Question For You Sat Tv Users

Discussion in 'General Community Discussions' started by Bud in Florida, Aug 21, 2010.

1. Bud in Florida

Bud in Florida
    Expand Collapse

I have been thinking of getting a SAT TV system for my RV. I was talking to a provider today and said that I was planning on taking one of he receivers out of the house and using it in the RV. They said that was fine, but if I went more than about 250 miles from my home address I would lose local stations ie CBS,NBC,ABC and Fox. That I could still get my package stations, but no network stations. Is this true? That would be a bummer. Looking for input from you sat tv people. Thanks

2. rgatijnet

rgatijnet
    Expand Collapse

Yes, that is true, to a point. Our DirecTV receiver is home based out of Maryland. With that cone of reception, we still get Maryland local station in all or part of 13 states. Depending on where you are located, the distance that you can receive local stations varies.
    We still travel all over the US and when we are out of our local area, we find that in most cases, our crank up antenna will get the local stations and many of the parks have cable service, which will also provide us with the network stations.
    To tell the truth, when we are on the road for 30-60 days at a time, after the first few days, we really don't care too much about the local news, either from back home or where we are at the time. No matter where we are, we can get the national news, the weather channel, and these provide us with all that we need to enjoy our trips. With the improvement of the various satellite channels, we do not miss the old network stations very much at all.

3. Denali

Denali
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(Bud in Florida @ Aug 21 2010, 10:35 AM) [snapback]23644[/snapback]

I have been thinking of getting a SAT TV system for my RV. I was talking to a provider today and said that I was planning on taking one of he receivers out of the house and using it in the RV. They said that was fine, but if I went more than about 250 miles from my home address I would lose local stations ie CBS,NBC,ABC and Fox. That I could still get my package stations, but no network stations. Is this true? That would be a bummer. Looking for input from you sat tv people. Thanks

That is true.

For some years now, local stations have been spot-beamed to the local area. The distance you can travel and still receive them varies widely because you are not likely in the exact center of the beam, and the spot-beam area is not even close to circular.

For full-timers, the solution is to file an RV Waiver with your satellite provider and get the networks via what are called "Distant Network Services". The RV Waiver certifies that the receiver is not in a fixed location but in an RV. DNS costs $10-15/month extra. With DirecTV, you get DNS from DirecTV. For Dish Network, you buy it from a third party. In either case, you get the four networks from the east coast and/or the west coast (it's up to you).

Even with DNS you don't get your local programming, e.g., local news, unless you happen to live in the city from which DNS programming originates.

4. bjma

bjma
    Expand Collapse

I can only tell you MY EXPERIANCE...

I live in a major market (near Cincinnati). I subscribe to DirecTV and pay extra for the local channels.

I wanted to get the local channels while camping, and found that I could not. I had to apply for the "east coast feed"...

OK, so I requested the East Coast Feed, and was refused. I explained that this was the RV, but it seems that the LOCAL BROADCASTERS must agree to allow me to receive the ABC, NBC, CBS, and Fox feeds when I was not at home.

I started writting letters to the local broadcasters (WCPO, WLWT, WKRC, WXIX) and all refused.

DirecTV said that if I had an account just for the RV, I could get the west coast and east coast feeds, BUT I would not be able to get the local channels...

My plan is if I ever drop DirecTV, and pick it up again, it will be an RV account, and then I would use an antenna for the local channels.

5. Browzin

Browzin
    Expand Collapse

This is a map for Directv, dish will be similar.

As you can see the coverage area of a given spot beam will vary by your location.

[​IMG]

6. witherig

witherig
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(Browzin @ Aug 22 2010, 01:47 AM) [snapback]23660[/snapback]

This is a map for Directv, dish will be similar.

As you can see the coverage area of a given spot beam will vary by your location.

[​IMG]

QUESTION .The reciever when you reach your destination (the campground) and you set up the dish. do you have to reprogram your reciever with that campgrounds zip code to tune in?
    also where can you get just the dish if you take your reciever from home.

7. rgatijnet

rgatijnet
    Expand Collapse

If you just want a manual dish that you can set on the ground and aim yourself, it is hard to beat the pricees on eBay.
    If you want an in-motion, HD, or fixed automatic dish, most any RV supply store sells those. Installation is not too difficult. On my automatic dishes, I do not have to reprogram my receiver as to where I am, they will still lock on to a satellite when I turn the dish on.
    On a manual dish, the only reason why you have to put in a zip code on setup is to give you the direction to aim your dish.

8. MATurner

MATurner
    Expand Collapse

We don't do this with ours, but others have said that when they get to the RV park, they call Direct TV and change their address to that of the RV park where they are staying. Then they get the local feed. That seems like loads of trouble to me, but if it's important to you, then I suppose you can do that. We use our antenna for local TV or just watch the National news on Fox. :D

9. chickenpants

chickenpants
    Expand Collapse

My preference is to get the local (wherever I'm at) channels with my crank up antenna and get them in HD.

10. Browzin

Browzin
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(witherig @ Aug 24 2010, 11:49 AM) [snapback]23705[/snapback]

QUESTION .The reciever when you reach your destination (the campground) and you set up the dish. do you have to reprogram your reciever with that campgrounds zip code to tune in?
    also where can you get just the dish if you take your reciever from home.

As already posted, the only reason to change the zip code info on the receiver is to obtain your dish aiming headings.

Now it is not necessary to use the info from the receiver, there are a lot of different programs that will give you the same information.

Here is a list of just a few of them, that is available;

Satellite locator programs, take your pick,

http://www.datastormusers.com/lookangle.cfm

http://centre.telemanage.ca/img/pix.nsf/web/satellite_finder

http://www.rvnetworking.com/StarBandUserGuide/Index.cfm

http://www.emantechnology.com/store/pc/lookangle.asp

http://www.dishpointer.com/

http://www.sadoun.com/Sat/Installation/Sat...-Calculator.htm

http://vps.arachnoid.com/satfinder/index.html

http://vps.arachnoid.com/satfinderonline/

Now as far as where to get a portable dish to take along with you, if you only need a Standard def. dish, most installers have used ones that they need to dispose of and are willing to let you have one for any where from free to a few bucks. Personally I probably give away a half dozen a year to people that want them, otherwise they just go in the dumpster at our shop.

11. rgatijnet

rgatijnet
    Expand Collapse

One thing that should be mentioned is the type of dish that you purchase. A single LNB dish will get you limited DirecTV programming. The slimline 5 LNB oval dish will get you everything, including all of the HD channels, BUT, it is difficult to aim manually. A 3 LNB(if I remember right), will get you most all of the main DirecTV channels and is still fairly easy to aim.

12. Browzin

Browzin
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(rgatijnet @ Aug 25 2010, 05:22 AM) [snapback]23724[/snapback]
    One thing that should be mentioned is the type of dish that you purchase. A single LNB dish will get you limited DirecTV programming. The slimline 5 LNB oval dish will get you everything, including all of the HD channels, BUT, it is difficult to aim manually. A 3 LNB(if I remember right), will get you most all of the main DirecTV channels and is still fairly easy to aim.

Ok a few corrections are needed to the above post.

A single LNB dish from Directv will get you all the Standard def. stations.

A triple lnb aka "Phase III" dish will 3 LNB's for the 101, 110, 119 satellites. This is only needed for people wanting only Standard def plus foreign broadcast, also so limited areas still have there locals stations broadcast on the 119 satellite, these are being moved off of the 119 as quickly as Directv can make the change and deliver the new receivers to customers in those areas. Basically it is a very limited use dish that is being eliminated.

The Slimline 5 dish is only needed if you want HD & Foreign language stations. The 110-119 satellites carry foreign language now "NO" HD broadcasting. This dish only has 3 lnb heads but actually receives 5 different satellites. (3 LNB's in one head 99,101,103 and 110,119 on the other 2)

The Slimline 3 dish will get you all the Standard def programs and all the HD programs, the only items that it will not receive is those local programs that are still on the 119 and foreign programing. This is not a concern to RV use unless you want the foreign programs. You can not subscribe to local programing that is located on the 119 satellite anymore, Directv is busy moving everyone off of it. The Slimline 3 dish has 1 LNB for 99,101,103 satellites.

Here is a picture of a Directv LNB for standard def reception on the 101 satellite.

[​IMG]

Here is a picture of a Directv Phase III LNB for 101, 110, 119 satellites

[​IMG]

Here is a picture of a Directv Slimline 5 LNB 99,101,103, 110,119 satellites

[​IMG]

Here is a picture of a Directv Slimline 3 LNB 99,101,103 satellites

[​IMG]

Dish Network has a variety of different dishes and LNB's like Directv does. If any one needs pictures to identify those as well, I can post them.

Now for those of you that wonder why it is so easy to lock onto the wrong satellite while trying to setup your dish this picture from the NASA website of all the satellites that are in orbit at the elevation this picture was taken from.

[​IMG]

This picture was taken from even deeper in space showing even more satellites

[​IMG]

Also for more discussion of Satellite TV go to this post here on RV Parks Review forums

https://www.campgroundreviews.com/invboard/inde...amp;#entry16868

13. Trailer Park Casanova

Trailer Park Casanova
    Expand Collapse

We have 2 RV's and both have Direct TV.
    We get all our West coast local stations when we visit the East Coast or anyplace else.
    In fact, we get all our programming everyplace.

The enclosed covered dish is fantastic.
    When windstorms arrive ya don't have to lower the dish.

Drawback with the enclosed dishes is ya can NOT catch the Direct TV HDTV signals, they aren't compatible with the HD receiver boxes either

14. Browzin

Browzin
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(Trailer Park Casanova @ Aug 28 2010, 04:07 AM) [snapback]23794[/snapback]
    We get all our West coast local stations when we visit the East Coast or anyplace else.

You brought up two items that I forgot to mention;

1) If you happen to live in the New York City "DMA" or the Los Angeles "DMA" you will receive your locals any where because they are the two "DMA's" that are designated as "East Coast & West Coast DNS" (Those are the two areas that you will receive if you sign up for "DNS" from Directv.)

{DMA = Designated Market Area, this is determined by Nielsen Rating Grp. - - - DNS = Distant Network Service, used for those that cannot receive programing in a given local area, like RVers, Truckers etc.} Please note that Dish Network uses different cities with different "DMA's" to allow for there partner company to allow you to receive "DNS".

Drawback with the enclosed dishes is ya can NOT catch the Direct TV HDTV signals, they aren't compatible with the HD receiver boxes either

2) Some, but not all dome dishes can be used with Dish Network HD, (most of the older models will not support the programing needed to find the 129 sat.) The newer models will work just fine.

Now with Directv you are out of luck, unless you have a low profile RV (RV that is 11 ft or less in height) and you want to spend the BIG $$$ (around $7,000 plus) if you fall into that category then you are in luck and can have a in motion Dome satellite dish for Directv.

{Need to mention that you can get a open face dish from Winegard that cranks up/down for Directv HD.}

There is two different companies that are building these at the present time, "Intellian" is the brand I install, and yes these have a primary use on boats/yachts etc. and yes they average about 28" tall which makes them too tall for most RV's, but I have installed 2 this year, one on a class C and the other on a travel trailer, so yes technically you can get in-motion-satellite TV in a dome for Directv.

15. rgatijnet

rgatijnet
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(Trailer Park Casanova @ Aug 28 2010, 08:07 AM) [snapback]23794[/snapback]

The enclosed covered dish is fantastic.
    When windstorms arrive ya don't have to lower the dish.

We have the in-motion dome which works great. When we are parked we use the Winegard SK-3005 automatic dish which, at the push of a button, locates and locks on to the satellites and allows us to receive all of the DirecTV HD programming. These are fully automatic and can be purchased for less than $1500. Installation is easy and having the Winegard on the front of the coach and the dome on the rear, it also allows us to get satellite reception in some wooded RV sites without having to use a portable dish. We have never had to lower the Winegard dish, even in winds that rocked the coach. It is a pretty beefy antenna structure.

16. joez

joez
    Expand Collapse

If I am hijacking this thread, please forgive me and moderator please move where appropriate. I have a Winegard "Movin View" enclosed dish (stationary) , Model MV3535A. According to the manual for this dish, it is capable of recieving the full lineup of Direct TV HD by adding Winegard HD Satellite Interface Model WB-2000, and Direct TV 110 degree W Convertor, Model WB-1100. I had planned while parked this winter to add HD to the motorhome. Am I kidding myself?

17. Browzin

Browzin
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(joez @ Aug 28 2010, 08:49 AM) [snapback]23803[/snapback]

If I am hijacking this thread, please forgive me and moderator please move where appropriate. I have a Winegard "Movin View" enclosed dish (stationary) , Model MV3535A. According to the manual for this dish, it is capable of recieving the full lineup of Direct TV HD by adding Winegard HD Satellite Interface Model WB-2000, and Direct TV 110 degree W Convertor, Model WB-1100. I had planned while parked this winter to add HD to the motorhome. Am I kidding myself?

The movin view MV3535A has long since been discontinued.

It was designed to pickup Directv satellites 101 &119.

Now Directv has moved all HD off of the 110 &119 satellites, HD is now found on the 99 &103 satellites, with the 101 satellite being the standard def. satellite.

The movin view will work for Dish Network 110 & 119 satellites.

18. Traveling man

Traveling man
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(Bud in Florida @ Aug 21 2010, 12:35 PM) [snapback]23644[/snapback]

Yes, you no longer get your local stations. I had that same thought at one time, but found that you don't really miss them thanks to the internet. Network shows are often available on the internet, and your local television station website may have stories and film from the broadcasts.

19. RVThereYet

RVThereYet
    Expand Collapse

Our trips are also usually on the longer side. We have DirecTV also and were told we've had to sign a waiver and pay an additional $10 a month to retain our local channels.

We chose not to do it. We watch CNN for news and read our local paper online to stay in touch with home info. But we have found that we don't really miss the local channels much. My only concern is that I may miss my Lakers games and I don't want to pay for the NBA package!

20. RFCN2

RFCN2
    Expand Collapse

We have an almost new MotoSat TV dish with Direct TV. We move our house DVR to our motor home when we RV. On our last trip with the new MotoSat we got both standard CBS type channels and TNT type anywhere we went. After we were about 250 miles away our local channels were not there. Meaning San Diego only channels like 9. We got HD just fine. Most of the time when we went to a new place it took 15-20 minutes for the Sat to find the birds and Direct to get all the channels on the box. But it was all automatic and worked well.