do this. Those using the basins to wash their feet could not understand why others were upset. We ended up installing foot washing basins in the floors of washrooms. The reality may be that we may see more feet washings in public washrooms if current trends in our population demographics continue.

IMO, no flush people are among the scum of the earth. Enough said.

18. MelindaK

MelindaK
    Expand Collapse

One of the reasons I upgraded from a tent to a camper was for the bathroom. I was tired of using dirty public restrooms. It is amazing how folks treat public restrooms. It is as though some make a point to be messy and inconsiderate of others.

19. Tallboy

Tallboy
    Expand Collapse

Women are worse then men. Women's restrooms are dirtier Have workamped at several campgrounds where I have had bathhouse duty.

This last summer was the first place I have workamped at that didn't have pay showers. This place needed it. I was amazed on how long one person takes a shower. :eek: This place had several rooms where the shower, sink and toilet in the same little room. I and other guy tried to clean the rooms several times a day. But hard to do when someone is taking a shower for over 30 plus minutes!!!!

20. Texasrvers

Texasrvers
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

Thirty minutes for just a shower does seem too long. However, if these were individual bathrooms the ladies may have also been drying their hair or putting on make-up or doing other "lady" things. I can see where all of this could easily take 30 min. That is why it sometimes makes sense to have shower rooms separate from sinks and toilets so that more than one person can use the facilities at the same time. (Although we prefer the individual baths.)