Tow Our 36 Foot 1951 Spartan From Ca To Ga

Discussion in 'General Community Discussions' started by Spartan, Aug 15, 2010.

1. Spartan

Spartan
    Expand Collapse

We have a beautiful 1951 Spartan Imperial Mansion located in Julian, CA. It was originally moved to this location by a 3/4 tonne pickup truck. We are not looking to break the bank on this move. We would like any suggestions on companies you might have used before or someone you might know. We are looking to move it to either GA or SC in possibly October. Thanks.

2. Texasrvers

Texasrvers
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

I can't help you with any companies, but I am curious. Would you actually pull the trailer or is it possible that you could put it on a flat bed 18 wheeler to move it? I have no idea which would be cheaper, but it might be an option to consider.

3. Spartan

Spartan
    Expand Collapse

Not sure if I am responding in the correct place or not....but thanks, yes we have considered it but the trailer already is 36' and there are some hairpin curves for the first 30 minutes of the drive...not sure how long the flatbed and the truck pulling it would be. Her tires are new...ish, only driven on once in 4 years. Thinking that towing it would also be less expensive, as we could even do that ourselves....just looking at other options and ideas.
    Thanks, L

QUOTE(Spartan @ Aug 15 2010, 04:43 PM) [snapback]23551[/snapback]

We have a beautiful 1951 Spartan Imperial Mansion located in Julian, CA. It was originally moved to this location by a 3/4 tonne pickup truck. We are not looking to break the bank on this move. We would like any suggestions on companies you might have used before or someone you might know. We are looking to move it to either GA or SC in possibly October. Thanks.

4. wpr

wpr
    Expand Collapse

Hi Spartan & welcome,

If you do decide to have you beauty towed I think it would be wise to get here new tires, even though her present tires look fine. Tires age very quickly, especially when they are not moving, and even though the treads might look fine the rubber compound has certainly aged a lot. You don't want a tread belt separate while towing at 60 miles an hour, it does nothing good to the underside of your trailer. Trust me, I know from personal experience....

5. rgatijnet

rgatijnet
    Expand Collapse

6. Spartan

Spartan
    Expand Collapse

nothing I want to replicate, thanks for your memories and suggestions

QUOTE(wprigge @ Aug 18 2010, 07:52 AM) [snapback]23597[/snapback]

Hi Spartan & welcome,

If you do decide to have you beauty towed I think it would be wise to get here new tires, even though her present tires look fine. Tires age very quickly, especially when they are not moving, and even though the treads might look fine the rubber compound has certainly aged a lot. You don't want a tread belt separate while towing at 60 miles an hour, it does nothing good to the underside of your trailer. Trust me, I know from personal experience....

7. Spartan

Spartan
    Expand Collapse

8. chickenpants

chickenpants
    Expand Collapse

What you are looking for is called hot shot hauling. If you can find someone local I'm thinking $1.75 per mile would be a ballpark number. If the hauler does not originate from your local area then you may be looking at a per mile dead head fee from their point of origination to your location.

9. bjma

bjma
    Expand Collapse

wow, this reminds me of the Lucy Ball movie " Long Long Trailer".