Smart Phone Campground App

Discussion in 'Destinations and RV Parks' started by Florida Native, Aug 11, 2010.

1. Florida Native

Florida Native
    Expand Collapse

I got a new APP for my Droid called PLACES which will get your GPS position and find places near to you. It does places like restaurants, hotels, attractions, gas stations and low and behold, you can add categories of places and I was able to add campgrounds and RV parks, Really neat. We just got back from a 3 week trip, but I had not downloaded it yet. It is free from the Verizon app store. Looks like it will be a killer application for Droid uses. I do not know if they have one or that other cheapo model called IPhone.

2. RVL217646

RVL217646
    Expand Collapse

Lindsay,

I too just purchased a new Droid X (Android Phone) which has the Verizon Icon called "Places". I did the exact same as you and did a campground search.

A couple of interesting things I found with this app:

1. You can actually add a small, within the application, widget, which I did and I named it "Campgrounds". If one clicks on this you go directly to any campgrounds in the area. Very kewl.

2. When you go to the individual campgrounds I noted that several of the reviews actually came from www.campgroundreviews.com, which I found kind of odd and kind of comforting.

3. I also added a small widget within this application called Diesel Truck Stops. Again the program finds any diesel truck stops within your immediate location.

Of course I still hold out hope that www.campgroundreviews.com will be able to develop an android app for their great site.

Alan

3. Florida Native

Florida Native
    Expand Collapse

The Eggsoft "Campground Maps" which also puts up reviews from this wonderful site must be connected somehow to the Google Places. Looks like the widget thing you did would just save one keystroke (actually a finger stroke) on the droid. I have the Motrolla Droid. They have just come out with a new operating system that I have not gotten yet.

4. witherig

witherig
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(Lindsay Richards @ Aug 14 2010, 05:29 PM) [snapback]23539[/snapback]

The Eggsoft "Campground Maps" which also puts up reviews from this wonderful site must be connected somehow to the Google Places. Looks like the widget thing you did would just save one keystroke (actually a finger stroke) on the droid. I have the Motrolla Droid. They have just come out with a new operating system that I have not gotten yet.

sounds neat i have verizon lg ally android. have looked and looked for the app. i should have it right???

5. Florida Native

Florida Native
    Expand Collapse

I have two
    PLACES and PLACES DIRECTORY

I spent about 30 minutes looking for them and could not find either again. There is nothing in the application that would tell me where I got it. Sorry

6. joez

joez
    Expand Collapse

When I upgraded the Android OS on my phone, an updated Google Maps came with it. I think the Places app is part of the upgraded Google Maps.

7. Florida Native

Florida Native
    Expand Collapse

That makes a whole lot of sense.

Thanks

8. Ag Sag

Ag Sag
    Expand Collapse

I know that the people/person behind RV Park Reviews was also working on a mobile app. We use Trip Advisor to find meals & sights to see that others have recommended.

Bill

QUOTE(Lindsay Richards @ Sep 10 2010, 01:29 PM) [snapback]24027[/snapback]

That makes a whole lot of sense.

Thanks

9. Florida Native

Florida Native
    Expand Collapse

Back when we were in the lodging business, we realized that about 80% of the reviews on Trip Advisor for our small town were actually bogus. Owners would write great review about themselves and bad reviews about their competition. It is almost impossible for them to stop this and I would give any review from Trip Advisor very little weight. Here, we have the 3 review rule which cuts down on cheating. If you want to look at Trip Advisor, discount reviews that have only one review in the reviewers history.

Good Luck

10. RFCN2

RFCN2
    Expand Collapse

I have a Motorola Android and just tried out google places. It worked better on RV parks than Diesel Truck stops. I like big wide open truck stops that our 42' gets around in easy and they seemed to find many more places than that when I just tired it.

11. Skymessenger

Skymessenger
    Expand Collapse

Which is best.... goodle a campround or Rv Parks? Or Both? Is there one that you will get a better result. While we are at it... can someone explain the difference between A Campground and A RV Park?

12. Florida Native

Florida Native
    Expand Collapse

I now have a new Droid as my old one got dropped into a glass of tea (don't ask). It is using the 2.2 version of the software. I can get to campgrounds via Google Maps, but it doesn't present me with a text list, but shows them on the map. I am still working with it as we just got the new one yesterday. By the way, they are discontinuing it and the new ones are even better.

13. Texasrvers

Texasrvers
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

QUOTE(Skymessenger @ Oct 9 2010, 09:49 AM) [snapback]24532[/snapback]

can someone explain the difference between A Campground and A RV Park?

This is certainly an unofficial answer, but I think most people consider a campground to be in a more rustic, natural setting. They normally allow tents and camp fires and may not have many amenities such as swimming pools, cable TV, and Wi-FI. RV parks tend to be more manicured with concrete pads, and many amenities including pools, spas, cable TV, Wi-Fi, exercise rooms, clubs, etc. Many parks do not allow tents, and many do not allow fires. Course it is not unusual to find lots of places that hit in the middle of these two descriptions so it is difficult to know what to call them.

You did not mention it, but I think there is another category--RV resort. Basically I see a resort as being a full service park. They should provide very large, landscaped sites, full hook-ups, and numerous amenities. I think this term is used too loosely, but hey, I don't name the places.

At best there is probably a fairly thin line between these three types of places, and I don't think you can expect to find one particular atmosphere based on just the name. That is why reviews should thoroughly describe the place so that others get an idea of its "looks" and accommodations.